Do I have a mis-printed CD?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do I have a mis-printed CD?

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:59 pm

I have the original CD that was first released of "Secrets of the Beehive" And the last song on there is "Forbidden Colors" But on the CD it was called "Promise: In the cult of Eurydice" I always thought it was re-named, or that it was the title to the short piano intro. Though, when I purchased the remastered versions of the CD's I switched it to "Promise..." expecting to hear "Forbidden Colors" When another song (Which I had never heard before) Started playing! And I did a little research come to find that the song on the remastered CD really is "Promise..."! I just wanted to ask if anyone else had the original CD, and had "Forbidden Colors" instead of "Promise...", or if I just have a rare, messed-up CD!

Thanks

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Fri May 19, 2006 8:05 pm

Mine says Forbidden Colours too. Exactly as you describe.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Sorry, I didn't clarify- I meant that it came up as "Promise..." On itunes, It's printed "Forbidden Colours" But it always showed up differently on my computer... I wonder why it does that?

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 19, 2006 10:45 pm

Promise (The cult Of Eurydice) originally appeared as the bonus track on the Japanese edition of the original issue of Secrets of the Beehive. The version of Forbidden Colours appeared on the Standard issue.

iTunes is for some reason picking up your disc as the Japanese one - odd because the Japanese one would send different information.

Does that make sense/clear it up?
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 11:55 pm

it makes sense to me... i have a duran cd that is the original first lp that included to the shore, but when i put it into iTunes it leaves that song off and adds in Is there Something I should know. However, when it plays it plays To the shore. Weird what iTunes comes up with.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat May 20, 2006 10:17 am

godisinthesilences wrote:it makes sense to me... i have a duran cd that is the original first lp that included to the shore, but when i put it into iTunes it leaves that song off and adds in Is there Something I should know. However, when it plays it plays To the shore. Weird what iTunes comes up with.

Hey I never noticed that before. I don't usually play CD's in iTunes on the computer. But you're right, it does it to mine as well. Also it switches the track order around, so it goes:
(iTunes)
Careless Memories
Is there...

(CD)
To the Shore
Careless Memories

Although it plays the CD tracks properly. Odd that. Anyway, thanks I haven't listened to this is a while, Still Loving it.

What you doing, friends of mine....
Holding back now, friends of mine....
I've always heard you calling.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat May 20, 2006 7:31 pm

That again is because they crow-barred "Is there something I should know" into the middle of one of the editions of the CD of the first album - God alone knows why - it wasn't even from the same era.

when you use a CD in your PC via iTunes or Windows Media Player etc it detects information identifying the album and 'fetches' the song titles and artwork from external servers - if the info isn't quite right on the servers (very common for re-issues and regional variations as well as rarer releases) it displays wrong on your monitor.

Record companies eh? Tsk

Need info on useless garbage? Just ask - very cheap consultancy hehehe :lol:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 12:07 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:Promise (The cult Of Eurydice) originally appeared as the bonus track on the Japanese edition of the original issue of Secrets of the Beehive. The version of Forbidden Colours appeared on the Standard issue.

Actually, the original 1987 Japanese edition of Secrets of the Beehive also had "Forbidden colours" as the extra track. I was living in Tokyo at the time, and I went through two copies of this edition - both of which I had to return as defective, because of a digital skip in "September". I ended up getting the UK edition, which turned otu to be one of those Nimbus-pressed discs that got all sticky on the label side after a few years. (I now have the US pressing of that edition.)

When Virgin Japan reissued the Japan/Sylvian catalog in 1991, they replaced "Forbidden colours" with "Promise".

I've just rooted around iTunes a bit, and it appears that the editions of Gone To Earth (with "Taking the veil" mis-typed as "Taking the Evil") and Secrets of the Beehive available for download are the original CD releases - i.e., the single-disc, 13-track edition of Gone to Earth, and Secrets of the Beehive with "Forbidden colours" as the extra track. Odd, since the Virgin remasters are all available in the US...

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 12:18 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:That again is because they crow-barred "Is there something I should know" into the middle of one of the editions of the CD of the first album - God alone knows why - it wasn't even from the same era.

when you use a CD in your PC via iTunes or Windows Media Player etc it detects information identifying the album and 'fetches' the song titles and artwork from external servers - if the info isn't quite right on the servers (very common for re-issues and regional variations as well as rarer releases) it displays wrong on your monitor.

It was added to the LP because it wasn't very well known at the time (Rio being the breakout hit - at least, in the US), "Is there something I should know" was a huge single, and there was also the Duran Duran video album to promote. The cover art was also changed to match that of the video album. (Of course, Capitol didn't bother to change the catalog no., which created a huge uproar from retailers. But they did revert to the original cover art later on.)

As for iTunes, unfortunately, it gets its information from the CDDB database. The problem with the CDDB database is that a lot of the information comes from punters at home playing CDs in their computers. They submit the track listings for the discs they are playing; that information then becomes part of the database. That also means that various people's errors and judgments as to genre and whatnot also become part of the database.

I used to work for a company that provided those 30-second clips you hear when you're online and want to know what something sounds like. I actually had to talk them out of relying on CDDB because so much of the data would have to be corrected anyway. Oddly enough, they listened to me...

Fortunately, iTunes still allows you the option to submit CDDB track information, so if you do find errors, you do have the chance to send them the correct information.

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon May 29, 2006 9:00 pm

My copy of Duran's debut came up with ITSISK on CDDB, too. That song breaks the consistency of the album completely, ugh...

Yeah, the CDDB is hardly reliable. It often makes simple but odd errors on a lot of my CDs, like on the The Singles 86>98 by Depeche Mode, "A Question of Time" comes up as "A Question Time", which in a lot of cases makes it a completely different song...
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 11:01 pm

OK so now i have a question.... Is it worth trying to get a copy of the japanese version for the song Promise... or is this version of the song on another cd release of sylvian's??
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed May 31, 2006 2:44 pm

Save your money. It's on the standard remaster.

Sonic

Actually, the original 1987 Japanese edition of Secrets of the Beehive also had "Forbidden colours" as the extra track. I was living in Tokyo at the time, and I went through two copies of this edition When Virgin Japan reissued the Japan/Sylvian catalog in 1991, they replaced "Forbidden colours" with "Promise".

Didn't know that - seems pretty odd. Mine makes no mention of 1991.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work