I need some help please

Forum rules, help with images & avatars, suggestions & more...

I need some help please

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 3:41 pm

I tried addressing this in the help section but it says only admins have access. Seems odd to have a help section and not be able to ask for help.

I have been attempting to upload photos to the gallery... they are the proper size but I'm being told the file is corrupt or too large. Well, the file is not corrupt nor is it too large for the dimensions listed as appropriate by the site.
Does the image have to be loaded to a place on the net? or can you load them directly from my computers desktop? I completely forgot that they may need to be loaded to an outside source...
Can someone please help me out :-)
thanks
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:19 pm

Hey!

Hmm... I had this problem when I first stared out- I saved all of the pictures as JPG's and they were too big- If you can try "Save for web" I'm also sorry about not being able to post in the forum help category- I'll fix that now, and I'll also move your post there.

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 11:25 pm

Thank you.... interesting issue though. I know how to save images for the web. The one image i was trying at first is 72dpi 504pixels at its greatest size which happens to be the width.
I'm using photoshop and a mac... it shouldn't make a difference but do you think it is?
I remember on the AndyTaylor.com website, they use the same format of website, there were always issues with one thing and another.
Well I'll give it another go with the photo...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 11:29 pm

hey just wanted to let you know... i did a save to web and it worked fine. I'll do that with them all from now on. Thanks for your help :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:hey just wanted to let you know... i did a save to web and it worked fine. I'll do that with them all from now on. Thanks for your help :-)

Glad you got that sorted out my friend, cause I know you got the seweeeet pics!!!!!!!!

I need to do some scanning on mine, don't cha think? 8)
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blood of a Poet on Fri May 19, 2006 11:36 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:The one image i was trying at first is 72dpi 504pixels at its greatest size which happens to be the width.
I'm using photoshop and a mac... it shouldn't make a difference but do you think it is?

I'm on a Mac as well, using both OSX and OS9 I haven't had any problems uploading - so I don't think that's an issue.

Are you certain that your file is less than 128k? I know that Silver Moon was considering bumping up the file size if many people thought it was too small.
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Astronaut on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:36 am

Hey Kera! :smt006

I am experiencing exactly the same problems. I cannot upload the few pix I have to share with you guys. I get the same message "Corrupted/too large" when I KNOW the file isn't. I don't understand your "Save to the Web" advice. I thought I had to save to an outside source? I don't appear to have the facility to "Save to the Web" (but I could just be having a senior moment!) so could you recommend a free site that I can up-load the pix to?
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:37 am

I think that there is some confusion about the "too large" error - images must be within certain pixel dimensions AND also under a certain file size (in bytes). When you "save for web" in Photoshop the file is optimized and saved at a much smaller byte size than just saving as a normal jpg or gif.

If you don't have Photoshop just try backing down the jpg quality a little until the file size is accepted for uploading.

I see that Silvermoon has the file size limited to 150k, so you will need to set your jpg quality to fit under that amount.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi John! :smt006 Many thanks for replying. I'm sure it's something I'm doing incorrectly that's causing the problem here! Also I don't have photoshop so that doesnt help! I'll do as you suggest and try "backing down the jpeg quality" and see what happens then.

Thanks again. :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Forum Help & Info