JAPAN WILL Reform Again.....

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Blemished on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Never go back is a good motto for many things and I think it's the same here. I don't want to hear them revisit their youth!

It would be interesting to hear what the might compose now as a group but I just can't see how the strands would re-unite successfully. For example, Mick's bass is a problem - he is a genius, but it's a hard sound to blend in, as RTC showed. RTC was the time for a reunion, not now.

I'm far more excited by the hope of one more truly great Sylvian album than a rather sad nostalgia show.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby baht habit on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:30 pm

I tend to think that Karn's bass playing sounds pretty decent on Rain Tree Crow. I greatly admire his restraint on that particular recording. He worked well within the framework of the improvisations the group were creating, and refrained from overstepping any boundaries of taste. It was a fitting coda to his work with Sylvian. And so may they never work together again.
Much like you, I also like how true artists always move forward and never look back. The respect I once had for pop star Sting is now completely gone for his regressive decision to reunite his former band. I would really be devasted to witness a similarly regressive move by Mr Sylvian. Thankfully, Sylvian is an artist...not a pop star.

>>>I'm far more excited by the hope of one more truly great Sylvian album than a rather sad nostalgia show.<<<

There is really no reason to believe that we are only due for 'one'.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:46 am

anortherncod wrote:
Melaszka wrote: However, I don't think DS really has the temperament to work as part of a band for sustained periods - he's too much of a loner and a control freak (and I do not mean that as an insult).

I think you're spot on there Mel...

Obviously I don't know any of the members of Japan personally, but I think it's interesting that, for example, DS has spent the last 20-odd years working in an atmosphere of artistic control, and RB has spent the last 15 years (ish) as another quarter of a band again. Diff'rent strokes, eh?

Natasha

That's a good point there...I think it shows us a lot about their character...
I don't think Sylvian can ever be a part of any band. Not after getting use to his freedom within his work...
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Considering the way Sylvian works, I could only imagine a limited collaboration, a song or two, if they were ever to work as unit again. And even given that, considering the way Sylvian and Jansen work now, they would probably not even all be in the same hemisphere whilst "collaborating". And they would NOT call anything they do a "Japan" project. I hadn't considered this, but given the technology today, perhaps a project with the original members of Japan is more likely than ever? I think the Nine Horses project should continue, with an ever expanding line-up of artists, so maybe something there?

On the other hand, there are some artists who do have the ability to successfully revisit their pasts. I think David Bowie, despite some missteps here and there, can be strikingly brilliant when he covers his old stuff, and he is really able to bring it alive convincingly. I know he has had some heart trouble in the past few years, but I pray that man has one more big tour in him, I only got to see him once.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

sylvian $

Postby billster on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Sylvian makes a comfortable living as he owns all the publishing to all his songs. No small thing when you consider the amount of work he's put out since he was 19, including the many collaborations and film synchs etc.

Its too complicated to go into here, but this is where the $ comes from when one is a 'recording artiste' - not from record sales and not fro touring unless the venues are Rolling Stones massive and or/the performer does it solo out of the back of a van.

Sylvian probably barely breaks even on his tours, if that.

the rest of the japan boys get sod all from the Japan catalogue and their own solo work sells extremely little and does not generate anything publsihing wise - or very little at best.

I imagine Karn has it hardest....

but Sylvian has never done anything for money and being the chap he seems to be now is not likely to start doing so now, me don't think...
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: sylvian $

Postby natsume on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:08 pm

[quote="billster"]Sylvian makes a comfortable living as he owns all the publishing to all his songs. No small thing when you consider the amount of work he's put out since he was 19, including the many collaborations and film synchs etc.

quote]

Really? I was under the impression that he was forced into the Everything and Nothing project because Virgin owns his back catalogue, and as he wanted to leave Virgin, it was his last chance to ever work with that original material, those original recordings. Also, I remember reading somewhere that this is also why a good proper DVD or live release of the last two tours is commercially out of the question, as he would have to pay royalties on his own back catalogue? I could be totally wrong. Anybody know?
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 am

No, your'e confusing the recordings of the songs with the actual songs.

Evertime his songs are used in any capacity - radio, TV, released on CD, vinyl, itunes, in films..DS gets paid 100% (Unless its a co-write in which case its shared).

Virgin/EMI own the actual recordings of the songs from his time with them and they can do what they like with them...but they still have to pay DS for the rights to the songs - (and the recordings, ultimately, but its unlikely he has recouped the advances they paid to him to record those songs)...
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Despair on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Evertime his songs are used in any capacity - radio, TV, released on CD, vinyl, itunes, in films..DS gets paid 100% (Unless its a co-write in which case its shared).

