New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Does it sound something like this: http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/catalog/014.html

If so, I might very well like it because I really love this album.

Its not far off, so you may well be a happy bunny :smt004

ob8... hey, just trying to keep the mood light, in the face of crushing disapointment :lol:

raindrop123 I'm glad I'm not alone on this one... yeah, spring cleaning... that's what he was doing, and he just happened to leave his iPhone on record at the time :smt005 ... are we the only two here to get it, so far?... or is everyone one else listening on repeat, and can drag themselves away to post?

Seriously though.. I hope you guys get like it. I've played it three more times today, and for some strange reason I feel compelled to play again... in fact I'm just about to rip the disk and put on my MP3 player to listen to as I fall asleep.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:04 am

I have not yet received mine. I was assured by Mark that I had made the cut, so I am awaiting anxiously...
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:44 am

I received mine yesterday.

My mother told me if I had nothing good to say then stay quiet :-D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:30 pm

ob8 wrote:I received mine yesterday.

My mother told me if I had nothing good to say then stay quiet :-D

Ah come on... man up ob8... we promise not to tell mummy if you say bad things :twisted:

This forum desperately needs some input, good or bad (maybe we should ask Chad back, as his stirring at least made people post) This may be the last track we ever hear from DS, or a least for a very long time... so come on, spill the beans.

You know, I'm trying to understand this track, and what drives an artist like DS to make such a work... like painting (I'm an artist myself by trade) I've sometimes thought people only do some of this 'way out' avant-garde stuff as they can't produce anything with genuine craft and lack true talent, but over the years I've come around from this way of thinking, and care less for craft and care more about someone following their own path [whether they can draw, or play a note has less importance]... We all know DS has the ability to craft a fine song, or piece of music, so what now drives him to produce a piece that seems, on the surface, to be a very random collection of sounds?... It ain't for the money, so the drive is something true to him.

Having said that, and having listened to this more times than I thought I would, I'm now hearing a kind of structure, and find it somewhat interesting... On headphones it really opens up, and some atmosphere emerges... So although I won't be playing this over Manafon, or any other work of his, I do think it has some worth in DS cannon... I still want to hear his voice again, and maybe something with - you know? - a tune, but I'll take this rather than nothing.

Why the **** am I doing all the writing around here? :lol:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Maybe you are doing all the writing as most people have not received their copy yet.

I have only listened to it once. I will probably give it a couple of more listens at some point in the future. But I am not really in the mood to listen to David doing the housework at the moment :D
So I don't feel qualified to really say much as I don't really think you can really comment on a piece of music (especially work like this) after just one listen.

Having said that I am disappointed that we are getting more of these abstract pieces and not anything with Davids voice on. Manafon was a good mix for me. Not all the tracks worked but it was an interesting experience discovering those pieces.

The glue that held the pieces together for me was his voice. Without that they would have been anonymous."Theres a light" was only vaguely successful for me because of Franz Wright. The music could have been made by almost anyone.

I love "Uncommon Deities". The words are mesmerising and Davids delivery is beautiful. Davids stamp is on that record and on some many others.

On first impression I don't hear that stamp at all.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:59 pm

ob8 wrote:Having said that I am disappointed that we are getting more of these abstract pieces and not anything with Davids voice on. Manafon was a good mix for me. Not all the tracks worked but it was an interesting experience discovering those pieces.

I agree with pretty much everything you say ob8... esp. this line. Except for me Manafon is his masterpiece, and everything before and after is kind of lacking in some shape or form.

What you say about 'his stamp' resonates too... everything up to this has some connecting fibre, which I found lacking here... but after repeat listening something of him is coming through I think. It's more akin to his photography, with seemly random objects becoming the focus of attention, rather than something broader.

I got my copy Tuesday, so would have thought a few other here would now have theirs... overseas an exception. Maybe having a surname beginning with A helped :)
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Well, in Switzerland nothing has arrived yet! But then - I suspect the Swiss customs have seized it, are listening to it and are trying to figure out what it really is!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:22 am

I see the e-bay greedy mob at it again Sylvians new release sitting at over £120 wtf :(
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 am

dconnery1966 wrote:I see the e-bay greedy mob at it again Sylvians new release sitting at over £120 wtf :(

How sad, they must have bought it just to scalp on Ebay, the w**kers :evil:

You'd also have to be sad to pay (bids currently @ £37) when by contacting the label, you will likely get it for £8... I don't see one for £120 now... did someone really pay that?
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 am

There is a one up at £125 on a Buy It Now.

P***es me right off. Genuine fans have missed out because of these people. Confront should look at who they shipped to in Thorton Cleveleys and don'y send anything else there if they release anything again.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:40 am

As lame as it is, the person went through the trouble of purchasing the release and posting it on eBay. If they can get someone to pay extravagant money for it, who are we to judge? I do think that is the reason for limiting the number of copies one person can buy though. It would be quite lame if someone bought 100 copies (of a 300 copy release) and just hawked them on eBay for the next five years.
With no guarantee of a second release and given how quickly it sold out, I could see people spending cash on it. Also, to be fair to the seller, given the description of it's sound, it could very well be that the person is selling it because he/she did not like it.
If you had a copy you wanted to get rid off, how much would you sell it for right now? Surely more than what you paid for it given the demand.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:04 am

Yip agree Tin Bird very lame indeed to be honest, but seems to happen with e-bay all the time, especially

when limited editions sell on e-bay for stupid prices really pisses me off to be honest, do these people listen to them I

I doubt it very much to be honest, I have complained to e-bay several times over this sort of thing to no avail, you know

money of course they get there cut also :(

Dougie :smt006
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:01 am

Not trying to be argumentative here at all...if one missed the release and had to pay big bucks for it on eBay, I could see the frustration....That said, Ebay, like Confront, and like music artists, is/are a business, and businesses have to make money to continue to provide their services. Complaining to eBay about someone selling a cd on their site seems a bit redundant to me. The free market should determine how this plays out, not individuals demanding "fairness" because they didn't get their copy or they are mad that someone else is doing something that they don't like. I think there will be buyers of this release no matter the price because of the demand. Some might be grateful to be given the opportunity to purchase it even after it is sold out and be willing to pay the price for it.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:24 am

Sorry Tin Bird but you answered you're own question there, but I agree to disagree end of,if you want to carry on

with this then u can send me a friendly PM no hard feelings though :wink:

Dougie :smt006
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:29 am

Tin Bird wrote:Some might be grateful to be given the opportunity to purchase it even after it is sold out and be willing to pay the price for it.

But that might not be the case if some were not buying it just to sell on for a profit (like the buying of concert and festival tickets for the same purpose)... those that genuinely wanted it might have managed to get a copy at the retail price, in the first place. Yes, maybe some bought it and did not like it, and are happy to pass it on, but I somehow doubt that is the case here.

I got my copy so I'm not judging others out of personal bitterness, but out of sympathy... although they should do a little more research and find they can almost certainly get one of the second pressings for the original price.

I also have a feeling Confront and DS would feel cheesed off having their fans screwed for a profit, esp. when this release can hardly be making any money for those concerned... eight pounds, minus the disk, packaging, postcard and postage can't leave much when split between the label and David... that's not even considering the time put in by both parties.

Right now I'm off to Ebay to sell my copy :twisted:

Not really :P
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work