Was I too harsh? Did I have any right?

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Was I too harsh? Did I have any right?

Postby Tim91 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 pm

I run a Japan myspace and of coarse I have to deal with the comments people send me, to which I usually respond with a thank you and a picture, if any comment at all :oops: So I recieved a comment from a band with their video of their cover versions of Ghosts. I had high hopes, but it turned out to be a raggae, dance, popish version of the song with a music video that looked like an ipod commercial and...oh no how should I say this...it was bad :( It seemed as though they wanted my honest opinion so I gave it trying to be as nice as I could. This is what I wrote: "First I'd like to make it clear that I have no contact to the former band member's of Japan, no impute from any member, nor am I in any stretch of the imagination a professional music critic, so you shouldn't take this to heart, but I'm really sorry to say but I think while you may have had good intentions in turning Ghosts into a more catchy, dancier song, I'm afraid to say I really didn't think this musical direction went with the lyrics and entire introspective feeling of the song. BUT who am I to judge! It might not be my cup of tea but just keep on listening to Japan, keep on recording the music that you love and have fun!"
Was I too critical? Should my opinion matter? Should I make it more clear that I have no affiliations with the former memebers of Japan.
Please could YOU tell me your honest opinion of what I've done?
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Was I too harsh? Did I have any right?

Postby Tim91 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:33 pm

I just deleted my comment but resent it as a private message. I thought that would be more appropriate.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Phil Lawton on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 am

Tim91 wrote:I run a Japan myspace and of coarse I have to deal with the comments people send me, to which I usually respond with a thank you and a picture, if any comment at all :oops: So I recieved a comment from a band with their video of their cover versions of Ghosts. I had high hopes, but it turned out to be a raggae, dance, popish version of the song with a music video that looked like an ipod commercial and...oh no how should I say this...it was bad :( It seemed as though they wanted my honest opinion so I gave it trying to be as nice as I could. This is what I wrote: "First I'd like to make it clear that I have no contact to the former band member's of Japan, no impute from any member, nor am I in any stretch of the imagination a professional music critic, so you shouldn't take this to heart, but I'm really sorry to say but I think while you may have had good intentions in turning Ghosts into a more catchy, dancier song, I'm afraid to say I really didn't think this musical direction went with the lyrics and entire introspective feeling of the song. BUT who am I to judge! It might not be my cup of tea but just keep on listening to Japan, keep on recording the music that you love and have fun!"
Was I too critical? Should my opinion matter? Should I make it more clear that I have no affiliations with the former memebers of Japan.
Please could YOU tell me your honest opinion of what I've done?

As both a musician and a music reviewer, Tim, all I can say to you is that if someone puts their muic out there, they become fair game, whether they're Sylvian or anyone else, for someone to express an opinion.

Just making music isn't a guarantee of being told that you're brilliant.

Don't worry about it - you were tactful...and your description of the cover version makes it sounds like you were far more restrained than you should have been.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 am

Tim91 wrote:Please could YOU tell me your honest opinion of what I've done?

Don't see no wrong in what you did. As Phil wrote above, you were tactful.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm glad you you guys think I was successful in tip toeing around their feelings
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Tim, :smt006
I think you did a very good job. Honestly, if I had heard a reggae/pop/R&B/Dance/Mash version of "Ghosts" firstly I would have been physically sick, and then I would have been less than tactful with my comments. How could anyone destroy something so beautiful in such a crass manner? Beggars belief. Anyway, well done for keeping it polite and to the point.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 pm

hope they don't mind me quoting them but the band seems to have taken my critisism just fine and wrote "it is hard to win with covers....stay close to the original and it is pointless, too far the other way and it is sacrilege! You will be pleased to hear we only did cover songs to test out our new equipment. Our stuff from now on will be original!"
Thank God!
they had defiantly crossed over into sacrelige with their cover of Ghosts
but their originals will hopefully be amazing :D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Tim91 wrote: Our stuff from now on will be original!"
Thank God!
they had defiantly crossed over into sacrelige with their cover of Ghosts
but their originals will hopefully be amazing :D

Amen to that!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:20 pm

:lol: I think you were incredibly restrained and polite! Though the naughty side of me wants you to post the link! Just for a laugh - I cannot even begin to imagine how hilarious this version must have been! :smt077 Now that's not right is it?!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:36 pm

well I'm tempted to share the link but.... :smt005
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Just tell it as you see it. They were onto a loser covering Ghosts in my opinion and should take any criticism in the spirit it was intended.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 pm

you were spot on
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 am

It doesn't matter either way. Get over yourself.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm

billster wrote:It doesn't matter either way. Get over yourself.

Hahahaahahahahaaahahaha!
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to General Discussion