24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 am

Chad made the following points re: why he wasn't excited about David's new release:

Repurposed piano parts. A couple thumbs down on the art. Baht's over there working on edits.

...and was met with some dumb abuse about how old he was because of it. His detractors need to get over it.

The artwork is indeed crap. Possibly no big deal.

More of a big deal is that some of Chad's polar opposites are having to turn the piece into a Frankenstein's monster of their own making to enjoy it. Should this be evidence enough for Chad that maybe the work won't be worth it? I'd say so.

And he's definitely entitled to say the same.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am

I appreciate everyone's take on this...personally the idea of a title called "true fan" doesn't interest me in the least. I read/post here to get updates on Sylvian's work and to occasionally catch others' perspectives, however, I am not interested in joining any exclusive groups that feel they have some special tag or title that makes their opinions any more valid or meaningful then others. Not saying anyone is doing this, but the idea of "true fan" means nothing to me. I have listened to all of Sylvian's work since 1986 ....I have my faves: Beehive, Brilliant Trees, DBOAC, Nine Horses, Alchemy, Plight and others that I did not care for as much: Manafon, Naoshima, World Citizen...
Being a fan, for me, just means that I have enjoyed an artists work over the years and am interested in hearing what he/she does next. However, it does not mean that I will like everything they do and suspend my judgement due to past glories. I like what I like, I don't like what i don't like... I most certainly will always lend David an ear because he is one of my favorite artists and I hold his work in very high regard, but I am not a fan of spoken word free verse poetry (in general) and did not need to spend much time with the new work to realize it wasn't for me.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby depeon on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 am

Excellent Tin, i couldn't have phrased it better myself. :D
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chad on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I love this quote from the arts desk review - "If you want a slightly raddled, slightly disturbing uncle of an album at whose knee to sit, you found it right here."

The point I was trying to make earlier is we (I should say you guys) are being suckered into buying this stuff time and time again. There is absolutely no incentive for him to do put out quality work when he can sell 50K worth of this crap without even trying. There are guys out there that will buy 50 copies of these ltd editions and sit back and dump them onto ebay one at a time. Lenin imports and Ivo Watts make a living do this. And who knows, maybe Samadahi is doing it too. Didn't Bill Nelson get called out for ebay dumping a while back? It happens more then you'd think.

I say lets demand more!! Riots in the streets dagnamit!!

:)
Last edited by Chad on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Sylvian could not care less who likes it or dislikes it, who is a "true fan" or a boring troll. He makes the music he finds interesting and that's all that matters to him. And to me.

Yes, Missouriman, you nailed it on the head. :smt021
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Well, now to show that I am an equal contrarian, I would say that I believe that Sylvian is simply making the work that he wants to irregardless of public consumption. I do not see him as an artist driven by money...if he was, I should think he would have released SOTB II by now or perhaps flogged the Japan horse a few more times. He is an eccentric, self guided-man who is currently residing closer to the free-form improv scene than the pop music one. Knowing him, he will at some point rebel against the improv tag and try something else. I like that he constantly changes even if I don't always connect with the current direction.

Also, if an artist wants to sell their work on ebay they have the right to charge what they want. After all, you don't HAVE to buy it do you? It's weird, it's like somehow fans feel that they have rights or something...like the artist owes you something since you've bought their work and listened to their music. An artists muse is the only debt to which he knows.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Chad wrote:The point I was trying to make earlier is we (I should say you guys) are being suckered into buying this stuff time and time again.

I kind of agree with this, if not with the underlying cynicism. in other words, I don't believe David's fans 'are being suckered' into buying obscure stuff they honestly won't care about, as much as I believe a fair proportion of them sucker themselves into doing so just because of the name 'David Sylvian' typed onto it.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Haldeman Gracie wrote:

Yes, but, it goes beyond that... he calls those who choose to buy these releases 'chumps' 'suckers' ect, which I find offensive and unnecessary. He's been banging-on about how he doesn't like what DS is doing, for what seems like an eternity, and we get the f***ing message.

He doesn't like it fine... but, we don't need to keep hearing it, or how stupid we for having an opposing view.

He's like the bore in the pub, or the slightly unhinged person who sits next to you on the bus.

It really is time to say :smt006

BTW I buy this stuff, not for the name.. I came to DS with Manafon and do not own everything he's done, and I have little interest in Japan, or his early stuff, which I find (in part) too smooth and cheesy [but I don't bang-on about it] ... I buy this stuff having listened to the samples, and deciding I will get something out of it.
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Ah, when I edit it quotes me :smt005 ... sorry for the double post.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:
Haldeman Gracie wrote:

Yes, but, it goes beyond that... he calls those who choose to buy these releases 'chumps' 'suckers' ect, which I find offensive and unnecessary. He's been banging-on about how he doesn't like what DS is doing, for what seems like an eternity, and we get the f***ing message.

bawhaaaa... grow some fuckin balls foal. We've all been subjected to this crap music for the last 10 years. Hence the banging-on for an eternity as you call it. Stop enabling this sh*t already. That goes for all of you suckers and chumps... and you know who I'm talking too. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby depeon on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Nice to see a healthy debate going on here. I, for one value Chad's contributions, like Sylvian of late he can be challenging but he speaks as he sees it and that to me is healthy.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Chad has all the charm of a pile of %^&$. And it's not healthy. His contributions are somewhat schizophrenic like he cannot make up his mind so EVERYTHING he thinks is spewed out to us. I have this loser blocked now. Life is too short to read BS about a subject you care about. This echo chamber of a forum revolves around a faithful few who value Sylvian still. Chad has no respect for him so why is he here?
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Chad wrote:
Foales Arishes wrote:
Haldeman Gracie wrote:

bawhaaaa... grow some fuckin balls foal. We've all been subjected to this crap music for the last 10 years. Hence the banging-on for an eternity as you call it. Stop enabling this sh*t already. That goes for all of you suckers and chumps... and you know who I'm talking too. :)

I have a fine pair thank you... quite the stud in fact :shock: :lol:

I will now go an order ten copies of TALTE... just the keep 'enabling' :twisted:

All this moaning and insulting will change nothing... its a lost cause Chad :smt006
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks Missouriman, I never knew there was a blocked feature on here. Just tried it out on a couple of names that popped into my head :D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Foales...You say that you "came to DS w Manafon"!? Meaning that was his first work you had heard?! Wow! I mean cool and everything, but you were so inspired by just that one album to join a forum? That just strikes me..like, I had no idea that there was a whole new generation of DS fans that view Manafon and post as his prime work...blows me away really.
Kind've like Depeche Mode fans saying they fell in love with Exciter or something. Weird.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work