Hi Billster.
Alas Sylvian very rarely gets played, rarely gets covered,rarely has his music used in adverts or TV, so id guess he earns very little from his publishing either.

Remembering back to the mid 80s, the reason for the Preperations For A Journey documentary, was because Sylvian was short of money....that woulda been after the height of his earning potential.
Im sure he`s not a pauper, but with a divorce, and teenage kids, plus the running of a label and a studio, financial considerations will be paramount at the moment.
Not suggesting he`d ever sell his soul for a Tin Drum re-union tour, but he/they could certainly pull something off that had integrity.
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

etc

Postby billster on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:39 pm

I think you'd be suprised at how much he is played, esp' if you consider how many TV and radio stations there are in the world.

I actually checked him on the MCPS data base a year ago and all of the songs were active. Plus there's synch payments (in the 1o's of thousands for each track, for recording and the right to use the actual song), etc etc
Plus one gets mechanical royalties for each time his stuff is actually pressed as a cd...

But anyway. I get the impression he's comfortable, financially but we could never know.

I did wonder how much Opium got from the Led Zep gig, as they manage John Paul Jones...but I don't think DS has much of an intererst in that as a company any more?

The point is, the beautiful thing about Japan splitting when they did was th they never fulfilled their potential..so one is always tempted to dream...
Although i remember reading that DS said he felt they HAD fulfilled their potential...with 'New moon at red deer wallow' (?!)
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: reply

Postby Astronaut on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Japanfan - Hello! Soz! Didn't mean to sound insulting there! So, in the spirit of friendly 'debate' ... ...
japanfan wrote:I disagree, nothing selfish with wanting to see your fav band perform live. Japan were so good, it was a major loss to British music when they split. Therefore id love to see them come back, i think as a band they have many many more years and great albums in them. Nothing stopping them doing solo projects and continuing the legacy of Japan with an album every year or two, and the odd tour.

Japan were so good. Agree.
Major loss to music. Agree.
Many more years and great albums in them. Disagree. 1.
Nothing stopping them doing solo projects. Agree.
Continuing legacy of Japan ... albums & tours. Disagree - profoundly. 2.
Disagree because:
1. Personal differences which cannot be ignored (unfortunately) meant that being together in the same room was painful for all concerned and not in any way conducive to creating great music. It was good for them to split when they did before one of them had a total nervous breakdown. As far as I'm aware, those differences are still an issue albeit a lesser one, but ...
2. Continuing the legacy isnt necessary in the way you suggest as the music speaks for itself. It doesn't need to be augmented in any way and even if it was to be it wouldn't be the same as it was 25 years ago. Obviously. The solo careers of all involved in Japan is a continuance of sorts.

Respect
Astronaut :smt020
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 am

All good points Mr Astronaut, but it wasnt 25+ years since they were last together. Sylvian n Karn recorded together in 1986, and of course RTC were 17/18 years ago, whilst ALL band members have integrated at various points up to the present day.

Of course, no one would suggest that Sylvian dye his hair blonde and re-do Tin Drum live, but again ill reiterate, that RTC album, and a few gems from the distant past.
It will happen :D
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Astronaut on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Despair wrote:All good points Mr Astronaut, but it wasnt 25+ years since they were last together. Sylvian n Karn recorded together in 1986, and of course RTC were 17/18 years ago, whilst ALL band members have integrated at various points up to the present day.
Of course, no one would suggest that Sylvian dye his hair blonde and re-do Tin Drum live, but again ill reiterate, that RTC album, and a few gems from the distant past.
It will happen :D

Still a generation ago Despair. In other words - A LONG TIME AGO!
BTW: Astronaut will suffice thanks! Since I'm not planning on having a gender re-assignment op anytime soon ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Oh we had fun in this thread didn't we?

I've just been reminded of it again because on the Pioneers Yahoo group someone has just been talking about an interview with DS on Serbian radio, in which he said he would be releasing a solo album this year.

So I wonder when he's going to have the time to make those grovelling phone calls to Richard and Mick before they sell out the MEN Arena... :wink:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm

When i contacted Samadhisound about questions for David they said he was very busy until later in the year. Just think how much of a shock it would be to some fans to learn this time was being spent bringing back together Japan including Rob Dean! One can dream lol.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion