Sylvian On Television ??

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Sylvian On Television ??

Postby Despair on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 pm

What reason do you think stops Sylvian appearing on things like `Later With Jools` or `The Culture Show` or indeed any past tv shows that catered for the older music fan ??
he`d be the perfect guest for such shows

I appreciate he doesnt always have a `band` to hand, but hes more than capable of a solo performance.
I thought BLEMISH was a perfect opportunity for JOOLS.
Looking thru old posts on here, television played a big part in getting Sylvian/Japan noticed.
Surely OPIUM should push to get him on these shows. Or rather, Sylvian should push himself, and more importantly the work, onto a larger audience.

I bet when JAPAN reform, they`ll be on all these shows. ;-)
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:49 pm

agree ! must admit i thought he would appear on the "South Bank Show" at some point ~ still time yet, its only recently Scott Walker appeared

So.....you just never know !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Do any of our Italian members recall see DS on Italian TV?

I'm SURE I have... it would be around 1994... but sometimes I think I must have imagined it.

Anyone...?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Id love to see David on Later performing. However with Davids musical knowledge and humour id actually like to see him present a music show in the same vain as Later or OGWT.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian On Television ??

Postby Melaszka on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Despair wrote:What reason do you think stops Sylvian appearing on things like `Later With Jools` or `The Culture Show` or indeed any past tv shows that catered for the older music fan ??
he`d be the perfect guest for such shows

I appreciate he doesnt always have a `band` to hand, but hes more than capable of a solo performance.
I thought BLEMISH was a perfect opportunity for JOOLS.
Looking thru old posts on here, television played a big part in getting Sylvian/Japan noticed.
Surely OPIUM should push to get him on these shows. Or rather, Sylvian should push himself, and more importantly the work, onto a larger audience.

I bet when JAPAN reform, they`ll be on all these shows. ;-)

Well, he did do a Radio 3 interview a couple of years back, but that's the first appearance in the British broadcats media I can recall him doing for years.

But I don't think he wants "a larger audience", and I think in Richard Chadwick he is fortunate enough to have found a manager sensitive enough to understand this. He always wanted to be the musical equivalent of a left-bank poet, not a major star, and I get the impression that he felt deeply uncomfortable with all the media plugging he had to do with Japan.

Having said that, I'd like to see him on the kind of quality arts programmes you guys suggest. But I can understand him not doing Later... He's not really an improviser or a team player and often dislikes live performance.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 am

Do any of our Italian members recall see DS on Italian TV?

Do you mean from 1988 ?? The D.O.C. Broadcast during the `Shamans` show ??

Yes that was a great bit of tv.

We all know he has a voice that can grab peoples attention on first listening. For an audience unaware of Sylvian, or even those who remember him from JAPAN days, a reminder would be a great thing.
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:49 pm

Despair wrote:Do any of our Italian members recall see DS on Italian TV?

We all know he has a voice that can grab peoples attention on first listening. For an audience unaware of Sylvian, or even those who remember him from JAPAN days, a reminder would be a great thing.

What's DOC...? Denominazione d'origine controllata?

(The slurpers of Italian wine among us will find those initials on our wine bottles to denote that the wine is extra good... also used in colloquial Italian to denote that a person or thing is extra good... last summer when I was there for a month I was a frequent customer at a supermarket by the name of Markets DOC... anyway, that's enough showing off.)

What I remember is him being interviewed on Italian TV, is this the same broadcast?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I have a couple of Italian interviews. One from about the same time as Shamans, but not the DOC show.
He performed Taking The Veil,Words With The Shamen,Orpheus and Weathered Wall.
I have two Italian interviews, one from 1988 and one from 1991. Dunno which you saw obviously.
Im drinking a bottle of red now, alas not from Italy, but Aldi...classy eh !? :wink:
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

on TV

Postby billster on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:50 am

Yeh, I've long wondered if he turns down oppertinities or rather is turned down himself.

Can he be more reticent than Scott Walker?

I have tons of Sylvian Video (somewhere) and I noticed that as he stopped appearing on UK TV, he began to appear much more often on Italian, nd a bit, French TV.

So I don't think he has anything against TV per se.

I literally have hours and hours of him on Italian TV from '88 up till 'Dead bees'.

When was the last time he was on UK TV?

Wasit 'The Beat' in 92'?

Mark E Smith has it in his 'Later' contract that he doesn't have to join in on the communal 'Jam'...I'm not sure Sylvian would be this aloof though...?

its odd that 'Q' magazine have never done a major interview with him eithr..maybe some people just don't dig him...
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:17 am

It seems to me that Italy has had something of a love affair with DS and the feeling is reciprocated! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there more shows on the WIE tour in Italy than in any other continental European country (if memory serves, Milan, Rome and Reggio Emilia)?

Btw despair... nothing wrong with Aldi wine...!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 am

one more reason to wish i were italian :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:54 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:one more reason to wish i were italian :-)

Isn't there an Italian Cultural Institute in New York?

You could learn the language and then move to Italy for a never-ending supply of tiramisu, proper coffee and DOC wine! :D

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby iledef on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 am

anortherncod wrote:
Despair wrote:Do any of our Italian members recall see DS on Italian TV?

What's DOC...? Denominazione d'origine controllata?

(The slurpers of Italian wine among us will find those initials on our wine bottles to denote that the wine is extra good... also used in colloquial Italian to denote that a person or thing is extra good... last summer when I was there for a month I was a frequent customer at a supermarket by the name of Markets DOC... anyway, that's enough showing off.)

What I remember is him being interviewed on Italian TV, is this the same broadcast?

Natasha

yes, DOC's meaning is Denominazione d'origine controllata and is used to identify extra quality and well controlled items.
I have some Sylvian's interviews on VHS, made, I think, during the Shaman tour and yes, he made 5 gigs in Italy during the last tour (Milano, Torino, Reggio, Conegliano and Roma). So I think that he loves our country very very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one day he will decide to live permanently in Italy (well in Tuscany for example, such as some other famous English people...and where my father lives) and I will be the luckiest person on Earth! AH, AH!
iledef
Noob
Noob

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 am

iledef wrote:
yes, DOC's meaning is Denominazione d'origine controllata and is used to identify extra quality and well controlled items.
I have some Sylvian's interviews on VHS, made, I think, during the Shaman tour and yes, he made 5 gigs in Italy during the last tour (Milano, Torino, Reggio, Conegliano and Roma). So I think that he loves our country very very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one day he will decide to live permanently in Italy (well in Tuscany for example, such as some other famous English people...and where my father lives) and I will be the luckiest person on Earth! AH, AH!

Ciao iledef and welcome!

Well, if DS loves Italy very much - and I think he does - this is a case of 'great minds think alike' for me!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:20 pm

Guess what I just saw?

It wasn't very long, but there was a clip of the Quiet Life video included on an advert for a new Eighties compilation, Edge of the Eighties, on ITV1 just before nine.

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion