Sons of pioneers & Antonioni

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Sons of pioneers & Antonioni

Postby Blemished on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:44 am

Having recently watched the amazing Michelangelo Antonioni film Red Desert, I decided to check out some of his other films. This prompted me to watch the trailer for the Criterion Collection's recent blu ray release of Antonioni's 1982 film, Identification of a Woman. As it started off I was amazed to hear the opening bass-line from Sons of Pioneers - it runs all the way through the trailer!

http://www.criterion.com/films/27629-identification-of-a-woman

Checking it out, Sons of pioneers is listed as part of the soundtrack on IMDB, along with tracks by XTC, OMD and Tangerine Dream et al.

I can't say I've ever heard of a Japan track being used in a film - are there any other uses that I've missed? In any event, nice to hear that track used here - Criterion put together lovely editions of films, albeit with US region coding only.
Last edited by Blemished on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Sons of pioneers & Antonioni

Postby Serotonin on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 pm

I bought "Identification of a Woman" on ordinary DVD a couple of years ago. The Criterion version looks great... thanks for the link.

The other film featuring a Japan track - Fall In Love With Me - is "Gas Food Lodging" with Brooke Adams, Ione Skye, Faizura Balk and James Brolin. Really difficult to find (easier in the USA maybe). It was released in 1991 by 20 20 Vision and it was listed recently by a British music magazine (can't remember which one) as one of the films that should have been released on DVD, but for some reason it wasn't. I have it on video (PAL) and really love it, it's a moving (not melodramatic) story about teenage angst.

x
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Excellent finds. Here's the clip featuring "Fall in Love with Me" from 'Gas Food Lodging'
http://youtu.be/vLUhv9-tL80

Also on Netflix in the USA.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Gas Food Lodging

Postby Serotonin on Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm

For those who are interested and live in the UK, "Gas Food Lodging" will be shown on Sony Movie Channel at 8pm on Tuesday, May 8th.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 am

Blemished wrote:Having recently watched the amazing Michelangelo Antonioni film Red Desert, I decided to check out some of his other films. This prompted me to watch the trailer for the Criterion Collection's recent blu ray release of Antonioni's 1982 film, Identification of a Woman. As it started off I was amazed to hear the opening bass-line from Sons of Pioneers - it runs all the way through the trailer!

http://www.criterion.com/films/27629-identification-of-a-woman

Checking it out, Sons of pioneers is listed as part of the soundtrack on IMDB, along with tracks by XTC, OMD and Tangerine Dream et al.

I can't say I've ever heard of a Japan track being used in a film - are there any other uses that I've missed? In any event, nice to hear that track used here - Criterion put together lovely editions of films, albeit with US region coding only.

Belated thanks for this post. After reading it I bought the DVD, so I could enjoy Japan, Tangerine Dream and others in this strange, but beautiful story.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion