Random Japan Facts!

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Despair on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Ive never read Bowie EVER make a comment on Sylvian, and im pretty well up on my Bowie.

But what has made me laff, was thinkin about Sylvian`s dad.
He`s called Bernard, tho prefers Bernie.

Bernie Batt just makes me laff.
If Sylvian had taken his fathers name and kept it, his solo back catalogue would look so different.

Bernie Batt - Gone To Earth

Bernie Batt - A Brief Conversation Ending In Divorce

Batt - Czukay Plight n Premonition :-)

Sorry, but it tickiles me :-)
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Random Japan Facts!

Postby skyistoohigh on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:05 am

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Not sure if it counts as a random Japan fact, more like a random Japan spotting but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I just watched an episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks (season 6, episode 5) in which one of the teams was doing the intro to Quiet Life. You can see that bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJ4iu5RXxc

It starts around 1:12, and around 4:38 the host makes a joke about Japan. They did a horrible job with the intro, didn't they? Messed it up completely, I love that song and I had no idea they were doing an impression of it. Ignore the mean jokes, for those who aren't familiar with this show - they always joke about bands (whether they like their music or not), it's not meant to be taken seriously. I had a great laugh at it. =D
skyistoohigh
Noob
Noob

Postby Rain on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 am

Wow, Suggs (attempting, and failing) singing Quiet Life, I never thought I'd see that. Knowing it was coming, I could just about hear it, but that was really rubbish ;D They had better guests back whenever that was though.

I always wonder if something to do with Japan will come up when I'm watching that show, thank goodness they're probably the least likely people to go on that line up thing where they try to guess who used to be in a band.
Rain
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am

OMG! I would just die if any ex-member of the band went on that show in ANY capacity. Definitely if they were included in the "who-did-you-used-to-be-when-you-had-your-own-teeth" segment of the show. Yikes! Most of the former so-called "celebs" of yesteryear who do go through that humiliation are almost always totally unrecognisable and look so ancient, so our guys wouldn't qualify to go on there anyway since they are all still way too good looking.
I am of course TOTALLY BIASED!!! :smt041

PS: Can anyone help me out with this photo? Is the lady in question Hazel O'Connor or Angie Bowie?
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Astronaut wrote:Can anyone help me out with this photo? Is the lady in question Hazel O'Connor or Angie Bowie?

answer.jpg
answer.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 16362 times
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:46 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
Astronaut wrote:Can anyone help me out with this photo? Is the lady in question Hazel O'Connor or Angie Bowie?

answer.jpg

Mick writes a lot about Angie in his book.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 am

Thank you Inky! :smt023 Thought it was the Ex Mrs B, but after seeing the recent posting in the MK Gallery I got a little confused! And yes I know that MK writes A LOT about Mrs B in his auto-biog. Naughty naughty boy! :smt055
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re:

Postby Fabi R on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am

Also another fact: Steve Jansen said in "Japan Photo Story" That David Sylvian used to cut his hair!

What, David used to cut Steve's hair or his own hair?

---------

I read David used to cut his own hair and Steve´s as well. :-D

Question 41 - gallery/image_page.php?album_id=7&image_id=2719
Question 34 - gallery/image_page.php?album_id=7&image_id=2706
Best wishes!
Fabi
:smt006
Fabi R
Noob
Noob

Re: Re:

Postby Astronaut on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 am

Fabi R wrote:
Also another fact: Steve Jansen said in "Japan Photo Story" That David Sylvian used to cut his hair!

What, David used to cut Steve's hair or his own hair?

---------

I read David used to cut his own hair and Steve´s as well. :-D

Question 41 - gallery/image_page.php?album_id=7&image_id=2719
Question 34 - gallery/image_page.php?album_id=7&image_id=2706

Hi Fabi R :smt006
I agree - David used to cut his own hair and his brothers too. Interesting that David only washed his hair 3 times a week and Steve only twice a week! Blimey with the accumulation of all that hairspray and smoking Gitanes and Marlboro's it's a wonder they didn't blow themselves up! :smt119
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Q Quarters on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am

:-D , you guys are very funny!! Can't imagine Dave eating a BIG MAC, neither do I think he does a lot of skateboarding, but we don't know really, do we? :D
Q Quarters
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 am

Q Quarters is a song by the associates aint it
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Q Quarters on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

Yes digimarsh, one of my favourites of them. You can find it on "Fourth Drawer Down". Really sad Billy M is no longer with us..
Q Quarters
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:28 pm

Q Quarters wrote:Yes digimarsh, one of my favourites of them. You can find it on "Fourth Drawer Down". Really sad Billy M is no longer with us..

yes it is very much so,

they were one of my favourite bands too,i had that album plus sulk and also the affectionate punch album,i am gonna resource them out as part of my on going revamp of my music collection,i love the song Logan Time by the way off AP
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Q Quarters on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

digimarsh wrote:
Q Quarters wrote:Yes digimarsh, one of my favourites of them. You can find it on "Fourth Drawer Down". Really sad Billy M is no longer with us..

yes it is very much so,

they were one of my favourite bands too,i had that album plus sulk and also the affectionate punch album,i am gonna resource them out as part of my on going revamp of my music collection,i love the song Logan Time by the way off AP

great song, Logan Time. My favourite of AP is Transport To Central, shivers down my spine.. Do you also like Billy's solo stuff? I must say, maybe not as strong as the first three Associates albums, but there are some pearls here and there.. Check out Billy's version of Wild Is The Wind, almost better than Bowie's version.
Q Quarters
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Billy was a genius,not unlike Mr sylvian, he was able to present wonderfull soundscapes and was a true visionary, matter of gender comes to mind as well as a real classic, i did not catch up on his solo stuff,but i shall be exploring amazon later to plug some holes and re visit some old 'classics'
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion