In The Beginning...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm

MoodyB wrote:I still have that very same 12" of AOP and it still gives me a smile to this day!

What a treasure! That is sooo cool.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:58 pm

It was Adolescent Sex, and I found the video on someones myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:46 am

I saw quiet life on video in a friends house, i was hooked ever since.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby frus_polaroids on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 pm

It was one year ago when I was 14 and saw some artists that influenced Duran Duran so I listened the first track of their first album and it shocked me. Then I saw some videos in Youtube and I spare all the time watching them. I couldn't understand how people from that age have make those marvellous songs.
frus_polaroids
Noob
Noob

Postby Melaszka on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 am

In the early 80s I was at boarding school, where the communal stereo meant you ended up having to listen to what the other girls in your dorm liked, whether you wanted to or not. A couple of girls were majorly obsessive about Japan, so I had to listen to them a lot. Hated it, absolutely hated it, at first, but it gradually grew on me.

A real turning point was seeing "Ghosts" on TOTP. It touched me in a very deep way.

Lost track of what DS was doing after Brilliant Trees, but still carried on listening to the Japan stuff. Then in the mid 90s, a chance conversation with a guy in my theatre group revealed that he was really into DS solo stuff, but had never heard any Japan. We arranged to swap tapes and I was totally smitten.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

For me it was when I saw the Forbidden Colours video on TOTP. I did some quick research and rushed out to buy... not FC, strangely enough, but Quiet Life and the Live In Tokyo EP. That was 25 years ago! :shock:

Btw frus_polaroids... what does 'frus' mean? And welcome :D

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby frus_polaroids on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Btw frus_polaroids... what does 'frus' mean? And welcome :D

Thanks, for me it's very interesting to know there is a forum where you can discuss about this great band. Here in Argentina no one knows Japan, and it's very difficult to buy their cds.
Frus= Surf :P I love watching extreme sports.
frus_polaroids
Noob
Noob

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:29 pm

frus_polaroids wrote:Thanks, for me it's very interesting to know there is a forum where you can discuss about this great band. Here in Argentina no one knows Japan, and it's very difficult to buy their cds.
Frus= Surf :P I love watching extreme sports.

Well, I think you'll enjoy it here! Sometimes even in the UK it's hard to find people who know Japan.

I asked about your name because I love languages and like knowing what things mean. Don't speak any Spanish though... except for paella :D Now I've got a mental picture of you on a surfboard!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:44 am

Don't speak any Spanish though... except for paella

That was invented over here where I am. Do not believe others :-D

*zips mouth, cos I am very off topic*

Welcome frus!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:40 am

karnsculpture wrote: Then they split up at their absolute peak - which is why "Oil On Canvas" and a year later "Brilliant Trees" did so well in the charts. That whole time was amazing in terms of good music being released and I am glad that I was a kid and then a teenager in the 80's.

Yes, I know what you mean! It felt really exciting to be a teenager in the early 80's, it felt (to me anyway) that all this new music belonged to us, and was made for us ... I know that sounds a bit conceited but that's what I felt at the time. I first heard Japan "European Son" on a compilation album in 1981. I just adored the phrase using the word "luncheonette" I thought that was so clever and witty, and the synth sound was just so subtle, not like the really dramatic synth lines of Gary Numan, or John Foxx/Ultravox. The first time I actually saw Japan on TV, was during their Top of the Pops appearance for "Quiet Life" I remember they didn't look anything like I expected them to! They were very debonaire and smart, and very, very restrained. However, unlike some of you, I didn't fall in love with DS at all - he looked really haughty to me, and very uncomfortable in front of the cameras. Guess I was already used to the more flamboyant characters around at the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:20 pm

March 1980.

I was an obsessive collector of coloured vinyl and picture disc singles. Hmmm , Nothing much has changed in 28 years.

Hansa released 'I Second That Emotion/Quiet Life' as a red Vinyl 7" Single. I found it in Callers a department store in Newcastle (It used to have the BEST record department) Bought it, took it back to a friend's house. He Hated it, I Loved it. The Rest is History.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 am

I had by an accident discovered YMO in the end of the 70s
and in the same record shop I bought Assemblage. later Tin Drum.
I was so happy when the two front figures went together for Bamboo Music, Bamboo Houses. and later Forbidden Colours...
I bought Smash Hits at the time and it was full of Japan for a couple of years.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:19 pm

The Unconventional, it hooked me.

Since I love Phoenix, I like their friends, Air. I heard Air made a compilation Album (LateNightTales) , so I tried it. At first, I thought that album is too dark for me, I didn't listen to it well for 5 days.
Next 5 days, I noticed Scott Walker has great voice, to listen to "The Old Man's Back Again", I played the album from "Ghosts" .
One evening, I went out with LateNightTales, watching full bloom of cherry blossoms, listening to "Ghosts".
Sometimes japanese become sentimental when they see scattering cherry blossoms.
"Ghosts" were very good for that event, so I got "Tin Drum"

As I posted yesterday somewhere, soon I saw Japan plays "Quiet Life" at Top of the Pops, then "Adolescent Sex" video, I rushed to CD store to buy 'Adolescent Sex' album. When I heard "The Unconventional", I loved the tune immediately. but I'd like to complain about the tune... it's too short!!
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:54 am

I have to say I'm another fan who has to blame Nick Rhodes and Duran Duran... I think I was talking with Nath on a DD forum and she told me you have to listen to them after I ask what's the big deal between Japan and Duran and moreover Nick. Not sure anymore how was it, but I found life in tokyo and that was it....

Here I am
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion