My Japan Question

Talk about anything Japan-related.

My Japan Question

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Tue May 01, 2007 12:03 pm

I am sure that this has been discussed countless times here but, I stumbled across this video where some guy said that "Japan, were crap for three albums." And, that they would be the first to admit it. First off anyone who cannot realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex is a tone deaf moron. Why would someone say something like that? Let alone the band who recorded the albums. Why did they shun those albums on "Oil On Canvas"?

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnP0mUMx5DM
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: My Japan Question

Postby heartofdavid on Tue May 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:First off anyone who cannot realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex is a tone deaf moron. Why would someone say something like that? Let alone the band who recorded the albums. Why did they shun those albums on "Oil On Canvas"?
I think all the band thought Quiet Life was okay, but I've only comments from Rich that were positive regarding the first two. David did an acoustic version of The Other Side of Life on the blemish tour, so obviously he still likes (at least) that tune.

I can understand why they dropped songs from the first two albums off the set list - they don't fit stylistically, and vocally would have required much different arrangement. But they did have songs from QL on the setlist of that tour, were still doing Nightporter at least - just didn't make the final cut.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Tue May 01, 2007 1:49 pm

many thanks for the video...
I never saw it...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Wed May 02, 2007 11:32 am

Rhodesia32 wrote:I am sure that this has been discussed countless times here but, I stumbled across this video where some guy said that "Japan, were crap for three albums." And, that they would be the first to admit it. First off anyone who cannot realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex is a tone deaf moron. Why would someone say something like that? Let alone the band who recorded the albums. Why did they shun those albums on "Oil On Canvas"?

Here is the video.

Hiya, Rhodesia32! I DO realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex! And Alternatives :) And always feel sad about the fact I do really love the first two albums exceptionally...
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm

S4pB wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote:I am sure that this has been discussed countless times here but, I stumbled across this video where some guy said that "Japan, were crap for three albums." And, that they would be the first to admit it. First off anyone who cannot realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex is a tone deaf moron. Why would someone say something like that? Let alone the band who recorded the albums. Why did they shun those albums on "Oil On Canvas"?

Here is the video.

Hiya, Rhodesia32! I DO realize the brilliance of Adolescent Sex! And Alternatives :) And always feel sad about the fact I do really love the first two albums exceptionally...

I don't think it is any secret around here that I have always loved the first two albums and that if the guys don't like it that is just too bad because I love all of their work, including the first two, and I will never change my mind about that. The difference in style is just the evolution of their sound and experience over time, and is nothing for them to be ashamed of.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Fri May 04, 2007 3:02 pm

krausy wrote:
I don't think it is any secret around here that I have always loved the first two albums and that if the guys don't like it that is just too bad because I love all of their work, including the first two, and I will never change my mind about that. The difference in style is just the evolution of their sound and experience over time, and is nothing for them to be ashamed of.

I totally agree with you!
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 pm

Now, don't hurt me for this but, it seems to me that maybe they were trying to play up their new wave cred a bit when they started to make albums like Quiet Life? I LOVE all their albums, but like someone said the first two albums are nothing to be ashamed of. They were just young and experimenting with their sound, that they hadn't quite found yet.

Also I want to punch that fat guy who says "Japan were crap for three albums." What a dork.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Fri May 04, 2007 3:12 pm

I believe that was their manager, Simon.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Yeah, Simon was their manager at the time. Although in his career he has represented many different artists, Simon just did not seem like the right fit for Japan. What little I have read so far of Simon's books about his career experiences I do get that feeling.

Quiet Life was a big transitional time, and alot of people on this site name this album as their favorite, but just as many name GTP as their fave too. Both are awesome albums. I tend to see this particular phase as a big change in image, especially for David. Some say he is very Bryan Ferry-esque at this point, and I do see similarities. Then they made Tin Drum and just seemed to break all the rules even more than they already were.

All the albums stand on their own. I was thinking earlier tonight while at work, that this band has really evolved over time, alot like the Beatles did in the course of their career. I 've seen other bands do this as well, but not as dynamically as Japan did.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Sat May 05, 2007 12:44 pm

krausy wrote:
S4pB wrote:

Here is the video.

I think the only thing that someone should be ashamed for is that he said he is... or attempts to say the whole thing in 70's was a lie and pretending and nothing more.. it's like to say you've come to this world bein' 30 years old or something... nobody can't be the same during his life, all we are changing and passing through certain stages, and none should refuse anything in his life, cos' mistakes make us wiser, build us personally..
I'm very sorry for anything wrong I've said, but I feel very very hurt about the situation...
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 05, 2007 2:31 pm

S4pB wrote:I'm very sorry for anything wrong I've said, but I feel very very hurt about the situation...
I don't think you've said anything wrong in expressing your opinion.

But I am curious if you feel hurt that David himself feels that way about the first two albums? His life, his mistake (as he sees it) - awkward for him because it was on public view.

And as for that video (which I haven't watched), what difference does it make anyway what that person thinks? If you like and enjoy those albums that's all that should matter. :wink:
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Sun May 06, 2007 2:50 pm

heartofdavid wrote:But I am curious if you feel hurt that David himself feels that way about the first two albums?

Hll, Yeah! :cry:

karnsculpture wrote:Paul Morley was the one saying Japan were crap for the first 3 albums. You have to take his comments into context. He became a close friend of Sylvian's and I believe influenced the way David saw his own music at the time Japan split. He was one of the people (with Sakamoto) who DS is known to have bounced ideas off as he started to plan his solo career. Morley was a writer in the NME and championed Japan and YMO/Sakamoto - but was quite forthright in the opinion that Tin Drum was the best they did, particularly Ghosts. It's not that he didn't like some of their earlier work, but he was very much encouraging Sylvian to move forward in a more unique direction.

That Paul Morley... Hmm... encouraging Sylvian to move forward in a more unique direction??! Oh... "Thanks" him so much! =applause= :?
=speechless=
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby New Romantik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 pm

I got a random question: In the Japanese interview, what is that Japanese band sitting with them? They play this funky tune and then it cuts back to them sitting around with the members of JAPAN...who are those guys?
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 pm

New Romantik wrote:I got a random question: In the Japanese interview, what is that Japanese band sitting with them? They play this funky tune and then it cuts back to them sitting around with the members of JAPAN...who are those guys?

My wild guess without referring to the picture would be members of Yellow Magic Orchestra--am I right?
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion