rain tree crow

Talk about anything Japan-related.

rain tree crow

Postby neonico on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 am

Although I do remember reading that Steve Jansen was rather upset about his brother locking himself and other former members of his band out of the studio for the mixing sessions of the Rain Tree Crow album. It may be one of those apocryphal stories, but I do seem to remember reading about it in Modern Music Magazine around the time of the release of that album. Still, much rain has fallen on the tree since then.

http://www.jasoncowley.net/interviews/I20050410_O.html

Hmm. Interesting link. Thank you. Seems fairly accurate to me. Don't want to reveal too much but then again, this is a forum and not an official voice for either, but the David/Steven row seemed to culminate with David being the aggressor. If my memory serves me, everything came to a head in Italy. The two were, I suppose, 'just being brothers', but things began to become rather heated and at some point things turned unimaginably ugly when David angrily picked up a silver serving tray, throwing it at Steven. Steven, who whilst trying to block it, naturally put up his hand. The result was a very bad slice in Steven's hand which made it impossible for him to play for some time. This will have been the incident which caused the long break in their relationship. I feel a bit strange revealing this here but then again, most all of us use aliases here and so there is little chance that that particular serving tray will be headed my way!
neonico

Re: rain tree crow

Postby Bern on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 am

Never heard that story before although I can imagine Sylvian throwing a silver tray rather than "lamping" his brother with it, the cut hand though is reminiscent of the Shamen tour in 1988 where Jansen's cut hand led to the cancellation of a number of dates apparently due to an accident while eating cheese fondue..honest!
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 am

Sylvian/Jansen cage fight anyone?
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 am

also sylvian hurt his hand in 2003 a skateboarding accident. ha ha ,funny it was around the same time as the seperation. between ingrid and himself:-D
neonico

Postby Bern on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Yes he was trying to "lamp" his brother with a skateboard
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:45 pm

By "lamping" do you mean to shed light upon or to illuminate or rather to knock someone's friggin' teeth out using direct physical means?

I have a problem with the image of DS upon a skateboard clad in padded protection. Was he trying to descend Temple Mountain doing ollies?
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:51 pm

missouriman wrote:I have a problem with the image of DS upon a skateboard clad in padded protection. Was he trying to descend Temple Mountain doing ollies?

I think he got into skateboarding when the family lived in California, remember reading a brief mention of it in an interview. Of course it's often difficult to tell with David if he's being serious or not.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 am

heartofdavid wrote:
missouriman wrote:I have a problem with the image of DS upon a skateboard clad in padded protection. Was he trying to descend Temple Mountain doing ollies?

I think he got into skateboarding when the family lived in California, remember reading a brief mention of it in an interview. Of course it's often difficult to tell with David if he's being serious or not.

Why do I find it so hard to conjure up a mental image of David Sylvian on a skateboard :?: :?
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:30 am

I can visualise Sylvian on a skateboard dressed in black with a high powered rifle ready to "illuminate" his brother all over the pavement
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 am

Bern wrote:I can visualise Sylvian on a skateboard dressed in black with a high powered rifle ready to "illuminate" his brother all over the pavement

"illuminate" him - does this visualised rifle have a torch on the end? Personally, I see him being more suited to a unicycle but perhaps that's just me (I just got off a trans-atlantic flight and haven't slept for over 30 hours :shock: )
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 am

Sylvian on a unicycle! well that's the winner of Britains got Talent next year then
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Bern wrote:Sylvian on a unicycle! well that's the winner of Britains got Talent next year then

OK, I can see that but I think I'd better provisionally book him a room at the Priory now - you know, just in case ;-)
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to General Discussion