Random Japan Facts!

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Random Japan Facts!

Postby Silver Moon on Mon May 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Just an idea- Post any random facts about Japan or David Sylvian you know to be true! I'll start with some facts:

- For the cover of "Quiet life" The whole band was supposed to pose on it. Virgin gave David Sylvian 1,000 dollers to go buy clothes for the band just so they could, but instead he spent all 1,000 dollers on his Red Jacket! That is why he is the only one on the cover, wearing the jacket.

- Mick Karn used to play Basoon when he was in School. Though, on his way back from an audition, some skinheads asked him what was in the case. When he answered, they showed him a broken bottle, and he handed it over. He then got a bass instead and started from there.

-The reason Mick Karn had no eyebrows for most of his time in Japan was actually and accident. It was because he had a unibrow, and he tried to get rid of it with some kind of nair or something... I don't know. But anyway, he ended up putting too much on, and when he rubbed it off- Most of his eyebrows were gone! So he just decided to get rid of them all together.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby dj_explain on Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 pm

not a fact as such just my personel hunch but i think the name Japan
was from the Be Bop Deluxe single 'Japan'
of course Bill Nelson went on to feature on some sylvian stuff
but the date is a bout right and david has said how much they all liked
Be Bop.
might be talking rubbish let me know what you think
dj_explain
Noob
Noob

Postby Silver Moon on Thu May 11, 2006 5:06 pm

-David Sylvian's favorite foods (As of 1979) used to be Special K and Hamburgers.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby kinki on Wed May 17, 2006 12:07 pm

Silver Moon wrote:-David Sylvian's favorite foods (As of 1979) used to be Special K and Hamburgers.

I read somewhere that he's a teetotal veggie now though....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Random Japan Facts!

Postby kinki on Wed May 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Silver Moon wrote:-The reason Mick Karn had no eyebrows for most of his time in Japan was actually and accident. It was because he had a unibrow, and he tried to get rid of it with some kind of nair or something... I don't know. But anyway, he ended up putting too much on, and when he rubbed it off- Most of his eyebrows were gone! So he just decided to get rid of them all together.

You know, I've ALWAYS wanted to know why he had no eyebrows... :shock:

I just assumed it was just another one of his 'looks' hehehe..... :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sylvian girl on Sat May 20, 2006 11:24 am

Silver Moon wrote:-David Sylvian's favorite foods (As of 1979) used to be Special K

:o :o :o :-D :-D :-D :-D yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Special K is the best food ever 8)

and until now, i never even noticed that Mick was missing eyebrows in any of the photos of him in the japan years :lol: and somehow it still doesnt look strange where-as it would anyone else!
sylvian girl
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Sat May 20, 2006 11:28 pm

sylvian girl wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:-David Sylvian's favorite foods (As of 1979) used to be Special K

:o :o :o :-D :-D :-D :-D yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Special K is the best food ever 8)

and until now, i never even noticed that Mick was missing eyebrows in any of the photos of him in the japan years :lol: and somehow it still doesnt look strange where-as it would anyone else!

Last person I saw with shaved eyebrows was Alannah Currie of the Thompson Twins--at least she used to. She actually looked okay without them---she is a bit strange looking now though.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Some Kind Of Fool on Sun May 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Wouldn't it have been Ariola Hansa that stumped up the cash for the outfits for Quiet Life's cover, as opposed to Virgin?
Some Kind Of Fool
Noob
Noob

Postby krausy on Sun May 21, 2006 7:08 pm

Some Kind Of Fool wrote:Wouldn't it have been Ariola Hansa that stumped up the cash for the outfits for Quiet Life's cover, as opposed to Virgin?

Good question---I am not sure when they made the transition. May have to check a book on that one.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I'll tell you what's bugged me all these years...what's the story behind David and Steve choosing 'Sylvian' and 'Jansen' as second names...

I bet no-one knows that do they? *she says hopefully* :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 24, 2006 8:25 pm

I think David Sylvian said he chose his name after Sylvain Sylvain from the new York dolls. Just the A and the I switched around. Mick Karn, people claim, got the name "Mick" as a nickname from school, and Karn from a science fiction show. (Forget the name at the moment!) Hmm... Steve Jansen, I'm not sure- but just taking a guess maybe Jansen is from David Johansen from the New York Dolls... Just take out the O and the H! Just a guess...

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Wed May 24, 2006 11:31 pm

Silver Moon wrote:I think David Sylvian said he chose his name after Sylvain Sylvain from the new York dolls. Just the A and the I switched around. Mick Karn, people claim, got the name "Mick" as a nickname from school, and Karn from a science fiction show. (Forget the name at the moment!) Hmm... Steve Jansen, I'm not sure- but just taking a guess maybe Jansen is from David Johansen from the New York Dolls... Just take out the O and the H! Just a guess...

-Kera-

That is a fantastic guess, and you are probably correct on that one.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 4:46 am

Yep, I'd read about the Sylvain Sylvain connection but didnt know if it was true, but I didnt figure the Johansen connection - but it seems logical..

I'd also read that Mick originally chose 'Kar' as his adoptive surname, but thought adding an 'n' sounded better... :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat May 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I'm sure you all know this- But David Sylvian's middle name is "Alan" Also, according to an article I read a little while ago, he broke his wrist in a "Skateboarding Accident" (I don't know if it was a joke or not) But it would be cool to picture him skateboarding! Not cool breaking his wrist though :-(

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat May 27, 2006 11:57 pm

when was he supposed to have broken his wrist? lately or years ago?

Hmm... I don't think I know any facts for certain... I just really love listening to him and looking at photos of him or by him....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion