Converting your family...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Converting your family...

Postby anortherncod on Sat May 03, 2008 4:21 pm

I thought of this a little earlier on.

Picture the scene; me (an only child) in the throes of teenage rebellion. I used to listen to Japan on the turntable in our living room. Every time I played All Tomorrow's Parties, my mum used to come in doing a crazy dance saying "This one really sends me!" :lol:

Recently, when I went to see DS at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall, my dad said "Oh, I would have liked to have seen that". I could have throttled him... we could have gone to RFH together.

And my mum even asked me about the Waking The Dead trailers the other day - "is that David Sylvian? Funny how you still like him..."

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon May 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Hey Natasha your parents sound cool! Mine wouldn't know who DS was even if he came up and slapped 'em round the face with a wet kipper! :lol: Seriously, when I was a teenager, I used to play my Japan albums on the stereo I had in my bedroom, but I didn't have any headphones, as my father in his wisdom decided I wasn't allowed to have any so that he could hear what I was playing - not because he liked any of it - but to monitor the content! He was STRICT!!! "You want to go to the Hammersmith Odeon? What for? I don't care if it is their final concert you're not going and thats that .. blah, blah, blah!" I think he was a bit worried as I had Duran and Japan pix on my wall - OBV - DS & Co wearing a load of make up (highly questionable behaviour as far as my Dad was concerned) and I also had posters of Soft Cell in their bondage phase (say no more - you can imagine the comments that provoked ...) Funny old life!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 pm

My mother is also strict, but I think somehow she gathered that records were making me happy. Here's a nice anecdote on that subject; I discovered that signed copies of Brilliant Trees were to be on sale at HMV Oxford Street. I had to retake a biology exam on the release day and wasn't allowed to go and get one... but instead, my dad went for me and bought a copy, which is now in a frame on the bedroom wall :D

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon May 05, 2008 5:04 pm

My dad says that David's voice bores him a lot... but still he and mom were very patient waiting for him outside the RFH with me :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon May 05, 2008 5:06 pm

That is so lovely! What a great story! :-D I have to say, in defence of my poor old Dad, that whenever he made a trip into London, he always brought me back something, a 12" single or a poster or badges, once he bought me a Rio scarf which I still have somewhere ... Good old Dad! ;-)
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Mon May 05, 2008 5:06 pm

My father's reaction to Japan was...'what the hell are you listening to!?"
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon May 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Sylvian's Beard wrote:My father's reaction to Japan was...'what the Jersey are you listening to!?"

I'd say that was a fairly typical parental reaction at the time! Probably still is ...? :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Tue May 06, 2008 1:57 am

Heres a balance for you.

My wife hates David Sylvians music (i dont play it when she is around but there again she doesnt play that dance rubbish ), i have dragged her along to all the tours from 88 to 2001 !

But my 11 year old son just loves his music, i dragged him along to Blemish Tour in 2003 ~ it was his first gig. My 6 year old Daughter loves "Ride"

So the secret is forget the Parents, its the kids you have to brainwash at an early age !!!!!

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby iledef on Fri May 09, 2008 7:45 am

Stoobie, you are SO right!
My daughter (10 years old) sings with me (of course in her own language...) every Japan/David's song I listen while we are in the car together. Her favourites are Quite Life and Taking island in Africa!!!! And my little boy (3 years) when he sees all the pictures of David in his sister's room, always says to me: look mummy, there's "daddy syvvia"!
iledef
Noob
Noob

Postby Astronaut on Sat May 10, 2008 5:54 am

iledef wrote:Stoobie, you are SO right!
My daughter (10 years old) sings with me (of course in her own language...) every Japan/David's song I listen while we are in the car together. Her favourites are Quite Life and Taking island in Africa!!!! And my little boy (3 years) when he sees all the pictures of David in his sister's room, always says to me: look mummy, there's "daddy syvvia"!

That is sooooo cute! "Daddy Sylvian" LOL!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sat May 10, 2008 8:49 am

Makes me think of my mom. I left home in 86, so she only "got" to hear stuff from that period of Sylvian. I think she found him a bit morose for her taste, although I do remember her really liking the first side of Brilliant Trees. Japan, she did not get. The music that I remember exposing her to that she really enjoyed was Bob Marley, Peter Gabriel's So, Duran Duran, and U2's Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree albums. Not too bad for old mum. She adored Freddie Mercury!
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion