for the younger members...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:41 pm

My favorite album is actually the very middle one "The Colour of Spring" I like a lot of the stuff from the earlier and later albums, too, but TCOS is my favorite. My second favorite would be "It's my life" - Actually, I can't really decide between the two, I love them both!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Colour Of Spring is a great album - it really showed the way of where they were headed. Wish Hollis would do something new.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat May 20, 2006 10:02 am

Yes Indeed he should! I was hoping to hear more solo material after his last one. One of the most .... quietly serene albums I own. 8) Also I happen to like anything Tim F-G does. For Talk Talk, Laughing Stock is my favourite.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Sat May 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Here's my take on Mark Hollis (call me silly if you will...)

Since Talk Talk's beginning Mark has been continually removing more and more from his music, expanding the silences and saying more with less. By the time he had advanced to his solo album he was close to "Approaching Silence". :-)

So - the next step was just that: silence. You see, he's finished... mission accomplished :!:
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat May 20, 2006 7:20 pm

A post-modern John cage if you will :wink:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:04 pm

I saw Japan on TOTP 2 and that was that. I found my new favourite band.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm not a young one *leans on cane* but I'm certainly a new fan. Although I knew songs (Quiet Life and others), I had never paid much attention to Japan apart from the obvious Nick Rhodes/David Sylvian comparison that all the Duran fans know. 6 or 7 years ago I got a few Japan/David cds from a fellow Thai Duran fan and I started to slowly buy some stuff. Until 2 or 3 years ago that I started buying the cds and everything a bit faster :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: for the younger members...

Postby Rain on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:26 pm

(I know it's a long time since anyone posted on this - so forgive me if this is annoying ;D)

I was only about, hmm, 15 or 16 when I discovered them, I was getting really sick of there being no music I liked, so I decided to look through some music that was all mixed together on a cd. First I listened to the Beatles, Bowie, all the names I already knew, but I came across Visions of China and thought I'd see what it was like. At first I was a bit 'so-so' towards it (I was a huge Beatles and Kinks fan, so I was mostly used to guitars, bass, drums, and this was completely different).
On second listening, it felt like a different song - so fantastic, then I heard Ghosts and just had to research more.
Last edited by Rain on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain
Regular
Regular

Postby Barbierigirl on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I was in a car when quiet life came on, I asked who it was as I hadn't really heard anything like it before, anyway my mother said it was an 8o's band called Japan and she told a story about my aunty being a huge Sylvian fan back in the early 80's, anyway I forgot about them because I thought they would be just another pop group from the new wave romantic era but a week or so later Quiet Life came on again and I asked who it was again beacause I thought they were really quite good. Once I watched the quiet life video on youtube I was hooked. I was 14 when I discovered them in 2009 or 2010 and I have never liked modern music, only music from the 70s and 80s.e.g. bowie, t-rex, roxy music etc.
Last edited by Barbierigirl on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
People change and forget to tell each other - Lillian Hellman
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SylvianDarling on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm 15(just turned) and I discovered Japan when my Aunty died and I was left with all her old records and Japan was in amongst all her music ;-) . And I was also happy to discover The Beatles among her set also :-D
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to General Discussion