Porcupine tree-I just can't get into them

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Porcupine tree-I just can't get into them

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:54 am

I know they're on a fair few myspace profiles. They're a bit like the Rain tree crow album- I'm having a real job trying to get into them.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:01 am

Sometimes a group leaves you cold at first and then you hear a certain stand out track and it seems to open them up to you - you realise what they're trying to do. Porcupine tree just seem to be ploughing a crowded field - with those Nine inch Nails type groups. I think improvisations really need some definite purpose to be interesting.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:03 am

It was quite easy getting into them for me. And their music changes a lot from one era to the other. Early PT is more Pinkfloidish (if that's a word). But then, not all of us have to like the same :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:11 am

Well I don't know. I'm wary of groups that refer to themselves as "projects". In my experience it tends to be a synonym for dry and self indulgent.
Last edited by liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:14 am

Uh, I don't see it like that. Probably Steven calls PT a "project" because when he started his real band was No-Man. But now it's like the other way round. I don't know. It's just a word really.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 am

Yes lest I sound shallow i do like some of Pink floyd's experimentalism but I think if you're going to deviate from conventional tracks and songs you've got to have some really good ideas for it to be interesting.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 am

I know PT aren't every Japan fan's cup of T (!), but I love them. I took a gamble when I saw a copy of In Absentia in a secondhand record shop for £7; the rest is history.

Even though the two bands are obviously very, very different, as someone who never saw Japan live, PT are a kind of a continuation of them for me. Being into them means I can go and see a band in concert I love without having to wait for DS to announce a tour every 3-4 years - that's assuming he'll tour again, which he might not.

Furthermore I can definitely hear RB's influence on PT - it's that Barbieri touch again.

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 am

Well, I think that PT are really interesting, but then others can think it's total crap. It's just a matter of opinion really. I do think they are very innovative and killer live as well. But then we all can't like the same things! :wink:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 pm

I don't think it's crap.

I think those who appreciate Rain tree crow would probably like porcupine tree.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:08 pm

Actually I'm judging them on just one album- the name of which i forget but which was essentially an improvised jam so I assumed that was typically of their stuff. But I've just listened now to the album Deadwing which is more commercial and i suppose i can imagine they'rd be a market for them. Even so whilst I wouldn't be ashamed to have them in my CD collection I don't think I'rd put them in the category of greatness.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby VaporTrail on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:27 pm

liberty boy wrote:Actually I'm judging them on just one album

With a band like PT, or any band as a matter of fact, it's probably not the wisest thing to form an opinion on them after listening to one album.

Listen to more than just one or two of their albums, every album they've done sounds completely different.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby John Trevethan on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:33 pm

liberty boy wrote:Actually I'm judging them on just one album- the name of which i forget but which was essentially an improvised jam so I assumed that was typically of their stuff. But I've just listened now to the album Deadwing which is more commercial and i suppose i can imagine they'rd be a market for them. Even so whilst I wouldn't be ashamed to have them in my CD collection I don't think I'rd put them in the category of greatness.

Proggrl will set ya straight! ( Once she checks this thread, that is...)

She gave me tips on what PT's various albums were all about... pointed me in a direction.

Then Vapor Trail helped me fill in the gaps and I was soon loving the band.

:wink:
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Sounds like you started with Metanoia which is probably the last album I would pick to start anyone off on PT.

I don't know what sort of stuff you like (except Japan) but PT tend to be quite varied, so you might only like a handful of tracks. Maybe some of No Man's output would be more suited to you.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:Sounds like you started with Metanoia which is probably the last album I would pick to start anyone off on PT.

It does sound like that, doesn't it? Have a go with Stupid Dream, In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet. Lightbulb Sun is supposed to be a corker - but I wouldn't know because I have not got it :cry:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:06 am

liberty boy wrote:I don't think it's crap.

I wasn't meaning it was you, but I do know of people that can't stand them at all. It's okay, I mean, it's all a matter of taste :)

And if it's Metanoia the one that you heard, that one is not really the most representative stuff. I think it's good, but not one that I hear too often. And all their stuff is so different: more pshychedelic at the beginning, more song oriented in Lightbulb Sun and Stupid dream and a bit harder from In Absentia on.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion