Who was Cyo on "Methods of Dance"?

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Who was Cyo on "Methods of Dance"?

Postby missouriman on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Does anybody know anything at all about the singer credited as Cyo on "Methods of Dance"?
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Who was Cyo on "Methods of Dance"?

Postby karnsculpture on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm

No idea. I've asked Steve and Rich and it was one of the things they didn't answer. I can only speculate it was one of their girl friends - if it were a known singer it would have come out by now. I did have a mad thought it might have been one of them singing falsetto but the voice isn't quite right. Lovely track.

Anthony Reynolds plans to publish the full-length version of his Classic Pop article on Polaroids at some point, he tracked down the other session players, maybe he found Cyo?
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I always thought it was Yuka Fujii? something read from years back..
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't think it's Yuka, though she did re-connect with the band around the time of Polaroids having originally met and photographed them in 79 in Japan. It's her voice on Talking Drum and Still Life In Mobile Homes, quite different to the voice on Methods, which sounds a little like Akiko Yano (although it can't be her she was in Japan at the time, Miu was less than 3 months old).
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dizrythmia on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:30 pm

yeah, i don't think it sounds anything like yuka either (or any other singer featured in any other japan song). at this point i've figured that since it wasn't revealed in mick's book, it's likely to remain a mystery. if anthony reynolds does manage to dig up who cyo is i'd be surprised, just because the band seems to have kept a tight lid on who it is all this time.

i've also learned to be incredibly pessimistic about these things, though, so i could be wrong.
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Postby karnsculpture on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 pm

I asked Anthony last night if he found out - no joy. It's either an ex, a friend who didn't want to be known by the public, or a singer who had a contract with another label so had to work under a pseudonym.

I'm listening to it right now, and it resembles Akiko Yano most closely from the possible candidates. It is possible she and Miu came to London with Ryuichi that August. Miu would have been approaching 4 months old.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 pm

sandii from the sunsets...
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:49 am

Nope not Sandii, she didn't know them then.

I found evidence to suggest it was Akiko Yano as she was in Europe at the time working with Ryuichi on a Kazuhiko Kato album (though he dropped out of some sessions due to exhaustion). To cut a long story short Rich won't say who it was, preferring that this remain a mystery. I'm going with the theory that it's one or more of them singing falsetto for now.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:07 am

Although I wouldn't rule it out 100%, I don't think it has the timbre of Akiko Yano, and I have never heard her sing something quite that sultry. If it was her, I think they would have credited her, perhaps simply with "Akko". Sakamoto is on the album as well, after all. I don't see why they would have been coy or kept that a secret.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:56 am

natsume wrote:Although I wouldn't rule it out 100%, I don't think it has the timbre of Akiko Yano, and I have never heard her sing something quite that sultry. If it was her, I think they would have credited her, perhaps simply with "Akko". Sakamoto is on the album as well, after all. I don't see why they would have been coy or kept that a secret.

The only reason may be that she was possibly in a tricky legal situation at the time, going through a divorce and also changing record labels before the release of "Gohan Ga Dekiyayo". It only sounds like her though if you have her in your head. I think she has sounded like that on occasion, for example on "Dogs Awaiting" and a bit on "Rose Garden" though you are right, the voice isn't quite right. We may yet find out, a couple more people who were at the recording sessions are contributing to Anthony Reynolds book.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion