New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby baht habit on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:11 am

silentwings wrote:Confront Recordings have now confirmed that this is NOT a live recording and that more information will be available nearer the release date in September.

Mark Wastell of the label describes the recording as a 'great piece' in a comment on his Facebook page.

Sounds intriguing, looking forward to it.

Excellent. Thank you, silentwings.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:49 am

"Piece" suggests a single track? Another long form composition?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14 am

Simonp wrote:"Piece" suggests a single track? Another long form composition?

I too originally thought that may well be the case.

I think though you could say SOTB is a great piece of work. As it's an opinion about the overall album viewed as a whole.

I am hoping for a song based album rather than one long piece.

Hopefully some more information will be forthcoming. It's exciting to have another release in the offing as I was a little worried that we would not hear anything again. My worries have now transferred to wether or not we will hear him sing again.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:57 pm

:smt040

July is nearly over.
Then there's August.
And then, in September... they'll tell us the release date is delayed. :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:41 am

I love the look of the Confront releases although I'll be sad if Chris Bigg has no involvement in the design of the packaging/sleeve notes. It wouldn't appear that 3rd party designers are involved with this outfit. I'm actually surprised (or should I not be?) that Sylvian has chosen to release music by a relatively unknown label. Perhaps he was unable to sell this "piece" to a more widely known label because its a continuation of his non mainstream work? I don't know. I'm still excited by it regardless.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 am

I would say you are correct about not being able to sell his music. No surprise there tho, this has been going on since NH. I am surprised about the generic art. That was the last redeeming quality of his solo stuff. A CDr release says tosser track to me...scrapping the bottom for sure. :) Ah I feel so bad for the guy. I can only ask why?? Maybe he's just buying time, throwing us off the scent of the RTC reunion. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 am

one realise is alreday sold out :-(

http://www.neromagazine.it/n/?page_id=19479
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:03 am

Tosser track? Deary me Chad, you do have a bee in your bonnet about Sylvian's latter work. Still if it gives you comfort to be so negative about it who are we to argue. It's actually become quite amusing to see what negative comments you come up with next.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 am

ah come on simon... its a CDr with no artwork. what exactly do you expect from this one? it is what it is. I think he'd get more attention if he'd use the burning shed cdr label.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 am

Simonp wrote: I'm actually surprised (or should I not be?) that Sylvian has chosen to release music by a relatively unknown label. Perhaps he was unable to sell this "piece" to a more widely known label because its a continuation of his non mainstream work? I don't know. I'm still excited by it regardless.

I'm excited by the prospect of this forthcoming release mainly DUE to the probability that it would not be conducive to the mindset of any mainstream label. The Italian forum includes a thread which appears to be attempting to decipher the "School House" reference. I happen to think that "Playing" is most likely a more telling reference for those wondering what to possibly expect --- Playing was Derek Bailey's preferred terminology for improvising.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 am

I'm excited about it too Baht. I actually think it's time for Sylvian to move away from the Chris Bigg partnership for a start.mwhile they've produced some beautiful work together I'd like to see something new in terms of the visual presentation of any new work he produces. The School House title is intriguing. I like you took the opportunity to do a few Google searches but it's like as himself put it, fishing in the dark. I like the idea of the Confront releases, the standard casing means it's all about the music
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:48 am

Simonp wrote: I like the idea of the Confront releases, the standard casing means it's all about the music

I completely agree. Harsh and Austere...without any of the 'frills'. :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:19 pm

After the delights of Chris Bigg design, this does seems the apposite alternative - completely unadorned and stark - yin to the Samadhi yang.

Am also quietly impressed that he has been so uncompromising and gone with a label devoted to Manafon-era collaborators. Much as I would love to hear him sing again, it just seems like a statement that there is no going back and that if he only sells a few thousand copies then so be it.

Very intrigued about what kind of music it might be, especially given the still constrained recording situation I imagine he's in. Also will there be any collaborators, perhaps from label mates? It's hard to imagine what a current era Sylvian-only instrumental would be like. 'There is a light...' doesn't really seem much of a guide given the (initial) input of Mathieu and Fennesz and the need to build around Frank Wright's readings. So much of the personality of this era of music from him has actually come from other players - Nakamura or Bang for instance. What is the true Sylvian instrumental voice now?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Simonp on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Very good points you've made Blemished. I think we can confidently say there will be no going back, the Sylvian that so many long for is a distant memory. Blemish and all that has followed has pretty much charted where Sylvian is now with his musical career. We either like it or lump it, I like it...greatly. He's a rare artist always wanting to tread new ground even if it means alienating what fanbase he has left. He's also very brave because he can't make a great deal of money from album sales and it's unlikely he'll perform on any grand scale again even if he does choose to play live

I'd like to think he will sing again, I've loved his voice for years but if he chooses to release only instrumental works in the future I'm happy with that too. He has a beautiful back catalogue which I never tire of listening to
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:54 pm

I think with David you are either in for the ride or not. I have no idea where he will take us next. But I know he deserves my undivided attention to his next release. All he can ask for as an artist is that the listener comes to it with an open mind. Ready to explore the possibilities together. He is utterly unique. No other artist has travelled such a diverse path (or one that I know of).

His greatest instrument is in my opinion his voice. On that I would like to think we can all agree. Maybe. His lyrics go beyond lyrics and have become relevant in their own right. Poetry. That's another thing I will miss if he does not grace the recordings with his singing. His words. They have a relevance and connection that I think can't be made otherwise. But that's just my thoughts.

But as he has shown us with DYKMN the possibility of working in a more traditional form still exists. Only time will tell.

I love the excitement of an impending release.

I love it also when the board gets busy and the excitement starts to build. Well for some of us. :lol:
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work