New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby ob8 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Halloway wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:No sign of new cd over on east coast of US... :(

I live in England and I haven't received mine yet either.

Count your lucky stars :-D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ccfc1927 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:19 pm

ob8 wrote:
Halloway wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:No sign of new cd over on east coast of US... :(

I live in England and I haven't received mine yet either.

Count your lucky stars :-D

:lol:

Personally I'm glad that some people are getting something out of this release, really don't understand what but that's my problem, no one else's.
Its just not for me, I didn't expect a vocal piece but I did expect something musical. Its pretty much the least I expect from a musician.
ccfc1927
Noob
Noob

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 am

Ordered my copy of the 2nd edition today.
Not expecting much after some of the comments, but happy to support and hopefully be surprised!
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Burnsjed wrote:Ordered my copy of the 2nd edition today.
Not expecting much after some of the comments, but happy to support and hopefully be surprised!

Same here, although I guess that I know I love some natural ambient sounds from time to time (and love special editions).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby shoop on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:50 am

CD arrived here in mid-Pennsylvania yesterday for what it's worth.
It does remind me of Mothlight! I forgot about that one.
I dunno, it's pleasant... will definitely listen again whenever I need to unclutter my head.
Right now I'm just waiting on Amazon to ship the dang book...
you know me- i'll do what i want.
shoop
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:02 am

I'm surprised that the overall sound of the piece is quite voluminous and as dense at it is. I suppose I had expected the result of the improvisation to include less sounds throughout the track's duration - but they've definitely filled up the 15 minutes, haven't they?
One negative point from initial listen: I've found the manner in which the artists had chosen to cut-and-splice the samples of classical music to be a bit intrusive -- Yet the 10min 30sec mark of the piece contains a section that I especially find appealing, so I've essentially contradicted myself already.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:07 am

So my copy just arrived. First listen going on right now.... what to say...I would agree that the piece is much busier than I would have anticipated based on early reviews...and while I think there could have been an interesting track in here somewhere with the mixture of concrete sounds w electronic samples, it appears to me on first listen to have missed the mark a bit. For my tastes, too many jump cuts and total random flipping through channels sounds... I'm not a huge fan of the execution I guess.
It actually reminds me of early Hafler Trio stuff like Bang an Open Letter or Sea Org a bit which isn't too bad... or perhaps some of the early musique concrète artists such as Pierre Schaeffer, John Cage, Stockhausen, or Francois Bayle (among others).
Anyhoo... not a lot to examine here and overall a bit of a disappointment. I'm cool w this being a one off, but if David's sole output became album after album of this, I would actually finally have to jump ship.
I thought Do You Know Me Now? was a terrific track and I'm hopeful that some pieces in that vein or such will be in the pipeline at some point in the future.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:35 pm

Tin Bird wrote:So my copy just arrived. First listen going on right now.... what to say...I would agree that the piece is much busier than I would have anticipated based on early reviews...and while I think there could have been an interesting track in here somewhere with the mixture of concrete sounds w electronic samples, it appears to me on first listen to have missed the mark a bit. For my tastes, too many jump cuts and total random flipping through channels sounds... I'm not a huge fan of the execution I guess.

Well put. Obviously I have to agree in regards to the "cuts" and "flipping". Such elements would seem to detract from the apparent aim of this particular experiment.

Tin Bird wrote:I thought Do You Know Me Now? was a terrific track and I'm hopeful that some pieces in that vein or such will be in the pipeline at some point in the future.

Interesting that you should mention that one. Despite the challenging nature of Playing The Schoolhouse, I was still curious to know if that piece would work within the context of any other material that Sylvian had recently released. So I figured I would compile an 'album's worth' of songs. I was at first mainly focused on tracks that included contributions from Bang - seems logical, right? And yet I found that I had quickly expanded on the prerequisite - even going back to gather tracks from nearly a decade ago. And admittedly, I had given short shrift to a majority of these songs at the times of their releases. But now to my ears, they hold together well in an intriguing way - and I found new appreciation while catching aspects that previously passed over my head.
The play list I had eventually settled on :

Before And Afterlife *
Nothing Is Happening Everywhere
Where's Your Gravity? **
Thermal
Do You Know Me Now?
Angels In The Architecture
Playing The Schoolhouse
Modern Interior

* preferably the 2min version found on Visionaire 53
** opted to include the version w/ the "crackle percussion", released with Do You Know Me Now?
Last edited by baht habit on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Interesting idea there...I might try a similar mix to see how some of the tracks fits together. Like you, I preferred the remix of Where's Your Gravity? from the Do You Know Me Now? single. It grabbed me much more than when I first heard it.
It's not all doom and gloom...I'm optimistic that David will find a new path soon enough...we'll be here when he does. ;-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Halloway on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 am

Just browsing eBay... someone has paid £140 for 'Schoolhouse'! Fools, money, etc.
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:11 am

Esp when the second edition is exactly like the first. Man...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby stephen on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:19 am

Yesterday received the second edition,all are great!
stephen
Noob
Noob

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 am

http://paynomindtouswearejustaminorthre ... dings.html

Great interview with Mark Wastell on how PTS came about, the origins of Confront as well as his relationship with Derek Bailey...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 am

svendutchmountains wrote:http://paynomindtouswearejustaminorthreat.blogspot.it/2015/12/wastell-confront-recordings.html

Great interview with Mark Wastell on how PTS came about, the origins of Confront as well as his relationship with Derek Bailey...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven

Thanks Sven. Excellent.
Being aware of the hostility of some listeners towards this piece, I have to grin when I see the acronym "PTS" being used ... :twisted:

It's good to read that Sylvian's project had succeeded in helping Confront to enjoy its best sales. It lead this listener to purchase other recordings like Membrane, the Bailey/Fell collaboration and a couple of releases by Halliwell.

In regards to the piece itself--- at the 7:25 mark, there exists tapping which subsides by the 7:40 mark. The syncopated rhythm is a distinct samba pattern, which I find intriguing every time I hear it. Surrounded by the random nature in which objects are struck and hit, this quick segment of the piece stands out momentarily if only for its recognition of what normally constitutes organized sound.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:58 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:http://paynomindtouswearejustaminorthreat.blogspot.it/2015/12/wastell-confront-recordings.html

Thanks for sharing. A good read and a good listen. :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work