What should David do next ?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

What should David do next ?

Postby Stoobie on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Okay ! i know some of you are still heading into Europe to see David on his Tour, but for me Glasgow is starting to fade :( and in order to get through the days i'm trying to submerge the mind into thinking what "our" Hero's next musical adventure may be !

Personnaly i would love to see a full "new"album collaboration with Sakamoto ! then a Tour ! (Not likely) Yeah okay i'm dreaming, but could you imagine an album full of great Sylvian moments similar to Ride, Blue of Noon, Bamboo Houses, World Citizens, Forbidden colurs, landmine etc...

Go on just imagine it, Ryuichi playing those fantastic piano pieces with Davids voice over the top ...........................

"I'll go walking in circles..........."

Still sends a chill though these bones :D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:02 pm

well, he has already stated he will work on a new album after the tour so that is all good. and me being a bit obsessed with his voice, i will be satisfied as long as it isn't all instrumental.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:12 pm

yes i'm obsessed with his voice as well.... lets hear him do something that pushes the envelope in that area. :-) that'd be nice :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Kind of a perfect dream question, eh?

What I'd like to hear from David would include:
- more collaborations with Sakamoto; Ryuichi seems to have a great understanding of and sensitivity for David's music.
- a spoken word piece like he did not that long ago with Punkt. I'd love to hear him recite A Diner Called Heaven, or any other of his poems, against a background of his own music.
- as much as I love his voice, I'd like to hear something where his voice is treated in different ways (distorted or whatever) that would emphasize the emotion in the lyrics. Might sound kind of cool.
- something experimental that would incorporate samples of music by other people or random lines/words from his older material - do a reconstruction of sorts within a new song.
- and dreaming on, a vocal duet with Steve would be lovely.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 am

well, he has already stated he will work on a new album after the tour so that is all good. and me being a bit obsessed with his voice, i will be satisfied as long as it isn't all instrumental.

You are not alone there! Obsession is probably the only word for it!!

Bring back the Golden Larynx!!!

Actually, I would love to see a DVD release, instead of CD release. Something along the lines of a "visual soundscape", - with vocals of course!
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 am

Well the obvious answer is tour the States, but that aside, continue developing his style, and re-visit (this seems a bit bizzare considering I used the words continue developing) the "Wasn't I Joe?" style that he picked up after Blemish.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:42 am

In three days I'll see him in Turin :-D, so it's not easy to concentrate on life after that!
David did say that "this tour is in part a means of putting earlier chapters of my working life behind me. Of embracing the work that was done and, with a sense of finality, cutting the ties that bind me to it as a body, an entity", so I suppose that his recent 'poppier' side should be abandoned; 'Blemish' was certainly just a painful (for him) one-time experiment... I have absolutely no idea what can be expected...
What if he came up with some tough rock songs, screaming like he did in the first Japan albums? :lol:
But there's this idea I got rewatching the 'Bamboo Houses' video that tickles me: a DVD of new songs with David and fellow musicians acting as automatons!!!!!
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:30 pm

I'll play it safe and predict that minimalism will once again play a large part in Sylvian's future output. Not that it would be my preferred direction for Sylvian to follow but I believe the greatest hint lies in 'Sleepwalkers' from the Samadhi Sound sampler. This song is a collaboration with percussionist Martin Brandlmayr, who happens to be a member of a group from Vienna named Polwechsel (also past collaborators with Fennesz) and it had previously been rumored a few years back that at least one other member (bassist Werner Daffeldecker) of this experimental chamber group has worked on more tracks with Sylvian.
Last edited by baht habit on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:59 am

I don't know. What else does he have to prove to anyone?

I would have liked to have seen him on tour. Whether or not it was just out of his power or whether he just didn't want to go out of his way to make it here, the truth lies somewhere in between. I feel like I am beating a dead horse, but I don't think it would have been a stretch to make it to the US.

How disappointing to his fans now that he is probably not going to do a tour ever again.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:52 pm

heheheehhehee.....

Don't tempt me to answer this question---- :twisted:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am

oh krausy.... you dirty dirty bird!!!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Id like to see another Nine Horses album and possibly a Sylvian/Sakamoto album then a tour.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:16 am

Japanfan ~ exactly what we need i think ! Hopefully one day we will be able to Live the dream ! A joint Sylvian/Sakamoto Tour is my ideal, David has always worked wonders with Sakmototo's perfect sounds :D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

what next

Postby triskadekaphobia on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:08 pm

I guess David will now, as saidcarry on with his own new work - sidetracked, which can always happen - I guess by 9 Horses.
Some kind of follow on from Blemish which I find so exciting. He was working with the amazing Keith Rowe and an American tuba player the last years - forget the name - (ala fennesz) the last years. This kind of challenging work

As regards tours - work it out guys - He's 49, with 2 teenage daughters, a new album in the next 2 yrs - is he gonna tour with 7 or 8 new songs 3 years from now ?
Anything's possible, but certainly not round (half) the world, yet I can't see it happening from this perspective.

At Amsterdam yesterday he did mention 'debut' album from 9 Horses, so options open there.

Looking forward to a couple more albums before he disappears into the arms of Amma and obscurity. After 30 yrs of his work and countless shows that span a lifetime, I'll always be grateful.
triskadekaphobia
Regular
Regular

Re: what next

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 pm

triskadekaphobia wrote:I guess David will now, as saidcarry on with his own new work - sidetracked, which can always happen - I guess by 9 Horses.
Some kind of follow on from Blemish which I find so exciting. He was working with the amazing Keith Rowe and an American tuba player the last years - forget the name - (ala fennesz) the last years. This kind of challenging work

As regards tours - work it out guys - He's 49, with 2 teenage daughters, a new album in the next 2 yrs - is he gonna tour with 7 or 8 new songs 3 years from now ?
Anything's possible, but certainly not round (half) the world, yet I can't see it happening from this perspective.

At Amsterdam yesterday he did mention 'debut' album from 9 Horses, so options open there.

Looking forward to a couple more albums before he disappears into the arms of Amma and obscurity. After 30 yrs of his work and countless shows that span a lifetime, I'll always be grateful.

um his daughters aren't quite teenagers since one was born in i believe 94 and the baby was born in 96. David and Ingrid were married in 92.... so anyway....

Wow to think of this all going on after 30 years in the business... it really is quite something. I think he will continue making music his entire life and I'll be happy with whatever he puts forth.... :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work