Blemish vs The Good Son etc

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Which album do you prefer

Blemish
67%
The Good Son vs The Only Daughter
33%

Total votes : 12

Blemish vs The Good Son etc

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:48 pm

After listening to The Good Son vs The Only Daughter, I wondered what everyones thoughts were regarding these remixes compared to the songs in their original form as on Blemish.

Personally, though I didn't find Blemish very appealing initially, the album certainly grew on me, certain tracks grew very quickly while others took an awful lot longer.
I guess I probably purchased The Good Son vs The Only Daughter around about this time.
Strangely, like Blemish, I again didn't find the songs in this format very appealing, but for very different reasons.
At times I find some of the sound effects used very distracting and adding very little if anything to the feel of the song.
But worse then this, the songs that I had found appealing on Blemish sounded terrible in their new format.
I am talking about songs like A Fire In The Forest and The Heart Knows Better.
This got me thinking to what everyone else though.
It might also be interesting to know which version you heard first.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:21 pm

I voted for GSVOD, because if I'm honest, that's the one I listen to more, although I think there are strengths and weaknesses to both. I also feel that I ought to like Blemish more - that GSVOD is slightly Blemish-lite, and that I ought to work harder at listening to Blemish, because it probably has more artistic integrity.

I love the GSVOD versions of A Fire In The Forest and the Heart Knows Better, though. I loved them on Blemish, but I love them even more on GSVOD.

For me, the distracting sound effects on AFITF, getting in the way of the song, are highly metaphorical of the distracting negative thoughts that, according to the lyrics, David can't get out of his head, and for me they add immensely.

I heard Blemish first, btw.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I would buy in to that more if those said sound effects had been placed by the person feeling that particular emotion, i.e Sylvian.
To me it doesn't help convey that, but it's all subjective at the end of the day.
I find the Bailey tracks more interesting on The Good Son vs The Only Daughter, but I can't say I still prefer them to the Blemish versions.
While the beauty of AFITF seems lost in the remix, to me anyway.
I am going to listen to it right now to confirm this!
I also find the sounds on this some what 'cheap' sounding!
As I listen to it while I type.
The twinkling sounds that is.
Plus that rustling sound is annoying.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Burnsjed wrote:Plus that rustling sound is annoying.

I'm assuming that it's supposed to be a fire in the forest, but it does sound suspiciously like sweet papers!

I must admit that my main reason for preferring GSVOD Heart Knows Better is because they cut that deeply naff line about visas.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Is that what it is supposed to be!
To be honest, I hadn't even thought of it like that, it does like someone went through the rubbish and found some sweet wrappers!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 am

i can't vote because i don't own the remix album yet... i know bad david fan.... lol
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:23 am

I wouldn't worry, I didn't get it either untill a few months ago
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:34 pm

I was very tired when I posted before - I've just realised the naff line about visas is in Blemish, not the Heart Knows Better, and I'm an idiot.

I think the Heart Knows Better is a more upbeat, optimistic song than most on Blemish and thus benefits from the softer, more rhythmic, less bleak presentation on GSVOD. (I'd say the same only more so about How Little We Need...)

I love all three versions of Blemish in very different ways.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:22 pm

I also listen to TGS much more than Blemish. I am a great Blemish defender, it is an amazing document. But at the end of the day, it is really a "for fans only" kind of album. Unless you are already predisposed to music that makes you want to slit your wrists.

I have given people who are not Sylvian fans stuff from the remix album. I really love Heart Knows Better, and FITF. The only thing I don't always love about remix albums is the repetition of songs. I can't quite grasp Ikeda's TOD.

If he is doing anything from Blemish on this tour, I hope that it might be reworked in the vein of the remix album. Or he can do Wasn't I Joe? exactly the same, and I will be happy.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Blemish, without a doubt.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Solo Work