New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:30 pm

I have always preferred laughing Stock...in fact, I rank it as my all-time favorite album. I recently, listened to Spirit of Eden on a nice pair of nice speakers and it totally blew my mind...heard things I had never heard before...an amazing record for sure.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Blemished wrote:
I love Manafon too and its sound - I wonder how it will stand up in 10 years?

I think it will stand the test of time well... its beautifully made, without the constraints of being fashionable or trying to pander to radio play-lists, and charts. Its already over six years old and is fresh as a daisy to me :-D

Blemished wrote:Phill Brown's book is fascinating - the fact that he has never been able to listen to 'New Grass' since says so much about how hard that record was to make.

Its quite funny that two such beautiful albums were responsible for such mental harm during their conception … Poor Phill :lol:

Tin Bird wrote:...heard things I had never heard before...an amazing record for sure.

It is amazing!... there is stuff in there that I've no idea how it was done :shock:

Wecome to the Talk Talk forum everyone :lol:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ronc on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 am

Blemished wrote:
Foales Arishes wrote:[read Phill Browns book for some fascinating insight]

Phill Brown's book is fascinating - the fact that he has never been able to listen to 'New Grass' since says so much about how hard that record was to make.

I asked for and received "Are We Still Rolling" for Christmas. I plan to read it as soon as I finish "On the Periphery" and the Japan bio. Or maybe I'll just jump to the Talk Talk parts and read it now?
ronc

Postby svendutchmountains on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 am

Foales Arishes wrote:Ah okay Sven, thanks, that's interesting 8) I hope your Ebay purchase wasn't too expensive?... and, are you going to keep all the versions?

I'm interested to hear what you think of the piece?.....I did look back through the thread I can't see a critique of the sounds, only the package... apologies if I've missed it.

So, what are peoples predictions for DS over the coming year?... nothing?... some new music?.... photography?.... some new direction? (painting? acting? a play?... dance? :P .... )... retirement?.... death? :smt006

Has there ever been a barren DS year, where nothing has been heard from him?

Any thoughts?... just for fun.

Hi Foales,

I tend not to give an opinion on music: I believe no-one really is all that interested in my opinion about a certain piece of music, and to be honest, I am not that interested in others opinion either! I believe one should approach music without bias, and hearing other people`s opinion introduces bias. I have also seen too much bitchiness on this forum aimed at people voicing their opinions.

That said, I do enjoy the various recommendations of new artists which are often made on this list: it widens my horizons, and this is one of the things I love about Sylvian. Through him I have been introduced to musicians, artists, writers and photographers I might never have found out about!

With regards to 2016, I believe someone already mentioned on another threat there is a new Sylvian album on the cards. Cannot recall who it was but it was either a reference to a Japan re-release or a new `pop`album. I`d need to delve into the forum a little deeper but I believe the person who posted mentioned David was in contact with another record company.

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:20 am

By the way - with regards to a `barren`Sylvian year... most of us remember the looooong silence between The First Day (and Damage) and Dead Bees. That was almost a barren decade (in musical terms). The only thing to surface at that time were the outtakes from Little Girl with 99 Lives!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:39 am

I have the Phill Brown book and I found it a very interesting diary of his years as an engineer. I particularly was interested in his work with Talk Talk, Red Box, and China Crisis (which was mentioned in the book, but not in detail). However, the over the top drug use described in the text I found rather disgusting. I'm no prude of any kind and had my moments back in the day, but it's a bit much on the drug stuff for me. I can't imagine living a life like that for so long...sitting in the dark, high out of my mind with loud music blaring at me and in some cases an oil projector showing psychedelic images on the walls for hours on end...omg..I have issues w tinnitus and vertigo as it is...just thinking about that makes me sick. :?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:50 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:
Hi Foales,

Hi Sven.... no worries at all :D ..... I thought I'd ask, but feel no compulsion to give your thoughts on the piece. I do like to hear peoples reactions to things I'm interested in personally, but respect those who wish to keep their feelings to themselves. I can't say my view would be in any way tainted by others comments, at least not in a negative way... maybe someone would raise some aspect I'd not considered, but if I like something - or dislike something - no one (or many) critiques will change that view.... and I think those disruptive elements that might poo on other people for liking DS's more avant-garde material have been expelled, or taken themselves away.

PTS has some major positives for me, but viewing it within DS's overall output I would not play it over most of his other work... I'd consider it something as step, or two, away from from his core material, but important non-the-less.

Foales... Amid Devonia's Alps ;-)
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:04 pm

ronc wrote:Glad that you got your second edition, Sven. I still don't have mine yet...

Anyone else who didn't receive his copy of the second edition?

I also got an email from Mark in which he wrote they were all shipped between Christmas and New Year, but no sign of my package....
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:34 am

Quiet Visitor wrote:
ronc wrote:Glad that you got your second edition, Sven. I still don't have mine yet...

Anyone else who didn't receive his copy of the second edition?

I also got an email from Mark in which he wrote they were all shipped between Christmas and New Year, but no sign of my package....

After I wrote Mark about this he was so kind to send me a new copy, which arrived yesterday. Great service.
My copy has a sticker on the front with David's name and the title and a sticker on the back with the credits.
The disc is the black one.
The catalogue number is ccs 51.2.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I recently bought a CD from Sylvian-collaborator Skúli Sverrisson and Hilmar Jensson, called Kjár (1998). This music is quite different from the stuff Sverrisson made on his solo-works Sería. Kjár could have been an album that influenced David in making this kind of ambient works. It seems the duo made another album recently. Here's a very short clip to show you what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQbgkuPzQI

The duo also works with Arve Henriksen, which results in more melodic stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3LhmJOUO4k
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work