New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 am

I'm very pleased to hear it won't be a live recording... the title does suggest more of a performance than a laptop construction piece like TALTE... its quite an ordinary title by DS standards too. It being a studio piece rather than live certainly seems to go against the labels current output, so who knows, unlikely though it is, it could be song based too. Some pared down pieces along the lines of DYKMN would be very welcome, but I won't get my hopes up.

Its quite good fun guessing, even if its wide of the mark... :)

I love the excitement of an impending release.

Me too... and esp. as this was so unexpected. And there's the book too 8)
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:06 am

I think a live recording might've been quite nice. It's not something he's done before other than the Damage release. I suspect given the nature of the other artists on Confront that we won't be getting a traditional song based album or something with any structure at all. I think it'll be freeform but I could be wrong. It's still exciting to be getting a new recording and the book (which sounds amazing) from David so we can't complain!
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 am

sorry guys... this is just weak no matter how you look at it. a cdr tin can release on a no name label. why not just do bandcamp and be done with it? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 am

Ha! Turn out the lights the party's over...Ol Dandy Don...that's pretty funny!
That said, the question really is, does Sylvian want to make a pop-oriented vocal album or is he content to continue to pursue the more experimental improv stuff. Or, as you seem to suggest, is he not ABLE to produce the pop side anymore due to vocal concerns/health concerns or having run out of ideas? Either way, while I totally support your right to not like his recent work ( I am not a fan of Died in the Wool, the poetry stuff, and much of Manafon) it seems as if you are aggressively cheering for his failure...if the dude's health is poor and that's why he can't sing, aren't you being quite a dick for dogging him on it? If, it's the former, and he is just producing experimental music that you don't like, it also seems that you have stated your case on the subject and that there is no need to continue to state it. Like I said, I don't care for much of his work post-Blemish (which I really did like), but being that his work has brought so much joy to my life and that I view him as a musically genius, I am always interested to see what he will do next. I thought You Don't Know Me Now was great...perhaps a little album of songs like that would be nice? Anyway...I think the ire that you receive from the forum centers around you seeming to be outwardly rooting for Sylvian's failure.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 am

Tin Bird, I couldn't have put it better myself. It speaks volumes about Chad''s apparent contempt for Sylvian these days when he hasn't even heard the new work and has already written it off because it's being released as a CD-R. Why call it a no name label? It has a name? Perhaps Sylvian feels comfortable releasing music on a label that also represents other artists he admires.

Chad it's time for you to...move on?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Please, Dont feed the Troll!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Simonp wrote:Chad it's time for you to...move on?

I agree. So - to my regret - Chad is banned. There has been abuse to members again and this thread - which is an exciting new topic for most of us - seems on the verge of going the same way as others. I kept the forum going - which costs money - because I've always valued being part of a lively, like-minded community of those who value this music. It was a thrill to discover this thread and its news. And this still seems a useful alternative to Facebook for people to share views, news etc. All opinions are welcome, critical and positive, but there's no excuse for abusing others. And, frankly, the broken-record, endless trolling is boring me and - based on feedback I've had - upsetting some of you. So that chapter is closed.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby hitch on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:51 pm

thank you.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 pm

hitch wrote:thank you.

Yes, I think the forum will be better without the broken record that was Chad. I have no problem with people hating what DS does now, and understand the change is hard to stomach, but constantly whining, disparaging and attacking both him and those who do like it was very boring... don't like it? then leave... simple!

Anyway, moving on... Has anyone ordered anything from Confront yet? I'm tempted to try something out, but am not sure what to go for.

Despite DS being quite a marginal artist these days I imagine this will be quite a coup for the label.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Thank you blemished. I hope now with Chad's banishment that more people will engage in proper discussion once again. We've got two rather nice releases from Sylvian coming soon and I for one can't wait to chat with people about them. I can't comment on Playing The Schoolhouse yet, but Hypergraphia sounds quite wonderful. Almost 700 pages of Sylvian/Bigg and other artists associated with or liked by Sylvian, what's not to love. I do hope to see one or two of Fukui's paintings in there as he was such a big part of the look of Samadhisound
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:01 pm

Oh and the fact he will be releasing some
Foales Arishes wrote:
hitch wrote:thank you.

Yes, I think the forum will be better without the broken record that was Chad. I have no problem with people hating what DS does now, and understand the change is hard to stomach, but constantly whining, disparaging and attacking both him and those who do like it was very boring... don't like it? then leave... simple!

Anyway, moving on... Has anyone ordered anything from Confront yet? I'm tempted to try something out, but am not sure what to go for.

Despite DS being quite a marginal artist these days I imagine this will be quite a coup for the label.

I'm planning on buying a couple of them two...they're not especially expensive and I thought I might start with the David Toop release as I enjoyed Sound Body when Samadhi released that. May also pick up one of the John Butcher releases as I rather like his raspy sax playing
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Simonp wrote:I'm planning on buying a couple of them two...they're not especially expensive and I thought I might start with the David Toop release as I enjoyed Sound Body when Samadhi released that. May also pick up one of the John Butcher releases as I rather like his raspy sax playing

Funny that, as I was looking at these two.
CCS 36: John Butcher / Burkhard Beins / Mark Wastell - Membrane (2014)
CONFRONT 14: Akio Suzuki & David Toop - Breath Taking (2004)

I also found this clip on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLVo1XjZ4Q ...which relates to the Butcher/Beins/Wastell release, and sounds rather good. I'm not a huge fan of some of the free improvised stuff, and generally seek out the quieter, gentler material... some of it is too harsh, or bitty, or simply too off the wall for my tastes.
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm

couple days ago, this lp was published:http://www.neromagazine.it/n/?page_id=19479
with David Sylvian song You Know Me Now
there are only 500 copies and they are sold out :-(
but...

there is one copy at http://www.discogs.com/Phil-Collins-My-Hearts-In-My-Hand-And-My-Hand-Is-Pierced-And-My-Hands-In-The-Bag-And-The-Bag-Is-Shut/release/7073912

maybe someone is interested.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

hitch wrote:couple days ago, this lp was published:http://www.neromagazine.it/n/?page_id=19479
with David Sylvian song You Know Me Now
there are only 500 copies and they are sold out :-(
but...

there is one copy at http://www.discogs.com/Phil-Collins-My-Hearts-In-My-Hand-And-My-Hand-Is-Pierced-And-My-Hands-In-The-Bag-And-The-Bag-Is-Shut/release/7073912

maybe someone is interested.

I managed to bag one when it was first announced. A beautiful release with lovely packaging and worth getting hold of if you can
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Ha, that's the two im going to purchase. I'm like you , I prefer the quieter works as opposed to the more extreme noisy stuff. I'm not sure if it's meant to be enjoyed or rather appreciated?

Have you checked out Stephan Matthieu's back catalogue by theway? Completely beautiful and worth investing the time in

Foales Arishes wrote:
Simonp wrote:I'm planning on buying a couple of them two...they're not especially expensive and I thought I might start with the David Toop release as I enjoyed Sound Body when Samadhi released that. May also pick up one of the John Butcher releases as I rather like his raspy sax playing

Funny that, as I was looking at these two.
CCS 36: John Butcher / Burkhard Beins / Mark Wastell - Membrane (2014)
CONFRONT 14: Akio Suzuki & David Toop - Breath Taking (2004)

I also found this clip on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLVo1XjZ4Q ...which relates to the Butcher/Beins/Wastell release, and sounds rather good. I'm not a huge fan of some of the free improvised stuff, and generally seek out the quieter, gentler material... some of it is too harsh, or bitty, or simply too of the wall for my tastes.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work