New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 am

Foales Arishes wrote:Despite DS being quite a marginal artist these days I imagine this will be quite a coup for the label.

Indeed. I figure that the interest generated by a David Sylvian release is definitely going to be beneficial - not only financially, but it might also help Confront in regards to name recognition.
It'll be interesting to watch how the promotion of this product will develop. Right now, one has to respect Mr Wastell's apparent integrity for not doing the obvious and over-hyping this release in any manner. At the moment, we can see that it was merely mentioned quite casually amongst the other forthcoming releases from artists on the roster.
And respect should also go to Sylvian for not doing the obvious and putting out his latest product through a well established independent label (such as DGM or Touch) with stronger distribution resources and name recognition. Of course, he very well might have sought out their interest,.... :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:03 am

FB page is alive! https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOf ... fref=photo

now photos and new info:
Scheduled for a mid-September release on Confront Recordings; Playing The Schoolhouse, a new CD EP length composition by David Sylvian recorded in March of this year in Norway. Based on an improvisation by Jan Bang and Sylvian it also features contributions from Otomo Yoshihide and Toshimaru Nakamura. More news to follow soon. www.confrontrecordings.com
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:41 am

hitch wrote:FB page is alive! https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOf ... fref=photo

now photos and new info:
Scheduled for a mid-September release on Confront Recordings; Playing The Schoolhouse, a new CD EP length composition by David Sylvian recorded in March of this year in Norway. Based on an improvisation by Jan Bang and Sylvian it also features contributions from Otomo Yoshihide and Toshimaru Nakamura. More news to follow soon. http://www.confrontrecordings.com

Thanks hitch. Is it correct to assume that nowadays an "EP" is normally a duration of 20 - 30 minutes ?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

I would say 20 to 30 minutes is a good assumption.

I like his co musicians, my appetite is well and truly whet.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks hitch... great info :D

ob8 wrote:I would say 20 to 30 minutes is a good assumption.

I like his co musicians, my appetite is well and truly whet.

Yeah, EP means 20 to 30 minutes max in today’s terminology I would assume... which may be less than we would like, but I am keen to hear anything new... its better than a 3 minute single anyway :P

I too like the co musicians, so have high hopes for the piece, even if a DS vocal is now highly unlikely.

Can't wait for more news :D
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I wouldn't rule out Sylvian never singing again. He's clearly enjoying the challenge of producing instrumental work at the moment and that's no bad thing. I like the sound of this new piece. I love Jan Bang's work, it tends to be more cinematic in scope and less avant garde than some of Sylvian's collaborators so I'm hoping for good things from it
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Angels is one of my all time favourite tracks, please don't laugh !

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that I think we will hear David's voice in one way or another on this project.
When JB is involved it's usually the case. David's voice is unique and I think JB knows that it adds another dimension that no one else/or nothing else can replicate. The majority of David's work has been vocal and for the artist's that are drawn to his work I think do so because of that. Maybe ?

There of course are other factors too. David has always since BT given artistic licence to fellow musicians. Not justing wanting a session player to come but to have someone who connects and contributes something unique to his work. Something that comes from the heart.

Or is my little pea brain is kidding me (again)
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Baht what has happened to your reply to my post ?
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:53 am

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 pm

In an exchange on Twitter Dai Fujikura mentioned that some of his music may feature on David's new release. In response to a comment about the new cd he said "ah is that sounds from school or something like that of David's? Snippets of my music might be creeping in there, apparently."

Presumably this is in Jan Bang's improvised mix, much in the way that Dai's work was used on Jan's excellent 'Narrative from the Subtropics' album, and on 'Uncommon Deities'.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing this. For me, these collaborators have been revelations during the samadhisound era. I've very much enjoyed exploring their own recordings, which have helped me appreciate their work with David all the more.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 pm

silentwings wrote:In an exchange on Twitter Dai Fujikura mentioned that some of his music may feature on David's new release. In response to a comment about the new cd he said "ah is that sounds from school or something like that of David's? Snippets of my music might be creeping in there, apparently."

Presumably this is in Jan Bang's improvised mix, much in the way that Dai's work was used on Jan's excellent 'Narrative from the Subtropics' album, and on 'Uncommon Deities'.

Thanks silentwings. I find this part of the communication to be quite amusing:

beautiful album this is, (I couldn't tell which bits are mine :) ) so you can look forward to DS' new album! :)

Apparently, Bang has reworked the contribution of Fujikura to the point of it being unrecognizable to the composer. :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:08 am

I am expecting something like Snow White in Appalachia minus the vocals. While not in league with an old-school vocal album from our guy, I am quite looking forward to this.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Not long to go now :D .. I contacted Mark at Confront to try pre-ordering a few weeks back, and he said it would be out towards the very end of the month and he would get back to me closer to release.

I'm really hoping for something sonically beautiful; something gentle and calming: sparse... minimal... Not spiky or harsh.

With each passing day I hope to have a little news, or snippet... but I don't think we'll get much (or anything) until its in our hands.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jebe68 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:46 am

Information being a bit thin on the ground at the moment on the new release, I dug this tidbit up last night on Squidco's upcoming release area:

David Sylvian (with Jan Bang, Otomo Yoshihide, Toshimaru Nakamura): Playing The Schoolhouse [3" CD]
Confront (confront editions ep 01)
Email Me When This Release Is in Stock

Looks to be a 3" CD (to my memory, a rather dreadful format)...still keeping expectations high for the sound of this one. Also, it seems when Sylvian gets in his productive mode, there is a string of work, so perhaps this heralds further releases in the near future.
jebe68
Noob
Noob

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:28 pm

jebe68 wrote:Information being a bit thin on the ground at the moment on the new release, I dug this tidbit up last night on Squidco's upcoming release area:

David Sylvian (with Jan Bang, Otomo Yoshihide, Toshimaru Nakamura): Playing The Schoolhouse [3" CD]
Confront (confront editions ep 01)
Email Me When This Release Is in Stock

Looks to be a 3" CD (to my memory, a rather dreadful format)...still keeping expectations high for the sound of this one. Also, it seems when Sylvian gets in his productive mode, there is a string of work, so perhaps this heralds further releases in the near future.

OT: on the mentioned Squidco-site I noticed this release:

Rohrer, Samuel : Noreia

Label: Arjunamusic

Swiss drummer Samuel Rohrer's quartet with Peter Herbert (acoustic bass), Skuli Sverrison (6-string baritone bass), and Claudio Puntin (bass clarinet & electronics) recalls ECM sensibilities in modern improvisation of great elegance and melodicism.

I have two solo-recordings from Sverrison which are really beautiful. Tempting to order this one.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work