The end of Samadhi Sound

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: The end of Samadhi Sound

Postby natsume on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Chad wrote:natsume.... you always did have trouble following along huh? :lol:

I guess so, as I have no idea what you are referring to.

As long as I relate to, understand, and respect the differences of the majority of the regular posters here, I'll keep following along. With them.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Patswe on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:49 am

The new recording contract you mention Simonp, is it Confront?
The music released from Samadhisound are removed from the Apple music. (they were there before if I remember correctly)
I wonder if David sold it to another company.
Patswe
Noob
Noob

Postby silentwings on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Some may have seen that David posted the following on Facebook today. It was in response to a comment posted below news on Hypergraphia, which said 'ok David..but..we need your music!'

"it's been a 38 year run. when is enough enough I wonder? this past decade or so running the samadhisound label has given me the greatest satisfaction of my 57 years. Should I find the same freedom again elsewhere I'll likely reach for it. It's a big ask though. I'm in no hurry. we'll see where the journey takes me. I appreciate the sentiment of your comment though. I've never taken the interest of others for granted but i follow my own path. This book represents so many things that are dear to me; my working relationship with chris bigg for one. design and artwork became an increasingly important part of my life and work once the label took off and chris played an important role in that exchange. The book celebrates 32 years or more of working with richard chadwick, my manager and dear friend, who now heads into retirement. This is a tribute to his love and sacrifice on my behalf. I could go on. The music is out there, it exists. There may be more to come. The writing doesn't stop even when the releases do. I guess that's reflected in the title of the book. Oh, there's so much that could be said. maybe one day.. 'til then dx"
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:13 am

Thank you so much for posting that SilentWings. It's great to hear him comment directly on things, but difficult not to feel some sadness that it seems his "career" is, in all likelihood, winding down. Richard Chadwick's retirement certainly explains the closure of Samadhi. At least the door is open for more music and - given the right home and encouragement - more releases. This does make me think that we won't hear him sing afresh again, nor see him play live.

Was also struck by Patswe's post and the removal of all the Samadhi material from itunes. I guess physical stock might still exist in the cavernous tombs of Amazon and the like, but to not be able to buy downloads is surprising. I would have thought that keeping it available would have been something that Richard and David would both have wanted prior to the former's retirement?

Much to digest.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:00 am

Patswe wrote:The new recording contract you mention Simonp, is it Confront?
The music released from Samadhisound are removed from the Apple music. (they were there before if I remember correctly)
I wonder if David sold it to another company.

Labels such as these don't typically work w contracts...usually one off recordings and then on to another artist. Not enough money to pay artist or create the number of releases needed to really build a fan base. Hence, the small run for this new 3" cd release. I would be surprised if Confront released another Sylvian release. That said, even at this stage, I would think that many "medium sized" labels would love to add Sylvian to their roster. I'm thinking of labels such as 4 a.d., Matador, XL Recordings, Sub Pop, Rough Trade...etc.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work