24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Uh... :?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:26 am

svendutchmountains wrote:Guys,
Lighten up. The man has an opinion. It is up to him to voice it, how ever often he wants to. If you do not like it, don`t react.

Chad,
Seriously? You are a meow mix. "fu_ck"? "As$hole"? If you have half a bollock then just say the words. fudgesicle. ice hole. Sound harsh? Using explicatives you show yourself to be little more than typical red-neck trailer trash. Hi there Billy Ray! How many turkeys did you eat last weekend? How many Pabst cans did you drown? Wanker.

It's not an opinion he's voicing, he's being antagonist. He said himself he only comes on here to wind people up. To spend so much time on a forum when you no longer enjoy an artists work is just weird anyway. If you only come on here to berate and not engage in civilised conversation/debate then it's no wonder genuine forum users get riled by him. And telling someone to f**k off is not acceptable
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:34 am

Tin Bird wrote:Uh... :?

I'm with you there Tin Bird. And it was all going so well... :-D

Checking into this forum is like have a drink with some mates, popping outside to make a call and then coming back in to find that a nice evening out has degenerated into a ranting, expletive-laden brawl...

Glad you're all having fun with the automatic expletive deleter...think some of it was set up with SilverMoon's customary humour...

She'd have deleted a lot of this by now at least. As you all got upset about censorship the last time there was a breakdown of communications I won't delete posts. But abusing other forum members is a breach of the rules of membership (they're on the forum somewhere). I was delighted to be able to keep this forum going, but I don't really want to have pay good money for people to abuse each other. And I don't want people driven away by the rudeness of others.

Chad - I respect your opinions and enjoy hearing a different view. But abusing others that way is not acceptable. This is not the first time. So I've given you a two-week ban to cool off. You're welcome again after that but any more and that'll be that.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 am

Blemished wrote:
I was delighted to be able to keep this forum going, but I don't really want to have pay good money for people to abuse each other. And I don't want people driven away by the rudeness of others.

Good decision Blemished... it had gone way beyond voicing an opinion on the work.

Speaking of which {what was this thread about again??? :lol: }

bhat kindly send my his edited version of TALTE... so I have been listening to this piece as music only, without the readings. It obviously makes it a very different experience (and not what was intended) though its not without its moments of unsettled discomfort even in this form... It remains a dark piece overall, but the texts, in part, were too much for me [though I do like sections, such as the first block of dialogue] but in this form there is enough beauty to make it a more worthwhile listen for me.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:16 am

If I have one complaint about There's a light...is its length. To me it's about 20 minutes too long and a shorter piece would've sustained my interest more. I feel as much as I really enjoy it, after 60 minutes of twinkling piano I'm ready to listen to something a little more upbeat. I still think there are some completely gorgeous moments however and I'll listen to this much more than I will When We Return...
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Here is a review of the album from the Allmusic website :

http://www.allmusic.com/album/theres-a- ... 0002767183
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Simonp wrote:If I have one complaint about There's a light...is its length. To me it's about 20 minutes too long and a shorter piece would've sustained my interest more. I feel as much as I really enjoy it, after 60 minutes of twinkling piano I'm ready to listen to something a little more upbeat. I still think there are some completely gorgeous moments however and I'll listen to this much more than I will When We Return...

I agree with this. I think it may have been possible to have separated the piece into tracks, based on the readings, and also where the mood and sounds shift - there are a few places where it's like a new track starting. I understand that David sees this as one piece, but it is easier to get to know listening to pieces. It's hard to find the time to sit down and listen to a whole hour or more of music in one sitting.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Simonp wrote: can't imagine sitting ina room with friends all listening to Plight & Premonition while staring at each other.

:smt028 :smt102 :smt030

Today I went to see the "Picasso And Spanish Modernity" exhibition in Florence and I had There's A Light... as my soundtrack and it worked excellently. Especially while viewing Vibración de Granada by José Val del Omar.
My friend Pedro ( :smt028 ) agrees.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:30 pm

ob8 wrote:Here is a review of the album from the Allmusic website :

http://www.allmusic.com/album/theres-a- ... 0002767183

Sounds just like another one of Chad's "everybody". :lol: (Don't get upset, Chad, you can send me to hell in 2 weeks time.)
In truth, a brilliant review. Love the ending: "While some might find There's a Light That Enters Houses with No Other House in Sight difficult on the first listen or two, it should resonate with anyone who engages in it sincerely. Sylvian's goal in this collaboration was to celebrate and sonically illustrate Wright. He does so with a provocative but understated sense of adventure that grasps the poet's work correctly as equally welcoming and mercurial."
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:33 pm

P.S. It says "it should" resonate, not that "it must".
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:40 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Today I went to see the "Picasso And Spanish Modernity" exhibition in Florence and I had There's A Light... as my soundtrack and it worked excellently. Especially while viewing Vibración de Granada by José Val del Omar.
My friend Pedro ( :smt028 ) agrees.

thanks for the references. :smt023

inkinthewell wrote:In truth, a brilliant review.

indeed so. although saying the piece is now "an almost entirely different musical context" as compared to the Kilowatt Hour version is something of a stretch.
btw, there's a very good recording of the KWh Bologna date on Dimeadozen (search it under "kilowatt hour" not "david sylvian") and I have to say I miss Mathieu's contribution in the new version.

I would really hope David is going to cook up something altogether different any time soon. the way I see it now, the whole Samadhi decade was more of the same. I don't mean that stylistically, I mean that emotionally.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Simonp wrote: I often wonder what he would've presented to us on the Implausible Beauty tour given the line up and lack of drummer. Personally I think it would've been something quite special.

I have to agree with that. I would have expected cellist Hildur Gudnadottir to seriously come to the forefront. She's continuously been quite a revelation to me since I first learned of her music. Each release is unique. It's a shame that Sylvian wasn't capable of going through with the planned tour.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:11 am

Another review:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/david-sylvian-theres-a-light-that-enters-houses-with-no-other-house-in-sight-by-phil-barnes.php

Let's be clear, many are not going to be able to cope with a record with this much ambition, love of language and filmic improvisation. Reviews have been sharply divided between the ecstatic and the hatchet job -but for those prepared to listen this is an intriguing, emotionally unsettling, piece that will challenge, defying categorisation and analysis for many years to come. Isn't that what great music and art is meant to be all about?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 am

Ah, I don't know...too much hyperbole for me. "piece that will challenge, defying categorization and analysis for many years to come"
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Blemished wrote:Another review

Very nice. Thanks.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work