Simon Napier Bell takes on the Music Industry

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Melaszka on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:16 pm

karnsculpture wrote:Sorry, but you have a lot to lean about men and male sexuality! A lot of gay men actually ARE or prefer "blokeish" men. Me included.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anybody. But I only commented on my gay friends (well, yes, OK and speculated that SNB might be similar to them, based on his apparent attitude to RB). It was never my intention to make a blanket statement about all gay men.

And by "blokeish" I didn't mean "masculine" or "uncamp" - I know that the majority of gay men aren't camp or effeminate.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Karnsculpture
A lot of gay men actually ARE or prefer "blokeish" men. Me included.

That reminds me of a quote from "The Naked Civil Servant" (does anyone else remember that excellent TV drama starring the wonderful John Hurt as Quentin Crisp?) After being beaten to a pulp once again for trying to look like Greta Garbo, Crisp is given some advice: "Remember, some queers are rough; and some roughs are queer!" :) Which brings to mind another bit of useless trivia: Quentin Crisp was once Angus McBean's lover, and Angus McBean was, of course, in Davids' video for "Red Guitar". :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:15 am

karnsculpture wrote:Anyway, we have all missed the obvious - why not just email Simon and ask him more about what he thought about Rich? His email address is public - but be warned he may publish his reply on the website: mail@napierbell.com

Y'know I don't think I'd have the nerve to email SNB myself. I think he'd rip me to shreds!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Is anyone brave enough to volunteer? I'm not sure I'd know how to phrase the question! Would be interesting to see his response though! :D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:00 am

Have you all read White Powder? there is quite a bit about Japan in it. The trouble is it's a bit sensationalist- not about japan, but in general- stressing drug use and rock and roll behaviour- for example it talks about Freddie Mercury ordering rent boys to join him in the bath back stage. ..I don't think I wanted to know that. It's actually like a history of the various eras of pop and fashion and though it might be just the way it's written but with Simon Napier Bell seeming to put himself at the centre of them all as though the universe revolved around him.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:29 pm

liberty boy wrote:Have you all read White Powder? there is quite a bit about Japan in it. The trouble is it's a bit sensationalist... it might be just the way it's written but with Simon Napier Bell seeming to put himself at the centre of them all as though the universe revolved around him.

Hiya liberty boy! I don't think we have 'met' before, welcome :-)

If you have a look earlier in this thread, some of us have read it and some of us haven't. I read it quickly - largely because I was more interested in the parts with Japan, LOL - and also posted a quote about SNB not liking RB very much. Then we all tried to work out why, and it was suggested someone could email SNB to find out, but I'm too chicken!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Well I'd e-mail him, if someone else wants to help me 'compose' it, I mean it's not like I'm ever going to come face-to-face with him is it? And if he rips the c**p outta me on his website - good luck to him! So anyone want to lend their assistance? :smt101
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Astronaut wrote:Well I'd e-mail him, if someone else wants to help me 'compose' it, I mean it's not like I'm ever going to come face-to-face with him is it? And if he rips the c**p outta me on his website - good luck to him! So anyone want to lend their assistance? :smt101

*clears throat*

"Dear Simon,

Why were you such a big meanie about Richard Barbieri? Is it because you were jealous of his knob-twiddling? Lots of love, Astronaut"

No, seriously... I'll help you out, what are friends for?!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Short and to the point ... and that's just the "knob twiddling", now for the e-mail! Heh-Heh-Heh!!! :smt084

Thanks Natasha! :smt041
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Hello Karnsculpture!
Good point. I'll do that. Thanks! :smt023
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48 pm

anortherncod wrote:
liberty boy wrote:Have you all read White Powder? there is quite a bit about Japan in it. The trouble is it's a bit sensationalist... it might be just the way it's written but with Simon Napier Bell seeming to put himself at the centre of them all as though the universe revolved around him.

Hiya liberty boy! I don't think we have 'met' before, welcome :-)

If you have a look earlier in this thread, some of us have read it and some of us haven't. I read it quickly - largely because I was more interested in the parts with Japan, LOL - and also posted a quote about SNB not liking RB very much. Then we all tried to work out why, and it was suggested someone could email SNB to find out, but I'm too chicken!

Natasha

hello northern cod. Did he not like RB? I have to say I didn't notice. Though I did used to think when I was a school boy RB reminded me a bit of someone at school because he had slightly mean looking eyes. I guess he was just very serious looking.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:27 am

liberty boy wrote:hello northern cod. Did he not like RB? I have to say I didn't notice. Though I did used to think when I was a school boy RB reminded me a bit of someone at school because he had slightly mean looking eyes. I guess he was just very serious looking.

In my opinion - and I think that of other people here - the quotes that I posted earlier in the thread would suggest quite strongly that he didn't!

Never mind. Must PM Astronaut. Together we will get to the bottom of this, RB fact fans!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion