24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Chet on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:43 am

And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: 24.11.14

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:06 am

For those who do not follow David on Tumblr - the picture Chet just posted was uploaded by David this afternoon.
The picture has a caption

"David Sylvian
There is a light which enters houses with no other house in sight
Featuring
Franz Wright
Christian Fennesz"

Seems like this points to the imminent release of the Kilowatt Hour project!

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:27 am

Of course David"s website has no mention of it (yet)! The last time it was updated was mid-December 2013!

By the way - interesting to note that there is no mention of Stephan on the picture uploaded onto Tumblr. Does that mean his contribution will have been taken out?

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

there's a light that enters houses with no ....

Postby ob8 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 pm

other house in sight.

On David's Fb page :

https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOf ... =1&theater

Seems ( well to me) that it's a extension of the concerts made last year or maybe a rework ?

Let the opinions begin :-D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:46 am

svendutchmountains wrote:Of course David"s website has no mention of it (yet)! The last time it was updated was mid-December 2013!

By the way - interesting to note that there is no mention of Stephan on the picture uploaded onto Tumblr. Does that mean his contribution will have been taken out?

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven

In my opinion - just my opinion, mind you - that would be the incorrect contribution to have been omitted. :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: there's a light that enters houses with no ....

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 am

ob8 wrote:other house in sight.

On David's Fb page :

https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOf ... =1&theater

Seems ( well to me) that it's a extension of the concerts made last year or maybe a rework ?

Let the opinions begin :-D

Thanks ob8
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:33 am

Yes, thanks for the heads up - wouldn't have seen otherwise

Interesting that it's NOT released as 'The Kilowatt Hour' and that Stephan Mathieu is missing.

Love the cover. Looking forward to finding out more.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby ob8 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:07 am

24th of November is when it's scheduled for release.

I am not counting down the days.

Having been at one of last years shows I suspect David's best instrument will be absent. His voice.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:59 am

ob8 wrote:24th of November is when it's scheduled for release.

I am not counting down the days.

Having been at one of last years shows I suspect David's best instrument will be absent. His voice.

I was at the Kristiansand show - at that time I was mesmerised by Frank Wright^s voice. Not sure how the actual sound evolved during the Italian tour - I did not download any of those shows but I will be curious to hear the final result. The Rough Trade info mentioned the CD features contributions by John Tilbury, so it will be interesting to see how it has all gelded together. Is it still an exercise in improv? And how does this sound without Stephan^s contribution?
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:09 pm

For those interested in the artwork - the photograph used is by Nicholas Hughes, Verse I, Untitled 14 from the In Darkness Visible series, 2007.
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:29 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:The Rough Trade info mentioned the CD features contributions by John Tilbury, so it will be interesting to see how it has all gelded together. Is it still an exercise in improv?

I'm definitely a bit more encouraged to read that there are contributions by John Tilbury.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 pm

The title is taken from the prose poem 'Nude with handgun and rosary' by Franz Wright. It is part of the collection 'Kindertotenwald'', from which the readings at The Kilowatt Hour performances were taken.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:48 pm

The title is from a prose poem by Franz Wright from Kindertotenwald (which should merrily translate as Forest Of Dead Children) and here's the text:

NUDE WITH HANDGUN AND ROSARY
The small silver crucified man hangs between her breasts like an arrow directing attention away from the face in its nimbus of unasked-for beauty, all that stands between her and apparition, while pointing the way to the ever inexplicable V, all that's left of her animal: damp, like the tip of a painter's brush just dipped in darkest blue. She has put the thing on like a necklace and gone to admire it in the full-length mirror, in muted light the color of gold's shadow at this late-afternoon hour. There's a light that enters houses with no other house in sight. How describe it? But then there are more important things to think about than light. It lies on the dresser blackly glowing, the one object that's completely self-explanatory here. Just look at you, child with the sun-colored eyes, waiting in line with love's innumerable patients and their grievances at scarecrowlike standstill, how slowly, how badly, they mend; just one more being tested, in need of new double-thick Coke-bottle glasses, straining in the poor light to make out the oversize letters of their own obituaries while they're waiting to be born... Soon, soon, between one instant and the next, you will be well.

There is a sound that comes from houses with no other house in sight.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:52 pm

While searching for that (same time as silentwings it seems :wink: ) I came across this on another forum:
"i'm not certain, but i think this recording does center around poetry. as i've seen on-line so far: "David Sylvian's new long form composition (with a running time of over 60 minutes). A unique collaboration with American Pulitzer Prize winning poet Franz Wright (reading a selection of his works) featuring contributions from Christian Fennesz and John Tilbury." No listing yet on the Samadhisound site." [Just saw the quoted bit is from the Rough Trade site.]
Followed by this comment from a different person: "I think the phrase will be " tread with caution"."
:lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:03 am

Hi all - in case you're wondering, I've merged the two threads we had on this - one in 'Japan' and the one here - seemed better to keep it all in the one place.

Very intrigued about the removal of Stephan Mathieu's contribution and the addition of John Tilbury. Anybody have any sense of how it would have changed the final outcome? I think I remember someone comparing David's piano elements as being a bit Tilbury-like, so I guess it's good that he's gone to the man himself.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Next

Return to Solo Work