24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Blemished on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:28 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:As for the track itself - I suggest you try speeding the whole recording up (a little like switching a 33RPM record to 45 RMP). Franz ends up sounding like a chirpy chipmunk on acid with The Prodigy going nuts in the background! ;-)

:lol:
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby kitaj on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 pm

I like it very, very much. this after having had a first-listen nasty reaction (never a noun was more appropriate) which prompted me to voice my opinion a little too indiscreetly on DS's FB page which in turn led to having my comments erased and me banned from further commenting. oh well.. 'tis all good.

yes, any mention of Stephan has been omitted in DS's introduction text on his website as well. I was fond of his parts on the Kilowatt Hour version of the piece, but without them the piece's current incarnation feels more like a veritable composition with a clearer subdivision of its internal phases than a long ambient piece, and I like that.

and I adore Wright's poems. Baht's 'purging' instincts make me shake my head in benevolent laughter - these texts are the very reason this composition exists! they are beyond terrific; I'm so impressed by them. in fact, I would dispute with David one thing alone: that he failed to share the credits with Frank for this. just as I would dispute that he hadn't done the same with all the musicians from the Manafon sessions for that album. we do know his crediting decisions can be inscrutable..
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 pm

On the subject of references to Stephan Mathieu being removed from David's introduction to the new work on davidsylvian.com, I also notice that Wandermude has been removed from the discography page on the website.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby shoop on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:47 pm

From Mathieu's site:

In an attempt to get some recent rumors out of the way –
I have not been part of The Kilowatt Hour since the final live dates were played in September 2013. Hence I was never involved in the production of a CD titled there’s a light that enters houses with no other houses in sight.
My own dedication to Franz Wright will be published in 2015 by Editions Mego.
Enjoy your October,
Stephan

So... is he releasing a version of the same Wright dialogue? That seems awkward, and probably how this falling out came to be.
you know me- i'll do what i want.
shoop
Regular
Regular

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 pm

kitaj wrote:I like it very, very much. this after having had a first-listen nasty reaction (never a noun was more appropriate) which prompted me to voice my opinion a little too indiscreetly on DS's FB page which in turn led to having my comments erased and me banned from further commenting. oh well.. 'tis all good.

Were you banned because your comments were too abrasive or simply negative?
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

shoop wrote:From Mathieu's site:

In an attempt to get some recent rumors out of the way –
I have not been part of The Kilowatt Hour since the final live dates were played in September 2013. Hence I was never involved in the production of a CD titled there’s a light that enters houses with no other houses in sight.
My own dedication to Franz Wright will be published in 2015 by Editions Mego.
Enjoy your October,
Stephan

So... is he releasing a version of the same Wright dialogue? That seems awkward, and probably how this falling out came to be.

Interesting, if this is due to a falling out with DS. I've lost count of how many artists DS has fallen out with...

Notice how DS wasn't mentioned, when Stephan mentioned David's CD.
Last edited by Nicrobliz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm

karnsculpture wrote:I don't understand why some others think this piece is not accessible, I think the voice and the content adds a huge amount and it's not hard to listen to musically at all.

If you don't understand then you certainly have no grasp of individuality or personal tastes.

Btw, it's not inaccessible - it simply doesn't move or inspire some listeners. Different strokes...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:20 pm

silentwings wrote:I also notice that Wandermude has been removed from the discography page on the website.

Interestingly, apart from DS and Nine Horses, there are no other releases currently available for purchase on Samadhisound. I wonder what happened there.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:45 am

Nicrobliz wrote:Interestingly, apart from DS and Nine Horses, there are no other releases currently available for purchase on Samadhisound. I wonder what happened there.

This is old news. Samadhisound announced months ago that they were only going to releasing music by David in the future. It's probably a financial move I suspect.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 am

That IS strange that Wandermunde has been removed from Sylvian's discography listing though.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 am

Simonp wrote:
Nicrobliz wrote:Interestingly, apart from DS and Nine Horses, there are no other releases currently available for purchase on Samadhisound. I wonder what happened there.

This is old news. Samadhisound announced months ago that they were only going to releasing music by David in the future. It's probably a financial move I suspect.

Thanks for clarifying.

That shows you how much I keep abreast of the label's activities. Apart from 'Blemish' and Harold Budd's 'Avalon Sutra', the rest of Samadhisound's releases were unsatisfying.
Last edited by Nicrobliz on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 am

Simonp wrote:That IS strange that Wandermunde has been removed from Sylvian's discography listing though.

I never noticed that. I would agree.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 am

Frank Wright's vocal delivery is a little hard to decipher for me at times, but my hearing is not what it was and lung cancer changes your vocal chords. My father's voice altered drastically in the last few months of his life and understanding him on the phone was incredibly hard. I made the effort though and I am making an effort to really hear what Wright is saying and wanting us to understand. So far I find it incredibly moving in parts and the music is stellar. There are moments of bliss here; sound bites that caused a frisson of pleasure to run through me. I was ready for "something" from David and not disappointed. The tales of anguish and woe I heard about him lead me to believe he was a dead man walking and the only thing we'd hear about him would be his obituary. This is a worthy release and very Sylvian. That's all I wanted.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:49 pm

missouriman wrote:Frank Wright's vocal delivery is a little hard to decipher for me at times, but my hearing is not what it was and lung cancer changes your vocal chords. My father's voice altered drastically in the last few months of his life and understanding him on the phone was incredibly hard. I made the effort though and I am making an effort to really hear what Wright is saying and wanting us to understand. So far I find it incredibly moving in parts and the music is stellar. There are moments of bliss here; sound bites that caused a frisson of pleasure to run through me. I was ready for "something" from David and not disappointed. The tales of anguish and woe I heard about him lead me to believe he was a dead man walking and the only thing we'd hear about him would be his obituary. This is a worthy release and very Sylvian. That's all I wanted.

I needed something to grab my attention to force me to buy this new release as i really wasn't sure that it was a work i was going to be enamored with, but the above words were so eloquently put that i feel i have to at least give it a listen.

Respect.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chad on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:29 pm

baht habit wrote:So great to have you back Chad -- It's encouraging to see that you've picked up right where you left off...still remain determined to declare that "what we all want" conforms exactly to your personal preferences?

hey baht... that really hangs you up for some reason huh? sorry about that. I do actually exchange mail with many fans that are anxiously waiting for a real singer-songwriter album from him. there are quite a few on this forum too.

but then again maybe he is all done. writers block may have taken control. he hasn't used his voice in what 6 years now? and that was more spoken word then actual singing. ftr, David has been one of my favorite artists for decades. so this trek has been extremely hard to witness. it seems like he's putting much more effort into special edition packaging then the music contained within. I have no expectations but I'm still holding on to the possibility of great things. so yeah I keep saying maybe next time... :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work