Off topic - self-erasing DVD?

Forum rules, help with images & avatars, suggestions & more...

Off topic - self-erasing DVD?

Postby svendutchmountains on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Apologies - this has nothing to do with Japan or David but I've not been able to get a decent answer elsewhere so I thought I might try this forum...

Yesterday I went to an art exhibition of Philippe Parreno, a French filmmaker. He showcased two new films - 'Marilyn' and 'Continuously Habitable Zaones'. With your entry ticket you received a free DVD. The leaflet of the exhibition states "At the museum entrance visitors receive a DVD containing both films so that they can carry the exhibition out of the musuem space. On the DVD the two films feautre a musical soundtrack bu Arto Lindsay. These versions sound different from the exhibited films, just as memory can differ from reality. After the DVD has been viewed, the films erase themselves".

Both films - but especially Marilyn left a immense impression on me... It's long since I've been captivated by a (short) movie I've not yet tried the DVD. My question is - how is it possible the 'films erase themselves'. I'm guestimating there must be some type of locking feature... but how does it work and more importantly - how can it be unlocked? I've got both an Apple MacBook Pro and a Windows machine... Anyone knows?

By the way - Philippe Parreno is the guy who made the Zinedine Zidane movie - where they followed him for 24 hours...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Off topic - self-erasing DVD?

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 pm

It's been a year - and I've still had no replies on this! Not just from this forum, but also from the Mac fora I read regularly... Damn! And that movie is such a cracker! It's also not on youtube, nor available commercially!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't know what I'm talking about, so this may be a stupid suggestion, but have you tried copying the files from the DVD without playing the movies?
If you set the preferences on your Mac so that it won't play the DVD automatically, then maybe it's possible.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I might try this as a last resort but I'm afraid that as soon as I put the dvd in the laptop it will launch into autoplay and then somehow 'lock'. I've got two copies (I went twice) so may give this a try...

Thanks again!
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dizrythmia on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 am

not sure if you've already looked it up or taken care of this, but it's easy to disable autoplay. i saw it was already mentioned upthread that you can do this in system preferences, but not where specifically. just go to hardware > cds & dvds. from there, the last option (on my macbook, anyway) will say "when you insert a video dvd", and you can change it from the default dvd player option. if you want it to do nothing, just select ignore. that way, you can look at the files, copy the disc, whatever you want to do. i'd suggest either ripping the files with a program like handbrake or making a disc image.

good luck!
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:45 pm

dizrythmia wrote:not sure if you've already looked it up or taken care of this, but it's easy to disable autoplay. i saw it was already mentioned upthread that you can do this in system preferences, but not where specifically. just go to hardware > cds & dvds. from there, the last option (on my macbook, anyway) will say "when you insert a video dvd", and you can change it from the default dvd player option. if you want it to do nothing, just select ignore. that way, you can look at the files, copy the disc, whatever you want to do. i'd suggest either ripping the files with a program like handbrake or making a disc image.

good luck!

I think I owe you big time kuddo's!

Thanks! Really!
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dizrythmia on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 am

you're welcome! glad i could help. :)
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Return to Forum Help & Info