Porcupine tree-I just can't get into them

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby krausy on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:12 am

yeah, Proggrl can definitely help you in this department. She knows which albums are the ones to hear first. Thing is, PT have evolved over time in style and sound, so it is worth listen to a little of it all.

I also love Rain Tree Crow. I just see it as the same guys of Japan only they evolved as well, and had the freedom to do whatever under another name, therefore not having to live up to anyone's expectations if they were under the Japan name.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:31 pm

krausy wrote:
I also love Rain Tree Crow. I just see it as the same guys of Japan only they evolved as well, and had the freedom to do whatever under another name, therefore not having to live up to anyone's expectations if they were under the Japan name.

That is a very valid point Krausy, and like I said on another thread re:RTC, 6 or 7 years had passed by since they all recorded together and during that time they had grown and developed both personally and professionally and when I heard the RTC album I was just knocked out by it's warmth. It's a great album and one I play a lot. However, I do understand why some Japan fans might not be so taken with it ...
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am

I honestly don't know HOW I missed this thread. Especially since my name has been called out on it a few times already. I had a bit of a thread around here somewhere and a post where I listed out all the albums, which would need to be seriously updated now.

FOUND IT! Quite a lengthy discussion here. And indeed needs to be updated. It may help you if you are seriously looking to understand or at least appreciate the qualities of PT. http://www.japansylvian.com/forum/viewt ... ?p=113#113

Deadwing commercial? Certainly not judging by it's sales (or lack of). Musically speaking, not by a long shot. You and I may have differing opinions on the term 'commercial'. PT might not be your cup of tea, which is certainly your right, but to judge them by one or two albums would be like judging Japan or Sylvian by the first couple albums. PT change their sound quite often yet retain a very distictive overall sound all of their own.

There is something very 'special' about this band. The emotional feel, musical quality, diversification, the melodies, progressions, etc. The thing with music like theirs is it includes a little bit for everyone. Maybe it's not something that everyone would like overall, but people I've met like something in it, possibly a song or two, if not outright love it.

If given the chance, you may find it to be a very rewarding experience. Otherwise, consider your bank account saved and don't feel bad if you don't 'get it'!

Enjoy!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:50 pm

As Proggrl said, there is something very special about PT. The first time I heard them was live and since then I've been spending a fortune to grab all of their records I can put my hands on, and am very glad for it!
Anyway, Liberty Boy, if you haven't seen this yet, it could help you make up your mind about them:
http://dailymotion.alice.it/relevance/s ... ast_events

Raise the volume to the max and enjoy yourself :smt020
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:31 pm

inkinthewell wrote:As Proggrl said, there is something very special about PT. The first time I heard them was live and since then I've been spending a fortune to grab all of their records I can put my hands on, and am very glad for it!
Anyway, Liberty Boy, if you haven't seen this yet, it could help you make up your mind about them:
http://dailymotion.alice.it/relevance/s ... ast_events

Raise the volume to the max and enjoy yourself :smt020

Ciao ciao!

Liberty boy has gone... but somehow is not forgotten...

But it's still good for people to be able to get a 'taste' of PT!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Porcupine tree-I just can't get into them

Postby Barbierian on Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 am

Well, my recent flirtation with PT, whilst certainly not love at first hearing is ..... actually producing results and I can say that I'm definitely liking some of it and the bits I'm liking, I'm liking a lot ie. Trains - can't stop playing that one.

I know from reading a recent poll on the PT site that quite a lot of fans list that as one of their least favourite tracks, perhaps because they prefer the heavier (more recent) stuff, which incidentally still has it's merits IMO, but admittedly is not sitting so well with me at present (such a girlie - prefer a mellower approach generally).

Anyway, I'll continue the dalliance and will go and see them live if they pull the 'proverbial finger' out and announce some North West dates for their upcoming Autumn tour.
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 am

Barbierian wrote:Anyway, I'll continue the dalliance and will go and see them live if they pull the 'proverbial finger' out and announce some North West dates for their upcoming Autumn tour.

It would be more like a winter tour if you get it, or late autumn - late Nov or Dec is what I keep hearing, but I'm not sure how extensive that will be, or if it will be. A lot of the later tour rumours state it depends on if the announced tour sells well.

What albums have you tired? If you like the more melodic stuff, you may want to work your way backwards (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, etc...) :D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 am

proggrl wrote:
Barbierian wrote:Anyway, I'll continue the dalliance and will go and see them live if they pull the 'proverbial finger' out and announce some North West dates for their upcoming Autumn tour.

It would be more like a winter tour if you get it, or late autumn - late Nov or Dec is what I keep hearing, but I'm not sure how extensive that will be, or if it will be. A lot of the later tour rumours state it depends on if the announced tour sells well.

What albums have you tired? If you like the more melodic stuff, you may want to work your way backwards (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, etc...) :D

Funnily enough that's exactly what Nat (anortherncod) recommended I do :D .

Regarding any further UK dates being added to the tour, it'll just be my luck that they'll choose November 22nd when I have a pre-existing date with my daughter and the Jonas Brothers :smt100 (what can I say? I can only be held responsible for 50% of her genetic make up!!!). She likes the one called Nick, he's got lovely curly black hair and gorgeous chocolate brown eyes apparently - hummm ..... that sounds strangely familiar :smt017 .... er, I dunno why .... :smt102 .... it'll probably come to me later :wink:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am

Have you bought an album yet Barbierian? Or have you been listening online?
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Wed May 13, 2009 1:04 pm

anortherncod wrote:Have you bought an album yet Barbierian? Or have you been listening online?

I have to confess it has been solely on-line so far but now that I have a better idea of what it's all about I will order some stuff. I say order some stuff, as I have been unable to find either of the solo albums in the shops, I intend to get firstly Things Buried and the two Porcupine albums you've recommended :-D I'll give them my undivided attention when I get back from hol :wink:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed May 13, 2009 1:15 pm

^^^ I'm SO persuasive sometimes :wink: :lol:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 pm

anortherncod wrote:^^^ I'm SO persuasive sometimes :wink: :lol:

You're my PT guru (pays homage). Just don't forget, I will always worship at the altar of JAPAN :!:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Thu May 14, 2009 6:56 am

Barbierian wrote:
anortherncod wrote:^^^ I'm SO persuasive sometimes :wink: :lol:

You're my PT guru (pays homage). Just don't forget, I will always worship at the altar of JAPAN :!:

I will too - just that tbh I can never separate Japan and PT - without Japan I wouldn't have become a PT fan, it's part of Japan's legacy for me personally :D
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 am

Well .... you never know, I may be saying something similar in the future :-D
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Mon May 25, 2009 7:03 am

Barbierian wrote:Regarding any further UK dates being added to the tour, it'll just be my luck that they'll choose November 22nd when I have a pre-existing date with my daughter and the Jonas Brothers

No worries, they play in Madrid that night. And Barcelona the day after (and I hope I'll be there!) :-D

I think that also Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are your albums if you like mellower stuff. Funny enough I liked better the heavier stuff when I first discovered him. My first PT cd (the Lazarus EP) has 2 mellow tracks and one heavier one, and liked the latter better! :-D
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion