SHM-CD Secrets & Brilliant

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

SHM-CD Secrets & Brilliant

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Secrets Of The Beehive and Brilliant Trees will both get a re-release in the Japanese SHM-CD format.

More information on the format: http://shm-cd.co-site.jp/about/about_e.html
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: SHM-CD Secrets & Brilliant

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:39 am

I have both of these..they sound killer and the packaging is top notch...mini-cd replicas.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:28 am

Waste of money
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:43 pm

afternoonfix wrote:Waste of money

Well, I haven't bought them either, but I can imagine that people might want to try this and apparently Tin Bird loves them.

Sometimes I buy these kind of re-releases when I haven't got the album yet or just the LP. In some occassions they sound very good, but I have some SHM-CD's that seems copies of LP's. But the Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is very good.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 am

The remaster on these is actually quite good. If you bought them back when they originally came out, 2004 I believe than you do not NEED to buy these. That said, the packaging is far superior to the digipaks( I dislike them) and mirrors the original album release. As for whether the SHM format actually effects the sound...I can't say as my system is fairly entry level and probably wouldn’t tell the difference anyway. They do sound great though... I collect the Japan mini-cds when I can...I like the aesthetic and Japan discs typically sound really good. Unlike most areas around the world that have moved on to downloads (yuck!) Japan has remained loyal to the CD format....for me it’s vinyl or CD….downloads sound horrible and completely remove the album intent and artistic nature of the presentation.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:03 am

There are three different formats according to CD Japan:

SHM CDs
SHM SACDs (non-hybrid)
PT-SHM CDs

BT is SHM. I think the one you want is shm-sacd. I see that Roxy Music got a shm-sacd reissue recently. I wonder how that differs from the 2013 box set flat transfers?

I'm starting to hate the cd format. They are usually are mass produced brickwalled awful sounding stuff. What they should do is reissue the back catalog on 2xLP 180 gm vinyl w all the singles included. According to amazon my copy of BT vinyl is worth $245 now.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:03 am

SACDs are a different format than standard red book cds. You have to have a special player to play them..which I do not. I have BT and SOTB of SHM cd from last year.
The remastered/reissued Cds you are referring to are a result of the mastering process itself, not the format that it is released on. I completely agree that most reissues (in any format) over the past ten years have been horrid due to being a victim of the so-called "Loudness Wars." However, there are a few exceptions...The Beatles mono Cds sound great (although I hear that new mono vinyl reissues are even better!), DEVO Japan mini cds are very good, Talk Talk Colour of Spring/Spirit of Eden and I can think of a few others. Again, it seems Japan knows how to produce cds the right way and when they do the remastering, it is quality.
Some cd reissues that have been horrible that I can think of are:
The The - Dusk
OMD - Dazzle Ships
Buggles - Adventures in Modern Recording
I’ve heard that the Kraftwerk cd remasters are bad
And I don’t like the Beatles stereo cds either

Another band that brickwalls their music is The National...great band but last few cds sound horrible. The downloads sound just as bad (if not worse) as the cds…so, again, it’s not the format, it’s the remastering job itself.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Tin Bird wrote:SACDs are a different format than standard red book cds. You have to have a special player to play them..which I do not.

I bought a everything player a few years back. I take it for granted that everyone has sacd capable gear. You can pick up a refurbed Denon for about $100. That The The comment reminded me of the time I saw them open for Black Oak Arkansas back in '79. They were a 3 piece punk band at the time. True story :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:50 pm

Tin Bird wrote:..for me it’s vinyl or CD….downloads sound horrible and completely remove the album intent and artistic nature of the presentation.

Amen to that. I often buy albums through pledge, bandcamp or kickstarter and they often come with the download for free. I can't remember if I ever listened to them. I want the whole package: music and cover-art!

I have a DVD/SACD-player plus an amplifier with surround-sound, so I can play those SACD's. But most of those Japanese SHM-SACD's are stereo and - call me a snob - I don't care for another stereo-version if I already got one.
A lot of re-releases nowadays come with a DVD-A with a surround-mix. Think: XTC, Tears For Fears, King Crimson, Gentle Giant (and Manafon of course!). Not everything works in surround though. And it's a whole different way of listening. But I would love to hear Tin Drum in surround sound.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Chad wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:SACDs are a different format than standard red book cds. You have to have a special player to play them..which I do not.

I bought a everything player a few years back. I take it for granted that everyone has sacd capable gear. You can pick up a refurbed Denon for about $100. That The The comment reminded me of the time I saw them open for Black Oak Arkansas back in '79. They were a 3 piece punk band at the time. True story :)

I saw The The open for Depeche Mode in 93 for the Dusk tour. They were awesome live!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Aw man I got you beat. The The 1990 tour front row. I could have spit on Johnny Marr. David Palmer was in that band. I really liked his work with YMO & ABC. The good ole days...
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Very cool! btw I met David after his Slowfire show in D.C. We waited for him in the back of the venue and he just walked out. Chatted w him for a few moments and got him to sign my program. Richard Chadwick was with him. Definitely the good ol days! :-)

btw the Slowfire show was absolutely mind blowing. The most powerful voice I have ever heard live...his baritone just resonated throughout the theatre. I almost cried when he broke into Brilliant Trees...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm

tou-che' Tin. game-set & match.

I had second row center tickets for the everything & nothing tour. alas the show got canceled and it never came to pass. I think I'm still carrying some anger issues from that one. Seriously. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Ah...wasn't one-upping Chad, just sharing. I did see DS at the 9:30 Club again in DC for the E & N tour. Another great show. My fave thing was that Steve Jansen's drum kit was placed sideways at the front of the stage so you could watch him play clearly. Effortless, suave, sweet drumming...certainly one of the best.
Overall, I preferred the intimacy of the Slowfire show though...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

No worries tin, I was just trying to be funny. I see that someone put that slowfire show on youtube. I think I have a better sounding copy somewhere in my collection if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_Eegvb79c

Just my thoughts but I dont think we'll ever get another chance to see him sing again.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Solo Work