Have you ever attended a Japan concert?

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Have you ever attended a Japan concert?

No
54%
No but I have attended a concert of one of the members.
23%
Yes!
23%

Total votes : 26

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:58 am

YOU BETTER SHARE THEM!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Art of Parties on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:11 pm

As you are SHOUTING - my first job after University which was in Solihull - i was chased down the High Street, these two girls thought i was John Taylor from Duran Duran, i resisted for seconds and signed their pictures, although i did protest that said person would not need the bus - ps i grew up with Nick Bates aka Rhodes, he stole my bicycle - I want it back Nick!!!!

Sadly there are two girls walking around now, thinking they have met Nigel (sorry John!) - it was me!!!
Im Burning!
Art of Parties
Noob
Noob

Postby proggrl on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm

HEheheheheeee ^^^

:lol: That's pretty funny. Those poor girls, I mean c'mon... at least they will die THINKING they are happy. :twisted:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Art of Parties on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:51 pm

Given your reasoning - do you think i met the short version of Japan??????
Im Burning!
Art of Parties
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 pm

ha ha... that is really funny AoP.... I had friends in Solihull that were complete nutters for JT.... They used to go round to Mrs. Taylor's house and she'd give them tea and tell them stories of JT.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:28 pm

Art of Parties wrote:The first was that i untied his white dance shoe whilst he was standing in front of me singing. (i know ban me from the forum)

Quite the contrary AoP, this raises you to almost Godlike status on the forum and I think Kera should add your picture after David, to indicate an even higher level of obsession.

(oooh - just listening to 'Sons of Pioneers' - sorry, will lose the ability to type for the next five minutes)

Ok, Im back...what was I saying, oh yes...

Art of Parties wrote:I am so surprised how many young people seem to like Japan et al, how the fire and brimstone did you discover them - at my age it is a bit like me finding someone cool in the 60/70s.

That puzzles me too. What is it about them that appeals to much younger people...? Is it purely the 'I've been born in the wrong decade' thing? Im fascinated.....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:55 pm

kinki wrote:That puzzles me too. What is it about them that appeals to much younger people...? Is it purely the 'I've been born in the wrong decade' thing? Im fascinated.....
Maybe it's that a lot of music and artists today are faceless, could be interchangeable with each other. I think it's partly the 'outsider' factor. Japan seemed to be on the outskirts, the guys seemed to be longer; I think a lot of people can identify with that.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:15 pm

if you listen to much of the newer stuff coming out it really resembles a jumble of different sounds from the 70s and 80s and if you ask the musicians their influences they seem to list many artsy, unique and/or commercial successful groups. For example the killers list duran duran as one of their influences and you can certainly hear it in their music.
I'm enjoying this resurgence. I believe it has to do with the great music the bands from the 80s were influenced by, then they would put their unique take on combining sounds... that is what i seem to see new groups doing to 80s sounding music. Its pretty cool!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Art of Parties wrote:Not wishing to shatter any illusions here, but i am of the opinion they are generally about 5'7", which i would never have guessed before i met them, they always looked quite tall on stage.

I could always tell that they were short from pictures. Ha ha, that means David's a whopping two inches taller than I.

Art of Parties wrote:The second was when again he was standing directly in front of me, he bowed after the final song before the encore - i cheekily patted him on the head, he smiled back, i guess he was relieved that i did not try to rip his hair off (my girlfriend at the time would have!!!) - by the way interesting fact no. 1000080 - he had a lot of hairsray on , either that or his hair is made of bark.

Funny story! I laughed aloud at the bark bit. :wink:
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:54 pm

I love the story about untieing the shoe---that is tooo funny!!!! Did he even know you did it? I'm thinking he was too focused to notice so later he was like, WTF? :lol:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:05 pm

hhmm my friend met him who is 5'5" and he was a good 4 or 5 inches taller than her... Another friend of mine saw him in NYC tower records last fall... she followed him around the store(no not stalking she works there) and her comments were he was tall and thin... he had his girls with him. So i asked her what she meant by tall and she said like 5'10"... which means he was probably 5'8 or 9"....
I'm finding it a bit hard to fathom he's an inch taller than me at 5'7"
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:12 am

If he really is 5'8'' I'm 2 inches taller then him O_O Weird, I always pictured him being a little over 6 foot... But I wouldn't care if he were 4 feet tall!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:17 am

Art of Parties wrote:I doubt if you were born in the wrong decade - i bet you don't regard getting out of bed without pulling a muscle etc as a major achievement -

I am so surprised how many young people seem to like Japan et al, how the fire and brimstone did you discover them - at my age it is a bit like me finding someone cool in the 60/70s.

Case in point - i was not wild about Japan even after Quiet Life, but a friend of my brother commented that i looked like the lead singer of Japan, so curiousity got the better of me, and then one night i am listening to the radio and this great DJ called Annie Nightingale played a studio version of The Art of Parties (3 years before it was finally released)
I was hooked and it has been an obsession since that day.

It was just an expression!! :lol: I mean that all young people here would have love to have the chance to see them live.
In my case I discovered them by the Vh1 :lol: Well, my parents are complete music lovers, so I've grown up listening to almost every kind of music from any decade in the 20th century and before :-D .
80's is a personal passion. Most of my favourite bands have their influences on bands from 60's , 70's and 80's ...the rest is just a deep personal research...I've always been a music maniac :lol:
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:01 am

Silver Moon wrote: But I wouldn't care if he were 4 feet tall!

Oh if only he were that tiny....I could put him my pocket .... My very own pocket pal :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:07 pm

mmm they didn't look very tall to me in pictures... I don't know what size is that exactly in cms, but I think I can imagine it aproximately.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion