Simon Napier Bell takes on the Music Industry

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby krausy on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Astronaut wrote:Hmmm, I'm not sure I know enough to comment on this at the moment (my book hasn't materialised yet!!!) but just a thought here, could it also be that RB, like RD, isn't and wasn't as sexually ambiguous as DS, SJ and (to a lesser extent) MK? I mean, just look at those guys 30 years ago - they were very beautiful and I think some of them played on that image as much as they could. Or did SNB encouraged them to play up that sexual ambiguity, especially DS with that awful promotional line of "worlds most beautiful man" and as Natasha has said on another forum David has given interviews in the distant past where he states that he has slept with men and women (and didn't enjoy either experience) and altho we know he was probably being sarcastic/witty or generally trying to liven up yet another dull, boring interview, do you think he said such things because he was encouraged to do so by his management? :-)

You know, after reading through this thread again, and having remembered something about SNB, what you have just said Astronaut, hits the nail on the head!!! That could very well be the reason....
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:40 pm

I have just finished reading the SNB - BVWP book which i can recommened a lot - a great laugh as well a very depressing at times

he does not mention a whole lot on Japan and in cases where it is it is only DS that is mentioned (generally very favourably). RB is labelled as being a bit slow (mentally) - whatever caused hm to say so
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:10 pm

The Analog Kid wrote:I have just finished reading the SNB - BVWP book which i can recommened a lot... RB is labelled as being a bit slow (mentally) - whatever caused hm to say so

Well I am inclined to think that us girls got it right in the posts above - why SNB was a big meanie about RB, I mean...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:03 pm

The more I find out about SNB the more I suspect he was seriously attracted to DS. He didn't want to sign up the rest of the band initially did he? It was only because David insisted it was an 'all or nothing' situation that SNB capitulated ...
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 am

Astronaut wrote:The more I find out about SNB the more I suspect he was seriously attracted to DS. He didn't want to sign up the rest of the band initially did he? It was only because David insisted it was an 'all or nothing' situation that SNB capitulated ...

I know. And I seem to remember that in BVWP he several times suggests that he allowed emotional attachment to overrule good business sense where David was concerned.

In fairness to SNB, though, I've thought more about his apparent dislike of RB and it has struck me that most of my gay male friends and colleagues have a real problem with "blokeish" men - you know, the kebab-eating, smelly-trainer-wearing, football-watching sort. Perhaps it's the fact that they were bullied so much when young for not being that kind of man themselves, but they seem much more comfortable with straight men who are a bit more metrosexual, and can often be quite vicious and rude to my more blokeish friends, with no provocation at all. Richard strikes me as being the most blokeish of Japan by a long way (with the possible exception of Rob Dean).
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:49 am

Melaszka wrote:In fairness to SNB, though, I've thought more about his apparent dislike of RB and it has struck me that most of my gay male friends and colleagues have a real problem with "blokeish" men - you know, the kebab-eating, smelly-trainer-wearing, football-watching sort... Richard strikes me as being the most blokeish of Japan by a long way (with the possible exception of Rob Dean).

Now I do agree with you Melaszka. But this has got me pondering whether Richard eats kebabs and has smelly trainers... LOL! We need to know the answers to these questions, forthwith :D

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:30 am

anortherncod wrote:But this has got me pondering whether Richard eats kebabs and has smelly trainers... LOL! We need to know the answers to these questions, forthwith :D

LMAO!!!! Who's asking??? :shock: :lol:

*sorry Rich hope you know this is not serious AT ALL! ;)*
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:38 am

sisterlondon wrote:
anortherncod wrote:But this has got me pondering whether Richard eats kebabs and has smelly trainers... LOL! We need to know the answers to these questions, forthwith :D

LMAO!!!! Who's asking??? :shock: :lol:

*sorry Rich hope you know this is not serious AT ALL! ;)*

Does he ever come over here then...? :shock: I know he might have the occasional mooch at PTF, thanks to you sisterlondon :wink:

But no, it's not serious. Bet he would have smelly trainers after a tennis match anyway...! :D

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:43 am

Well, we know he might read on PTF (that RB misterious user with 0 posts... ;)), specially after what he told me. And someone mentioned here that he and Suzanne left the David gig in London before it ended and then Suzanne emailed Kera to say it wasn't right (and it wasn't, because I saw them leave for a moment but they came back and could say hi to Rich afterwards). So well... you never know who is reading... just in case ;)

And I bet that everyone would have smelly trainers in almost any case! We are all human!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:48 am

sisterlondon wrote:And I bet that everyone would have smelly trainers in almost any case! We are all human!

It was only a joke, honest... never wanted to offend RB, or anyone... :oops:

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:51 am

Heee, sure that no one was offended, no worries! :D
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:33 am

hey I have NO smelly trainers! (in fact I do not have ANY trainers so there) I do east kebabs tho ;)
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Meyrav on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am

Astronaut wrote:The more I find out about SNB the more I suspect he was seriously attracted to DS. He didn't want to sign up the rest of the band initially did he? It was only because David insisted it was an 'all or nothing' situation that SNB capitulated ...

LOL, I like that theory. In fact, Sylvian is so beautiful (well, for me, i'm talking about the 70's & 80's era) that i can seriously understand men who feel attracted to him, and I won't even call them gays. 8)
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am

sisterlondon wrote:Well, we know he might read on PTF (that RB misterious user with 0 posts... ;)), specially after what he told me. And someone mentioned here that he and Suzanne left the David gig in London before it ended and then Suzanne emailed Kera to say it wasn't right (and it wasn't, because I saw them leave for a moment but they came back and could say hi to Rich afterwards). So well... you never know who is reading... just in case ;)

And I bet that everyone would have smelly trainers in almost any case! We are all human!

Oops. Should have chosen my words more carefully. The trainers were just an example. I didn't mean to cast any aspersions on Mr B's personal hygiene habits, which I'm sure are impeccable. :lol:
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:32 am

Melaszka wrote:Oops. Should have chosen my words more carefully. The trainers were just an example. I didn't mean to cast any aspersions on Mr B's personal hygiene habits, which I'm sure are impeccable. :lol:

I'm sure they are too, I second that... emotion! Oh no, Natasha's starting telling awful jokes... run!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion