New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:05 am

Nope, no hard feelings at all dc..not interested in PM though... :D

"I also have a feeling Confront and DS would feel cheesed off having their fans screwed for a profit..."

Of course this is a very limited release..neither label nor artist are making a killing on 300 copies. That said, why do you think Confront wants to make a list of potential buyers before plunging into a second edition?
Further, did you not catch David's take? "One has to tread with caution with smaller labels. As I know to my cost running samadhisound, it’s a fine line between selling out an edition and finding yourself sitting on boxes of unsold pressings."

btw I noted that many "genuine fans" felt screwed because they didn't get in on the release. I saw accusations of elitism leveled at both the label and the artist. While I feel very strongly that Sylvian cares deeply about his fan base, I also think that he makes his art for himself, not for the fans...there is subtle difference. Hopefully, there will be a second edition and everyone will be happy. :-)

As I noted previously, for a label or an artist to continue to produce goods and services, they do have to at least recoup their money/time/effort. No one can continue making products indefinitely without making some return.

Not sure which part of this you guys disagree with? Is it that you just don't like eBay? I do and if you don't, don't use it.

As previously noted, I am not a fan of scalpers selling tix for exorbitant prices or buying up product to dish out later, hence the limited one per customer...I agree with you on that...I just don't blame eBay. I actually think eBay is pretty cool and do not want them to stop selling items because someone else says so.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:13 am

An example would be the Talk Talk promo box that I recently finally obtained. Could not have gotten it without eBay. I paid a fair sum for it based on it's rarity and age. Was the person who sold it "wrong" for making a profit? If so, what's the "fair" price and who determines it? You? For all I know, the person that sold it might have bought it for a dollar at a garage sale and made a significant profit. Who cares? I got the box set and I am happy.
Again, however, if the person that sold this had bought up (or somehow collected them up as I think they were originally free since they were promo items) all of them and then over the next 25 years sold them on eBay that would suck because only he/she determined who could get them. Although, I'd be impressed with his/her patience! :-)
Just making a larger point that's all...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:18 am

Well said TB I was only kidding about PM mate, yeah I totally agree with the e-bay I do like it myself, and

have used quite a bit, just the way of the world unfortunately :(

Dougie :smt006
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks dc..no worries at all. On to the real topic at hand here, I still have not received my copy of it. I am hoping that it comes this week so I can get it on eBay before the weekend. :smt005 Just joking!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Not sure which part of this you guys disagree with? Is it that you just don't like eBay? I do and if you don't, don't use it.

Only the scalpers; those buying something they know they can make a quick buck on, which doesn't fit with my personal moral compass. I use Ebay all the time, for buying and selling, but I would not try and take advantage as some have clearly done in this case.

Anyway, moving on :D ... I hope your copies arrive this coming week... I'm really interested to hear what others think of this piece.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Cool Foales, I have moved on, but funny enough I just checked eBay and yup somebody is selling it for $194! Holy crud! Who would pay that? So, after all my bluster and vinegar, have to agree with you on this case! Absurd and it does look like someone that just took advantage of the scarcity of the item. Think I might post "possible second edition on the way, don't waste you money on this auction." Wonder if I'd get in trouble? heh heh ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Sylvian-P ... Sw9mFWI26l
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:41 pm

WTH?!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:42 pm

I bet it's Chad!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:42 pm

sorry couldn't resist. :oops:
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Must say that I loathe the scalpers. I suppose it's as old as human society - buying something cheap and selling on for more - but there is something very unpleasant about buying an £8 CD and selling it on immediately for £127. Very exploitative, although no one is forced to pay that much. It is a pity that there could not have been an online-only release to combat this. The object itself is not that exciting - a metal tin, a nice postcard and a CD made to look like a vinyl single. Compared with the three books out or imminent, this is the least worthwhile as a collectable object.

And although the supply is limited, I'm not sure what the demand will be once everyone realises what this thing sounds like! i was lucky enough to get one but I have to say that first impressions are not good at all. I love Manafon and much of that work, but this is - on first listen - really poor. Manafon had a melodic thread that works wonderfully against the improvised percussive bits. This seems to be to be an attempt at the the latter but with nothing to thread it together. It is very telling that it relies on Dai Fujikura's orchestral samples - fed in like random radio snippets - to try and give it some coherence.

David's always had a gift for mood, textures and haunting melody. That makes much of his instrumental work really powerful. With this it's like he's refusing to use any of those positive attributes. If this proves to be David's last work, this will be a tragedy.

One of the things that always struck me was how the improv / Wire-magazine world took against Manafon (while loving Blemish). I've always thought that might be because David took their sonic soundscapes and made something melodic and song-based from it. They probably thought it was a bit like sound tourism and a bit uncouth. Or maybe it's a bit like the emperor's new clothes in that it showed that these wonderful textures don't have to be used in a wilfully unmusical way? There's such a fine line with that work - Polwechsel's 'Wrapped Islands' is wonderful for example and just works - but other releases in that world are really just self-indulgent noise. Perhaps he's trying to rebut that criticism by making something so devoid of meaning and structure?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Man, coming from you, I am quite sad to hear this. I remain open-minded, but if your critique is spot on, it may be in vain. I think you are on to something with the "like he's refusing to use any of those positive attributes" comment...unlike you, I did not much care for Manafon. I thought that Blemish had pretty much nailed it and that he needed to move on from the improve scene. He apparently did not agree. Weird that in the midst of this, he recorded the Nine Horses record which is one of my all-time faves that proves he is still most capable of writing expansive melodies and deep heartfelt lyrics. I think the worst criticism you could level at a DS release would by laziness. Never happened before and if it has happened now, perhaps it is time to rest the case.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:14 pm

It has to be remembered that this piece came about as the result of Mark Wastell @ Confront asking DS to record a track for him... This work is very much aligned with the output from this label, and perhaps should not be seen as the only thing he now has to offer. It seems to me he is something of a musical chameleon, and has the ability to change what he does to fit his mood of the moment... he has certainly not dedicated his life to free improv... or jazz, or pop etc. etc. Depending on your point of view, this could be the pits, or the peak... but I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy.

I would love to ask him about the thought process behind this, and what it means to him... I wonder if he would elaborate on Facebook, where he does actually seem to respond... assuming its him rather than some PR person.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Is the cd a 3" as advertised or is it a full sized disc?
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:50 pm

I think those profiteering on EBay on this release days after it's been released are parasitical low life's. I've already private messages the guy selling his copy for £125 my thoughts. I have no problems with people selling merchandise and profiting from it years after the original purchase but when the thing has only been in their hands a matter of days you know it was bought with the intention of making a quick buck out of some poor fan who missed out first time round,

I don't think this is Sylvian's swan song by the way....there's more to come!!!
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work