Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby missouriman on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Life in Tokyo Theme

Postby Bern on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah I remember that one, when Hansa rereleased Life in Tokyo after Japan had some chart success in 1982 this was the B side, I seem to remember reading Sylvian and MK had something to do with the remix so whether it was recorded earlier and remixed, or recorded in 82 I don't know.

I do remember it was due to be played on the radio 1 top 40 run down on a Sunday (it was somewhere in the top 30 at the time) and they played that version rather than the A side and it bombed out of the charts the next week
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 am

'Lol'? Glad we have some teens here.

'Lol'

The 'slow version' was just a cheapo 'remix' done by Hansa. Just a section of the original slowed down, nothing more.

Wonder who has the 'Mulligan' portrait now?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

The band (or members of anyway) made this remix. That '82 release and All Tomorrow's Parties were an attempt to have a little more influence on the Hansa releases. David is on record saying he wasn't happy with Hansa who were talking about releasing Adolescent Sex as a follow-up to Second That Emotion. Listen to the A side of that Tokyo single and you can hear Mick's bass is a better performance and overall the mix is most similar to their live version.

Don't you think it's cool, like an Orb remix but 10 years earlier?
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 am

I Know that Mick went in and overdubbed some parts onto the A-side and that Steve Nye remixed the a-sides, but Im sure I remember reading that the 'Theme' was done by an in house engineer.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 pm

No, Tokyo is the one that Steve Nye didn't remix, he did European Son, Second That Emotion and All Tomorrow's Parties. It's a bit murky because like his recent involvement in compilations and the like, David distanced himself somewhat from the reissues, as it conflicted a little with his stance of always moving forward.

Note that its the '82 mix that appeared on The Very Best of Japan.

The most mysterious Tokyo remix is the one that has a totally different sound that's on the Japanese Assemblage/UK cassette (and some later reissues). It was done in '79 but didn't come out until '83. The tape was in the BMG archive but the notes are puzzling. I wonder if it's something the group did in '79 as an alternative to Giorgio Moroder's mix. There's the short version too that turned up on "Souvenir From Japan". The original 12" mix took considerable tracking down but the original tapes were still in LA. We hoped there was an unknown Japan song on a tape in the same place but Moroder must have been working with more than one artist at the same time because the track was nothing like Japan and had a female vocal on it. Maybe it was a demo or something he intended for Japan that was not used (the band mentioned Moroder played David a few things before he wrote Tokyo)
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 am

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm

'Lol'. :mrgreen:
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to General Discussion