questions for david

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

questions for david

Postby camphorvan on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:06 pm

Q: Whats the situation with Samadhisound studio now? Is it still housed in the property divided between yourself and your wife? Do you intend to keep it going? Whatever happened to Dave Kent, the sound engineer from the Dead Bees days?

Q: What's your living situation now?

Q: If there are to be any further nine horses releases, will you continue with the working methodology employed on Snow Borne Sorrow or will you record together?

Q: During the Rain Tree Crow sessions, you dedicated yourself to learning guitar skills; what are your three main guitars?

Q: Has the breakup of your marriage, coupled with the nature of being a musician, (sometimes transient), affeted your relationship with your children and the frequency of your time together?

Q: Nine Horses has been quoted in the press as being your best ever album, yet there was no tour. Why?

Q: Do you miss the camaraderie of being in a band?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 am

Interesting questions... although I think (IMHO) that if asked they would probably not be answered. Especially the ones relating to his now defunct marriage.

I don't know really what I would ask him?? Maybe something along the lines of "would you like me to lick either full cream or soy cream off you??" (Dirty girl I know, - heck I might even get that famous eyebrow to move!!)

Probably wouldn't ask questions, but just something like " I know from the little I have gathered, that you have gone through some rough stages in your life. Stages that can be documented in part by the level of musical output and the image produced from the music. I would like to say thank you for making that music available, it has meant a lot of me to know that others go through the same types of pain, yet still come through to the other side"
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:17 pm

Apologies - this was meant to to be in the 'what would you ask him' thread, but I pushed the wrong button. Yes, that was particularly dirty, but I'm sure it'd make him laugh!
I think the above questions aren't quite so radical - I get the sense that he is a little bit more open nowadays. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe I should keep moving on....I suppose....still, I'll see it through,....oops sorry, just broke into song.

Maybe we should shout questions from the audience. I could shout out my questions and you could shout out 'show us yer pants...twice'.

Toodle pip

C x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:54 pm

camphorvan wrote:...and you could shout out 'show us yer pants...twice'.

Which he might hesitate to do if he's going commando, although he doesn't seem the free-and-flapping type. But then again, you know what they say about the shy and quiet ones... ;-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:04 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
camphorvan wrote:...and you could shout out 'show us yer pants...twice'.

Which he might hesitate to do if he's going commando, although he doesn't seem the free-and-flapping type. But then again, you know what they say about the shy and quiet ones... ;-)

Yeah---I think he is a freak boy!!!!! :lol: :twisted:

I think some of the questions above are funny as heck, but I think you would get some kind of answer from him and possibly that sink-to-your-knees smile that he has in there somewhere and rarely shows us anymore......

I guess my question would be something like if he would ever do any more work with Fripp, and also like the song "when I'm 64", where does he see himself, or imagine himself, or what he will be doing when he reaches that age......
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:30 am

krausy said
and also like the song "when I'm 64", where does he see himself, or imagine himself, or what he will be doing when he reaches that age......

Ok now this is just freaky. I was going to ask that same question but changed my mind at the last minute. We have GOT to stop sharing a brain, sis!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:52 am

I don't know you know; I think he would give an answer. He's answered probing questions in recent times. And I'd LOVE to know if he's going to work with Fripp again. Damage is one of the best albums Laughing Dave ever did, in my opinion. Nothing like some good, hard, honest rock. Makes the gentler moments stand out if nothing else.
A thought I just had. Most people grow out of having a soft spot or obessesion for their teenage heroes, whereas the majority of people on this forum, arguably, are still in that mode. I just thought how lucky it is that we can all still get excited about the work our man does. If the secret of a fulfilling life, (where you're not knocked down by life's more bleaker experiences) is keeping that part of childhood excitment/fascination alive (as the author Iain Banks once suggested), then at least we are partly succesful in doing that. The paradox is that often the work ol' Happy Dave produces is of an extremely introspective and sometimes dark nature. Thus, the adage that tears attract and laughter repels comes into play, in the long-term. I think that people who've liked DS's work since the early days are still attracted to his work because it's very 'human'; he speaks of experiences that a lot of us have been through. Who hasn't been through a very painful relationship split, for example? Who in our age group hasn't felt the emotions that are all over Blemish? The difference between us and 'them' is that 'them' would prefer to forget; to escape. In a sense, I think that people who like Sylvian are more open to their own experiences.

The above, of course, could be all utter nonsense, which it probably is. But it sounded good at the time....

Oh and Krausy..Harley's suit you!

C x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks C----wish I could handle that beast rather than just adorning it!!!That beast belongs to my coworker. He actually had it in the shop a little while after that picture was taken---an unfortunate meeting with a manhole cover--but all is well now.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby thricegreat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Have given said editor a good run down of questions - he was very impressed - now angling to do the interview myself which is a very distinct possibility...not impossible but probably not - we'll see...either way will get some sort of feedback...fingers crossed - will try not to dry hump Sylvian's leg in process etc etc
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Postby thricegreat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:22 pm

my questions by the way are very centred on David's narcolepsy - I am fascinated as I know someone who suffers from this and her life is HELL - I'm fascinated as he's obviously found some sort of creative outlet for it (My Orpheus Sings etc etc ) but having said that, it's not a condition you would wish on your worst enemy...how has he managed it or not? Also, his drive to be constantly public/honest about himself whilst needing privacy/seculsion...what is that conflict about? It's a very perplexing thing - I can sort of understand it but there must be some inner need to commit himself to public scrutiny...
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Postby thricegreat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:24 pm

I wrote 'HELL' not 'jersey'....who is editing this????
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Postby thricegreat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:25 pm

excuse me - H E L L - NOT 'Jersey'
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Postby thricegreat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm

every time I wrote H E L L it came up as 'jersey' - what's that about? Can't the word H E L L exist without censor?
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:31 pm

thricegreat wrote:every time I wrote H E L L it came up as 'jersey' - what's that about? Can't the word H E L L exist without censor?

Yeah, I guess we haven't talked about that recently. The moderators of the site decided a while back to replace foul or offensive words into less offensive words. The main reason is for any too young lurkers or visitors to this site, since a large portion of it remains public. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you type one of those words, it will be automatically replaced.

We know most of us don't mind the words, it is just the readers we don't know about that might be offended.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby thricegreat on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:42 am

I can understand out and out swearing and general cussing words being automatically substituted but don't you think substituting words (as above) is going just a little bit too far? Who are you catering for - fundamentalist evangelist Christians????? Come on....most of us here are adults.
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work