Dead Bees on A Cake - A flawed beauty?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby Drake on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:47 am

Oh, it's an excellent album! And yes, you could remove a couple of tunes, but in a way they are needed to make the album more varied in form and style.

I surrender is my fav.
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:44 pm

the main thing i really can't embrace is his voice
I just saw this today...please understand, I mean no personal offense here, but if you can't appreciate David's voice on Thalheim, Darkest Dreaming, Wanderlust, and The Shining of Things...I don't see how his other tracks DO appeal to you...? Those are beautiful songs and are representative of David's work throughout his career really. Excepting his instrumental pieces and perhaps Blemish, that is what Sylvian sounds like...I have a few friends (and family members :-) ) that don't appreciate David's voice, but they pretty much feel that way whenever they hear him...I do recognize that his voice is unique and that there will be some that it doesn't "connect" with...but to point out DBOAC as flawed or of poor quality I think is just missing the boat. My opinion, for all it's worth.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Agreed in some ways....I listened to DBOAC today. Stereo on, drinking cups of coffee, smoking cigerettes and staring blankly out into the world from my doorstep. I re-assessed everything in terms of that album. Though, I think it depends what mood you're in for some tracks; it's a very loved up kinda album I think. And Shining is one of my all time favourite tracks. Love the orchestral arrangement. I find it surprising that it isn't one of the faves of many other people. But...each to their own. I don't think you can say 'if you don't like these tracks, then you shouldn't like others'. It's all about preference at the end of the day. And penguins.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Tin Bird wrote:
the main thing i really can't embrace is his voice
I just saw this today...please understand, I mean no personal offense here, but if you can't appreciate David's voice on Thalheim, Darkest Dreaming, Wanderlust, and The Shining of Things...I don't see how his other tracks DO appeal to you...? Those are beautiful songs and are representative of David's work throughout his career really. Excepting his instrumental pieces and perhaps Blemish, that is what Sylvian sounds like...I have a few friends (and family members :-) ) that don't appreciate David's voice, but they pretty much feel that way whenever they hear him...I do recognize that his voice is unique and that there will be some that it doesn't "connect" with...but to point out DBOAC as flawed or of poor quality I think is just missing the boat. My opinion, for all it's worth.

oh well, we are all different. i can understand the beauty in each of those songs you mention, but why is it that i never have a need to listen to them? i think sylvian's voice is beyond beauty, there are few voices that i regard higer. and yet, DBOAC is a mystery to me. ask me again in 6 months or 10 years, i might have another opinion.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chet on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 am

I see what you mean Sylvie...
I tend to skip this album aswell. even though I like some songs on it.
and I do think Davids voice is differently taken care of and mixed on DBOC.
I prefer it before and after.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:44 am

mmm, to me, DBOAC is the best of his solo album... :smt090
we are different, so interesting!
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:46 am

Darkest Dreaming is one of his greatest songs, I think! Right up there with Orpheus to me...

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby VaporTrail on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:48 am

I find DBOAC to be his most enjoyable listen for me, after SotB. Fantastic album.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:50 am

While it surprises me that DBOAC is NOT considered a fave by many, like has been stated, it all comes down to personal preferences...for example, in my case, Gone to Earth is the album that doesn't 100% resonate w me. I love the album, but Brilliant Tree s and SOTB do more for me, so the personal preference thing I agree with totally. I guess I just don't hear the difference in vocal sound/style on DBOAC that some others hear. I agree that the album is varied and broad in scope, but his vocals sound like classic Sylvian to me. I could agree that they are drier and more up front in the mix than, say, Gone to Earth which has them treated with much more reverb...but, I think that's kind've been the standard for his vocals since DBOAC. His voice is super dry and way up front on Blemish and SBS. Anyway, just responding to the thread...there are a lot of things in life I don't get...this one certainly isn't a big deal, just a curiosity. :-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Darkest Dreaming is one of his greatest songs, I think!

-K-

I couldn't agree more... i often listen to this repeatedly before going to sleep at night
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:44 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:Darkest Dreaming is one of his greatest songs, I think!

-K-

I couldn't agree more... i often listen to this repeatedly before going to sleep at night

Ditto and Ditto!

By far one of his best songs ever. Beautiful, just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Also Ride and I Surrender - 2 of my absolute favourites EVER!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Yup Ride has been one of my all time favourites... there is just something so physical about the song. I mean I truly believe music has sound energy and certain sounds resonate and disgust people in different ways. There is something about Ride and Darkest Dreaming (and many of david's work) that i can feel the vibrational energy from the tones pass into me.

And, no I haven't been smoking anything....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:11 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
And, no I haven't been smoking anything....

Ha-ha-ha! It's OK Gods - I get where your coming from ... :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 am

most post on saturday evenings are too nice...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:23 pm

Chet wrote:most post on saturday evenings are too nice...

Chet, what do you mean? :D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work