From high to low?

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Tanya80 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:12 am

krausy wrote:No dang joke, Tanya!!! "Swing" is the bomb!!!!! Phew, it IS getting hawt in heerrre!!!!!!

ha ha ha ***gives Krausy a fan***
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:13 am

One straightforward reason that seems to have been ignored; he got older !
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:56 pm

deadbees wrote:One straightforward reason that seems to have been ignored; he got older !

From Adolescent Sex to Gentlemen take polaroids there's only two years. It's not enough time to such change if the reason is only his age.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:53 am

[quote="Poisoned_Apathy"][quote="deadbees"]One straightforward reason that seems to have been ignored; he got older ![/quote]

From Adolescent Sex to Gentlemen take polaroids there's only two years. It's not enough time to such change if the reason is only his age.[/quote]

True, but on Adolescent Sex, David was no doubt using the same vocal style from when the band started (witness the 'Japan Demos' bootleg from 76-77) when he was 16. GTP was when he was 22+, that's going from a mid teen to an adult.
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 am

This is true... But I have noticed even in Japan's first album Mr. Sylvian was able so sing low... Such as when he sings "I'll take you out in the moonlight" on Communist China.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm

Silver Moon wrote:This is true... But I have noticed even in Japan's first album Mr. Sylvian was able so sing low... Such as when he sings "I'll take you out in the moonlight" on Communist China.

-K-

I have noticed this too, Silver Moon. In several different parts of different songs on both of the early albums He does sing lower. My take is that on some of the songs he sings at the top of his range, and almost like doing this on purpose. Perhaps some songs were in a key too high, or that is the vocal style he intended at the time for a particular song. In later albums though, he definitely found his key, his "comfort zone" so to speak.

His voice makes my toes curl--- :twisted:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: From high to low?

Postby fretlessboy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Well, my own feeling is that its a purely stylistic change. The reasons I feel this are that firstly, the live material from the changeover period shows him singing comfortably in BOTH styles.

Secondly, a tonsil operation doesnt go anywhere near the old vocal chords ( been there!).

For a singer who had the range David had at the time, singing higher is actually easier than singing in the deep tones of say ,Visions Of China.

How so? Think about it this way. He only becomes more unique when he starts singing low - who else was doing it? So therefore his apprenticeship if you like was spent singing higher like everyone else. He was used to it. And none of that stuff is particularly high anyway - its not Back In Black by a long chalk.

People often make that mistake. They hear someone singing higher than they can and they think " That's so HIGH..it must be straining his voice". But that might not be true. If you can sing high for 2 albums and the associated tours, you're probably well able to do so.

The lower register however...at first you have very limited power there. there are physical reasons for this. The lower the note, the more air you need to move to get it out there. Thats why bass speaker cabinets are bigger than guitar speakers. They move more air.

If he'd been singing high for his career up to that point, the low stuff would've been harder to sing just because the muscles needed to sing would not have been used to working in that region. And its also why he is so adept at it now. The muscles have developed significantly that allow singing low.

Hope that makes some sense.
fretlessboy
Noob
Noob

Postby neonico on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 pm

no but i read it tomorrow

and Seeing Love is special
neonico

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:45 am

fretlessboy wrote:Hope that makes some sense.

It's as clear as a sunny day. Thanks.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby mynewcareer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

As others have said, I think he was still finding his creative feet and it all came together with Quiet Life which was the last time there was some of the 'old' voice left.
Why, boy, they're playing our song
mynewcareer
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to General Discussion