Dead Bees on A Cake - A flawed beauty?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby kitaj on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:05 am

funnily enough, I feel the tracklist order for DBOAC works perfectly. my problem with this album is that it's wishy-washy overall (well, after the first 3 tracks anyway). the arrangements are too soft, David's drum programming is frequently poor, and for such a celebratory album in concept, it all sounds remarkably wooden.
about the only thing that I consistently like about this album is his voice. it was the beginning of my appreciating him as a singer as well.
oh, and the cover is fabulous. it's a shame it promises much more than the record delivers.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Imho it's too long... but...

Hiya Kitaj and welcome! :D

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:55 pm

ok shoot me but i like DBOC.... ok don't really shoot me... tee hee
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm

anortherncod wrote:Hiya Kitaj and welcome! :D

thank you!

notwithstanding the fact that I cried for three days upon hearing the album after having waited for it for five full years ("David! who did it to you??"), another issue I have with it is that, for the first time since 'Nightporter', David seemed to have elected to base his songs around a particular idiom/style - light jazz for 'Wanderlust', Indian folk music for 'Krishna Blue', blues for 'Midnight Sun', Nick Drake/classical for 'Shining of Things' etc. coming from Sylvian, this trait seemed to me particularly unadventurous at the time.

it's true to say that I've occasionally experienced recurring mini-epiphanies of sorts regarding this disc, especially in the summertime (a time when, as everyone knows, our perception of things is mostly flawed). I have caught myself thinking, "wow! there's material for a lifetime, here!". but as it's not a particularly vibrant lifetime that's portrayed within the grooves, I suppose that's the reason I did not persevere with it.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 pm

kitaj wrote:it's true to say that I've occasionally experienced recurring mini-epiphanies of sorts regarding this disc, especially in the summertime (a time when, as everyone knows, our perception of things is mostly flawed).

what do you mean by this? Our perception of things is mostly flawed during the summertime???
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:19 am

interesting...
tell us more kitaj
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:21 am

godisinthesilences wrote:
kitaj wrote:it's true to say that I've occasionally experienced recurring mini-epiphanies of sorts regarding this disc, especially in the summertime (a time when, as everyone knows, our perception of things is mostly flawed).

what do you mean by this? Our perception of things is mostly flawed during the summertime???

why of course! :lol:
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 am

Well, a lot of things seem better in the summertime, don't they? Even Cambridge (where I grew up) which usually I just want to set on fire! Is that what you meant Kitaj? (Not the setting Cambridge on fire bit...)

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:17 am

beautiful melancholic songs appear to be even more awesome in the fall.
and the release of Let The Happiness In in the early autumn of 87 became a perfect timing in my life.
but all the late spring releases such as I Surrender fade away under the sun.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 am

hhmm i find david's music much more poignant to me in the autumn... around october/november and i definitely get into a great vibe with nine horses in winter.... personally i am at my most creative in the fall and winter...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:21 am

anortherncod wrote:Well, a lot of things seem better in the summertime, don't they? Even Cambridge (where I grew up) which usually I just want to set on fire! Is that what you meant Kitaj? (Not the setting Cambridge on fire bit...)

Natasha

I think so, yes - I was just being facetious in passing.

then again, who knows? maybe we're more right - or happier - when our critical faculties are suspended.
back to DBOAC, I've often found I can enjoy it on its own terms more fully when listening to it in an unrelated fashion to his other works. but if comparison gets in the way, then it invariably fails.

basically, I think it falls in the 'mature albums' category. you know, latter-day Sting and the like.
on the other hand, 'The Red Shoes' by Kate Bush is another example of this kind of works, and I enjoy it immensely.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:54 pm

kitaj... i agree with you about Kate's Red Shoes... definitely a very different venture for her at the time. And outside of any other context it is very enjoyable indeed. :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:40 pm

might get beheaded after this (and please tell me we know for sure sylvian doesn't visit this forum), but i actually can't stand this record. been following this thread for a while, and considering it was the second david sylvian record i bought (after everything and nothing) i thought i had to give it a chance, haven't listened to it for a year. so i gave it a very thorough listen today. and now i am surprised i actually continued to listen to sylvian after hearing this album.

i often have a feeling about what i like about music, can't really point out certain things i dislike.
the main thing i really can't embrace is his voice. didn't expect that.
i quite like i surrender and wanderlust though.

spent the rest of the day listening to blemish. now life is all good again.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby tallulahtaurus on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I just rambled about it in another thread but I adore this album. It's a real treasure and there is nothing I find flawed about it. I mean I really cannot get along with "All my mother's names", no acid jazz for me please but the rest is genius.

It is all soft stuff suffused with love, almost like he went a bit soul. Some songs truely have an odd beauty to them like Dobro and I'm not sure why I like them but I really do.

So much of the happiness in the album moves me to tears

I can't explain it really all that well.

Likes and dislikes are normally instinctual though so I guess my explanation would always be flawed
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 pm

tallulahtaurus wrote: I mean I really cannot get along with "All my mother's names", no acid jazz for me please but the rest is genius.

I think this is in my top 3 favorites on the album! Different strokes I guess!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work