What should David do next ?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby Stoobie on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:20 pm

first saw David In October 82 with Japan and attended at least 1 concert every tour since. I always approach each concert as this will probably be the last Tour ! but he keeps poping up.

He may have to Tour to keep Samadhisound afloat, but if he doesnt he has many a fine piece of work to his name !

hopefully he will tour again. :?
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:59 am

Don't tempt me to answer this question---- Twisted Evil

And here I was trying to come up with a clean reply... that didn't involve a can of dairy whip, chocolate hail and five silk scarves!! :oops:
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:04 am

While ellen's suggestion certainly has merit *dreams*.... ummmmm my prediction is now that Burnt's album is out and Steve's is out and once the tour is over, they regroup for another Nine Horses album and tour. I would be tres happy with that.

Sylvian has said he'd like for that to continue with NH and for all involved it would be beneficial to continue that maybe on a full time basis with time off for other projects.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:48 am

more stuff in the same vein as the two tracks on the cd that came with the tour programme, thank you very much! :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:55 am

a new solo album, which i get the feeling David has been working on alongside his other projects. i would like to hear the ballad he recorded with Robert Fripp

a collection covering his solo live performances from 88-07, not every set list but covering (mainly) the songs that don't exist in studio form or are radically different from the studio versions

a proper singles collection (most of his singles didn't appear on E&N), this should be paired with a DVD containing the promos

a rarities collection, mainly covering the many collaborations over the past 25 years (Tweaker, Readymade, Blonde Redhead, Russell Mills, Akiko Yano, Virginia Astley etc)
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Melaszka on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:17 pm

deadbees wrote:a new solo album, which i get the feeling David has been working on alongside his other projects. i would like to hear the ballad he recorded with Robert Fripp

a collection covering his solo live performances from 88-07, not every set list but covering (mainly) the songs that don't exist in studio form or are radically different from the studio versions

a proper singles collection (most of his singles didn't appear on E&N), this should be paired with a DVD containing the promos

a rarities collection, mainly covering the many collaborations over the past 25 years (Tweaker, Readymade, Blonde Redhead, Russell Mills, Akiko Yano, Virginia Astley etc)

Yes, most of these would be on my wish list, too, especially No. 2, although the endless rehashings, reheatings and compilation albums of his last few years at Virgin did get a bit annoying (for him, as well as me, I would imagine!), so I'm hoping for lots of new material, first and foremost.

Ultimately, whatever he decides to do next is fine by me - he's become the genius he is today by flying in the face of whatever fans, record companies, marketing people etc think they want and just going ahead and ploughing his own furrow. Long may he continue to do so!
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Oh yes indeed deadbees, I had been very interested in hearing the piece which Fripp performed on as well. If I recall correctly, Fripp recorded his part in October of 2004 and it was a session for the collaborative Sylvian/Jansen project before it evolved into Nine Horses. This sort of lead me to pessimistically conclude that whatever Fripp had contributed had eventually been rejected in favor of something else. I do hope I am wrong and that this recording does surface in some form one day.
Supposedly Fripp's playing on the session was based more on the delicate fingerpicking style (according to Sylvian, it was reminiscent of his work on his first recording with Giles Giles and Fripp) which he sadly neglected after forming the more aggressive King Crimson.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

New projects?

Postby samadhi on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am

There are all sorts of possibilities I guess.

What about a new solo-album with his current band (Steve Jansen, Keith Lowe, Takuma Watanabe and Theo Travis)?

Or a new solo-album with just Takuma Watanabe (or Ryuichi Sakamoto)?

I wouldn't mind a second Nine Hores-album either!

Something more unexpected would be a collaboration with the choreographer Jiri Kylian and 'his' Dutch dance-company Nederlands Dans Theater. I think they are on the same level and that it could become something extraordinairy.

Finally something I've always been hoping for: David Sylvian & Brian Eno!
samadhi
Noob
Noob

Re: New projects?

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:47 pm

samadhi wrote:
Something more unexpected would be a collaboration with the choreographer Jiri Kylian and 'his' Dutch dance-company Nederlands Dans Theater. I think they are on the same level and that it could become something extraordinairy.

WoW I would LOVE something like that!!!

I have to say that I'm still focused on the tour since I'm waiting impatiently for the Madrid show...but I would love something like:

A new solo album - which I think it's the most probable thing.
A new Nine Horses album or some other kind of collaboration and, of course, I hope he tour again although he doesn't play any of his old material.

I love the idea of the rarities/b-sides/collabs album too. :-D

Anyway, as Melaszka said, anything he decide to do will be just perfect for me as long as he keeps on making great music. :-)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:59 am

I would love him to do a long work - 90 minutes+ that incorporates past things in a new vein, present things and new stuff, AS A SOUNDTRACK TO A DVD IN THE STYLE OF HIS RECENT PHOTOGRAPHS. I got this idea from watching the Sigur Ros dvd 'Heima'.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Waves on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah, okay, but first I would like to hire this great Santa on top of this page to sing me a nice Christmas Song. :smt111
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:13 pm

I would love for David to come out with a Christmas CD :D. Can you imagine him singing Let It Snow or Little Drummer Boy or any other Christmas songs. *sigh*
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:I would love for David to come out with a Christmas CD :D. Can you imagine him singing Let It Snow or Little Drummer Boy or any other Christmas songs. *sigh*

ok now that would be a lovely way to spend the holidays. What a fantasy.... shame really because I think he could lend a new take on these tunes. Oh well...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:I would love for David to come out with a Christmas CD :D. Can you imagine him singing Let It Snow or Little Drummer Boy or any other Christmas songs. *sigh*

Wow. Don't you think that would be overwhelmingly depressing, on so many levels?
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:11 am

>>>Don't you think that would be overwhelmingly depressing, on so many levels?<<<

Indeed. I sometimes become so baffled how certain fans would actually want to see such a challenging artist become nearly mainstream. Everyone's tastes are obviously different and valid to a certain degree, but when I read a suggestion such as this or the suggestion that the fan would like to hear Sylvian do covers of golden standards, I can only wonder if we are all listening to the same musical artist.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work