Tiny bit of news

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Tiny bit of news

Postby Simonp on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:12 pm

At the end of last year Rupert recorded & mixed the ‘Sleep’ album for Max Richter and has been recently recording with David Sylvian for his forthcoming project.

http://www.air-management.co.uk/roster/rupert-coulson/
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Tiny bit of news

Postby ob8 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:48 am

Thanks Simon for posting that, was beginning to think this was another wind up as no one is posting about this.

I am taking this news quiet positively and hoping that David may be using Air to record something more traditionally song based rather than the recent improv stuff. Even though I do like some of it. I think it would be great if he takes us in another direction as for me it's kind of come to a dead end with the recent material after Schoolhouse which for me is positively uninspiring,
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:32 pm

...and even if not traditionally song-based, at least something musical!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 am

Old news I'm afraid :( ... swebla posted this back in September in the New recording information... thread.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:Old news I'm afraid :( ... swebla posted this back in September in the New recording information... thread.

I had read it back then Foales but the lack of reaction to what I perceived to be big news did make me wonder if anything would come of it. Now seeing that the producer listing it as forthcoming I am getting excited that we should be getting some new material at some point. If it's on a major I can't see them signing David up for another album or Ep of Pissing Round in The Schoolhouse :-D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:01 am

ob8 wrote:I had read it back then Foales but the lack of reaction to what I perceived to be big news did make me wonder if anything would come of it. Now seeing that the producer listing it as forthcoming I am getting excited that we should be getting some new material at some point. If it's on a major I can't see them signing David up for another album or Ep of Pissing Round in The Schoolhouse :-D

Until there is some sort of official announcement I think most (well, the few :( ) here will keep any excitement under their hats... Yes, DS may be working on something, but it could take years of gestation, and may even be abandoned... who knows?... The little bits of 'news' we have had, have not been something to get worked-up enough for serious reaction.

I've seen mention on here of him signing to a major, but this seems unlikely to me after his output over the past decade or more... I just can't see him as 'major' material anymore. That's not to say a label won't take him on, but it's far more likely to be a smaller indie that fits with his artistic perceptive.

I hope we hear something soon, and I hope it will be a vocal based work... I ain't holding my breath though.
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 am

Well - we never heard the Joan Wasser collab which was, at least partially, recorded. That's very odd to me. There must be so much more that's sitting on shelves in various places. Unfortunate.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 am

lukasgardiner wrote:Well - we never heard the Joan Wasser collab which was, at least partially, recorded. That's very odd to me. There must be so much more that's sitting on shelves in various places. Unfortunate.

Indeed, there must be lots of unreleased material, and that's what I was talking about above... there is no guarantee what has been recorded recently will ever see the light. The talk of him signing to a label does give some hope however, as it shows a clear intent to release.... but, he has to be happy with it first [and assuming that info is true]

Perhaps swebla could elaborate if he/she really knows something :wink:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I wonder who is fitting the cost of the recording at Air. No point paying out all that money for the recordings to never see the light of day.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:43 pm

ob8 wrote:I wonder who is fitting the cost of the recording at Air. No point paying out all that money for the recordings to never see the light of day.

Well, lets hope these sessions will be released... As to who is funding it? we'll never know, but in the current climate, and with DS's standing in commercial (not artistic) terms I'd take a bet he is funding the recording. The fact is recording sessions often go unreleased... they may end up used in part, or re-worked, or even totally re-recorded, but there is no guarantee a stint in the studio equals a release to the public... regardless of cost.

Lets be positive in this case, and hope the project has been a success, and DS is happy with the result (as is the label) and we get to hear it..... soon :D

Come on David, it's Christmas soon.... how about a gift for your followers? :-D
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swebla on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:23 am

swebla
Regular
Regular

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:03 am

swebla wrote:DS booking agency.

I'm going to see if I can book him for my childs birthday party... he can perform Manafon dressed as a clown :lol:

Where did you get the major label thing from though?
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swebla on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 pm

From a friend
swebla
Regular
Regular

Postby ob8 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:07 pm

[quote="Foales Arishes"

Come on David, it's Christmas soon.... how about a gift for your followers? :-D[/quote]

I have heard sorry dreamt that David is to follow in the footsteps of The Future Sound Of London and release a 2017 calendar with 12 new tracks delivered one a month as a digital download starting with a 2017 version of Wasn't I Joe.

:shock:

:shock:

:o
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:Come on David, it's Christmas soon.... how about a gift for your followers? :-D

Well, he's already put the season's greetings on his site! :smt114 :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work