Some Kind Of Fool

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Some Kind Of Fool

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:31 pm

I have been intrigued by this song since the moment I first heard it. The original Japan version in particular.

Upon listening to it again and again, I've noticed that the lyrics in the original version seem to be slightly different. And not to mention the fact that David sings the chorus in French. I've tried to translate it, but the recording is far too mumbled for me to pick up much of anything. The only phrase I can definitely hear is "mon amour" and it seems to be repeated a few times. And I sort of think I can hear a "j'oublie" or a "j'ai oublié" in the chorus, but I could be totally wrong on that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information on the original lyrics, especially the French?
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:50 pm

If it is written out I can translate, but my ear is not trained to pick it up---I could try listening to it. Now, what album is the "Japan" version on? I know I have one version, I believe on E/N?
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 pm

It's not on any album, as far as I know. I downloaded it from the Japan-Pioneers group on Yahoo, in the "files" section.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 am

I love "Some Kind of Fool" I wish the original version would be released on CD!! I love his version on "Everything and Nothing" but I would really like to hear the original. I like the one on Japan-Pioneers too, but it's hard to hear with all of the voices in the background...

... Maybe some day we shall attain it!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Bern on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:04 pm

I know Sylvian intended to let Pierre Barouh record the track so did he possibly write some french lyrics for it for that reason?, having said that Despair was all in french so it may have just been a "Sylvian" thing of the time.
The only original version is the one played at a Bamboo party which as someone has already said is downloadable I don't know much more about the track except it was to long for Polariods so was replaced by Burning Bridges when the album went to pressing I have heard their are album versions which show the track on the listing but I have never seen one so that could be an urban myth
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the info Bern.
I really enjoy that song too , both versions of the song.
I wonder if the fact that it hadn't been included in GTP means that it is actually recorded although it isn't in any album.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:17 pm

krausy wrote:If it is written out I can translate, but my ear is not trained to pick it up---I could try listening to it. Now, what album is the "Japan" version on? I know I have one version, I believe on E/N?

Ooh, so you know French? Fun. :) I'm not fluent but I'm working on it.

Thanks, Bern. I didn't know about David wanting to have someone else record it, hmm. I also thought that it could've been a Sylvian thing, the French lyrics.

I think the same thing, Poisoned. Perhaps the record companies are just holding out on the fans... they would do that sort of thing, hmph.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:10 pm

I can hear him say comme ca and obviously mon armour as you've said in the chorus but otherwise I cannot get it.

I have the rest of the words for the Japan version I think....but the chorus in French is impossible I mean for me someone who doesn't even remotely speak French

Anyway these are the verses as far as I can tell, slightly different from the Everything and Nothing version but not by much.

Maybe I’m wrong
I’ll always keep moving on
I suppose that I’ll say I do
Am I some kind of fool

You say you care
My love is going nowhere
I suppose that I’ll say I do
Am I some kind of fool

Crying again
You say these words are just sentimental things
And I’ll say I do
Am I some kind of fool.

Do they sound right to you? I may have missed a verse out I hope not but I haven't listened to it in a lil while...

:-)
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks a lot!! So, there is a recorded version actually!!

I wish it could be available :?
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pioneerz on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:13 pm

I have a vinyl copy of Polaroids with the original tracklisting on the cover and label.
pioneerz
Noob
Noob

Return to General Discussion