Oil On Canvas ( Credits )

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby VaporTrail on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 am

lisa wrote:no idea - just a photographer's model

dang.....here I thought you knew everything.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby John Trevethan on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 pm

From her intimate knowledge and confidence I suspect that Lisa is Yuka!
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Moonshadow on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:05 pm

John Trevethan wrote:From her intimate knowledge and confidence I suspect that Lisa is Yuka!

That would be awsome
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby lisa on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:25 pm

haha, very funny you guys! ... so then i could even be david, mick, steve, richard, rob, masami... david rhodes, simon n.b. ... or any number of associates, tour personnel or company staff. but actually i'm just me which isn't so bad! aren't we all no more than six degrees from anyone else? often less. so one hears and one learns over the years which, lets face it, are more than we'd care to admit.
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby becky on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Is it Yuka's voice at the beginning of Nostalgia on Brilliant Trees?
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby lisa on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm

from a 'persian' recording i think - perhaps influenced by Czukay's 'movies' track 'persian love'?
lisa
Regular
Regular

Re: Oil On Canvas ( Credits )

Postby Q Quarters on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 am

It was definitely Yuka on Still Life In Mobile Homes, wasn't it?
Q Quarters
Regular
Regular

Postby Bern on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm not sure if that is her, but she does appear in the Visions of China video
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: voices raised

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 pm

lisa wrote:no,no,no... there are no real vocals on this track, they were all lifted from real ethnic recordings. it's a co-write between jansen and sylvian. yuka has NEVER contributed vocals to any japan recording except for spoken word. she said the line 'my tin drum' at the end of the track 'talking drum' from the album 'tin drum'. let's keep it real here.

One of the vocalists is Sandii, though not credited on the record; the male vocalist may be David or maybe Makoto Kubota. Compare it to some of her vocals on "Dhyana Pura" from "Heat Scale" and "Oinori" from "Eating Pleasure". The track has been included in a discography of her session work. To be fair, I did think for over 20 years that it was probably an archive recording.

About Yuka, I believe it's her voice on both Talking Drum and Still Life In Mobile Homes; but not on Nostalgia, as the voice comes from one of Holger Czuckay's tapes. If you see "The Secrets of Japan" you can see him manually "playing" the tape (which looks like a really strange format BTW) to make the sound wow and flutter. No way would he be able to make it sound the same twice. I think the doc shows him recording "Weathered Wall" but the same effect must have been applied on Nostalgia.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: voices raised

Postby missouriman on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:28 pm

karnsculpture wrote:
lisa wrote:no,no,no... there are no real vocals on this track, they were all lifted from real ethnic recordings. it's a co-write between jansen and sylvian. yuka has NEVER contributed vocals to any japan recording except for spoken word. she said the line 'my tin drum' at the end of the track 'talking drum' from the album 'tin drum'. let's keep it real here.

One of the vocalists is Sandii, though not credited on the record; the male vocalist may be David or maybe Makoto Kubota. Compare it to some of her vocals on "Dhyana Pura" from "Heat Scale" and "Oinori" from "Eating Pleasure". The track has been included in a discography of her session work. To be fair, I did think for over 20 years that it was probably an archive recording.

About Yuka, I believe it's her voice on both Talking Drum and Still Life In Mobile Homes; but not on Nostalgia, as the voice comes from one of Holger Czuckay's tapes. If you see "The Secrets of Japan" you can see him manually "playing" the tape (which looks like a really strange format BTW) to make the sound wow and flutter. No way would he be able to make it sound the same twice. I think the doc shows him recording "Weathered Wall" but the same effect must have been applied on Nostalgia.

I used to have a cassette by the woman whose voice is heard on "Nostalgia". She is Persian I believe. This stuff is lost in my memory bank. If I remember I will post it.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 am

The vocals sampled at the start of "Nostalgia" are by Shusha Guppy. The track is called "The Silver Gun". She died recently in London. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG37CpSq5k
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:21 pm

well done Missouriman and it is quite a haunting track which I was sure I had heard before as I think Robert Palmer covered it
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 am

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you !!
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sakurafleur on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

chet: i always thought it was gaby agis on the cover of pop song.

i also assumed (or maybe i read... it's so long ago now) that it was gaby in the silver moon video.
Last edited by sakurafleur on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby sakurafleur on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am

according to the book the last romantic: "a talented photographer and something of a singer, fujii actually contributed backing vocals to tim drum, her winsome voice used to great effect on the track 'still ife in mobile homes'.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion