The Samadhisound Stable

Talk about anything Japan-related.

The Samadhisound Stable

Postby Slope on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Just wondering what other artists on the Samadhisound label people enjoy?

There will be a natural bias towards the work of David and Steve (I'm assuming) - but I have very much enjoyed listening to other Samadhi-based albums, like Harold Budd's Avalon Sutra, Akira Rabelais, and most particularly Thomas Feiner's "Opiates" CD - a truly stunning work, and a wonderful thing to be introduced to.

I do have more difficulty enjoying Derek Bailey, David Toop and Sweet Billy Pilgrim, but I'm prepared to invest some time listening to their work - as fans of Japan/ex-members, I'm sure we all appreciate that some of the truest beauties are not the most obvious.

Your thoughts?
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Samadhisound Stable

Postby gokartmozart on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Slope wrote:Just wondering what other artists on the Samadhisound label people enjoy?

[snip]

Interesting thread and good question.

I have liked Harold Budd for decades now. I think it was his album on Brian Eno's label - '4th World: Possible Music' I think is the name. And I really loved the piano album he did with the Cocteau Twins too. Both recommended CDs.

Heard quite alot of Derek Bailey back in the Eighties (when I was working in a record store and spending over half of my disposable income on vinyl) and liked the last CD. And got the latest two Sweet Billy Pilgrim CDs. Like both these guys but not really a big fan. Would love to see SBP live though, if they ever play Houston or Austin.
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 am

Agree with you Slope, really enjoy listening to Avalon Sutra and the Thomas Feiner CD is an exceptional piece of work, I have to say however Derek Bailey (RIP) is like fingernails down a blackboard to me
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Other artists I enjoy from the Samadhisound Stable?
Nine Horses! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously: Avalon Sutra and Perhaps by Harold Budd are very good, and so are the Sweet Billy Pilgrim and Thomas Feiner cds. I'm not keen on the Akira Rabelais, David Toop and Derek Bailey cds, but I haven't heard much from them (only 2 tracks from Rabelais' album, not particularly exciting; close to nothing from Sound Body, and I reacted badly to what I did hear; zero from To Play, apart from what's on Blemish, but I don't think I'd appreciate it much without David's voice).
If I had to choose only one, it would be The Opiates.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 pm

gokartmozart wrote:
I have liked Harold Budd for decades now. I think it was his album on Brian Eno's label - '4th World: Possible Music' I think is the name. And I really loved the piano album he did with the Cocteau Twins too. Both recommended CDs.

The Eno/Budd album you are thinking of is "Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirrors" They also did "The Pearl" together. Fourth World: Possible Musics was with Jon Hassell (Highly Recommended)

"The Moon & The Melodies" was the one he did with the Cocteau Twins Members. Budd has done two further albums with Robin Guthrie - After The Night Falls & Before The Day Breaks.

Of the Samadhisound Stable, Sylvian & Jansen aside, I haven't been a completist (yet) but have very much enjoyed the Akira Rabelais, The Sweet Billy Pilgrim & of course the Harold Budd. I quite like the Thomas Feiner, but probably don't rate it quite ashighly as a lot of folks over here. Probably need to give it more listens.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 pm

The Bailey disc is the hardest to like, but it's still worthwhile and (to my ears) even beautiful. David's and Steven's work for the label don't need to be discussed here?
I feel no big difference in liking in myself between Toop's or Budd's of Rabelais's discs; or David's Naoshima for that matter. SS is one of the best labels in the world as it seems to effortlessly combine 'difficult' and more mainstream work in a way that really seems to click with me - and I think Manafon will be a case in point.
The only release including the downloads that I don't have is the live download of Steve, since I already have the dvd that it's lifted from.
So I like all releases so far in my own way and for their own worthwhileness..., and I trust SS enough that I buy all their releases blind.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:48 am

Am surprised to have only just started investigating Samadhisound properly... better late than never I suppose it has one of the most beautiful websites :-)

I like Harold Budd. Again, knew him from Eno collaborations. Lovely music but a bit samey.

Signed up and bought Thomas Feiner's album last night. Surprised how much I like it. It's weird though, no matter how many times I listen to it, on every track, I almost hate his voice to begin with - it feels like rough bark - and is quite a shock as it's not what I expect to hear. But then within about 10 seconds it sort of sinks in and is like a wound healing up very quickly it is pleasurable and different and suits the songs. Then by the end it feels very complete. 'For Now' and 'All That Numbs You' are favourites at moment although there are some songs I don't like as much. I don't think I could listen to them with a different voice singing (Sylvians being the obvious exception...but it would be kind of weird if he covered them). All very interesting, best discovery for a while.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:"The Moon & The Melodies" was the one he did with the Cocteau Twins Members. Budd has done two further albums with Robin Guthrie - After The Night Falls & Before The Day Breaks.

Actually, they've recorded three further albums. You forgot to mention 'Mysterious Skin OST'. :D
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 am

Thomas Feiner's album is my favourite other artist on the label for sure, love all the tracks on the opiates,except maybe "Toy" which is ok i guess, also love Slope by Stevie boy
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Love the Thomas Feiner album. Wonder if he will make another?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:42 am

I read somewhere that he has been working on a new album, and as Sylvian has stated that 2010 was going to herald numerous releases from the samadhi label , i am hoping thet this is is one of them.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Stable is a good way to put it... :)

Steve Jansen & Nine Horses are the only artists of value at this time I'm afraid.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:45 pm

ScottR wrote:Stable is a good way to put it... :)

Steve Jansen & Nine Horses are the only artists of value at this time I'm afraid.

Neigh, young ScottR! Let us not put the cart before the horse. You can bring a horse to water but cannot make it think. I don't want to nag nag nag at how you spend your Gee Gees, but whiny not. Trotting down to my record store clippy clop is one of the few things I enjoy. I am excited at the prospect of a cd by Jan Bang. He is a real talent. No dark horse either.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:47 am

missouriman wrote:Neigh, young ScottR! Let us not put the cart before the horse. You can bring a horse to water but cannot make it think. I don't want to nag nag nag at how you spend your Gee Gees, but whiny not. Trotting down to my record store clippy clop is one of the few things I enjoy. I am excited at the prospect of a cd by Jan Bang. He is a real talent. No dark horse either.

:lol: That knocked me right off my hooves!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:00 pm

digimarsh wrote:I read somewhere that he has been working on a new album, and as Sylvian has stated that 2010 was going to herald numerous releases from the samadhi label , i am hoping thet this is is one of them.

i agree that Thomas Feiners album was superb. I don't think he will have a 2010 release with Samadhisound. I asked him the same question via his myspace site and he has new material but not necessarily for an album (if that makes sense)
He also said that the last album with Samadhisound was not as successful as they had hoped. A crying shame for such a great piece of work.

I personally love Rabelais and Feiner and Budds work plus Steves work

A small label like Samadhi needs our support if you like what they release (which I do)
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to General Discussion