24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Although i "HATE" downloading :wink: I welcome you to this forum.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Welcome Fubiria,

What are your impressions of David's latest release ?
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fubiria on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:47 am

well...not easy to say. First of all let me say I'm not native english speaker which I think is crucial for this work.
I should spend a LOT of time first findind the lyrics, reading them and understanding them deeply in order to get the work properly.
That being said, I think I will not find the time to do that. Music is very important for me but the truth is that I listen to it in the car most times. I have a lot of time (almost 1 1/2 hours) of driving to the work and back home and I listen to music in those moments. At home is harder because of family.
So, going back to my thoughts of the record, I think that Wright's contribution is central but meaningless to me and his voice os not very nice to my ears. A little bit of this would have been nice, but not so much.
Talking about the music: now we have several years of practice around this kind of music...thanks to David. I think I like it more as time passes.
Let me say that Baht has sent me his edited version and I think it's much more enjoyable. maybe not in the car, but I will find times when I will enjoy that version. I don't think I will listen to David's version much more...
I was sure it was going to happen before I bought it, but it was a matter of supporting David that I wanted to buy it anyway because I alway find al least interesting what he does.

Best regards
fubiria
Noob
Noob

Postby Chad on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:27 pm

fubiria wrote:I have bought it and it comes with no digital booklet!

Has anyone seen the digital booklet?

Best regards

Hey fubiria, welcome to camp david. So you want artwork with them fries huh? ... thats gonna cost you :) I see you're impressed with frank wright too. Dont worry comrade, baht's got some remixes for you.

Sorry to burst that bubble foal, but the sunday times is far from major. That is unless you're following susan boyles quest to have jay-z's baby. So much good music out this month and they come up with that one. ha ha fuckin eh' ...different stroke I guess.

The Twilight Sad ,Wilco and Andy Stott are nice spins. And that London Grammar record is still amazing.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:56 pm

fubiria wrote:Let me say that Baht has sent me his edited version and I think it's much more enjoyable. I don't think I will listen to David's version much more...

Thank you fubiria. I'm very pleased that you're enjoying that. I admit that I was apprehensive about a few of the slightly jarring edits which were spliced out of necessity - but as I listen while renovating the newly purchased home, the more familiar it gets and it makes sense. And now the overall flow from one section to another sounds quite acceptable to my ears. I did put some care into it so I'm really glad you like it.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:30 pm

javier wrote: I don't know for sure, of course, but I'd guess DS isn't in a position to kick back and release whatever he likes regardless of sales.

Yeah he's milking it. It'll be weak limited editions from here on out unless something changes.

svendutchmountains wrote:
So I guess that`s the end of the line for the trolls! Ciao Chad! Guess you are better off listening to Billy Ray Cyrus "Achy Breaky Heart"!

ah … you got me there big sven. good one.

svendutchmountains wrote: ...a month or so ago there was a question on his FB from a fan asking David whether he would go back to the more traditional form of music. The response back was that David did not foresee this and although he might use his voice during recordings it would not be in a "recognizable form".

Tried to find the actual post/reply just now but could not find it...

Is this true? sounds kinda fishy.

Blemished wrote:First, he's lost the studio - that wonderful barn - that gave him the space to produce Blemish, 9H and Manafon etc. 9H, for example, was born from Steve living with him in NH and exploring the new studio over an extended period of time. I don't see that world coming back anytime soon…

Second, I'm not sure his voice is what it was. To my ears, his voice on 'You don't know me know' was very, very different. Pure speculation, but maybe he's less comfortable with it now. …

Good Point Blemish. I've been thinking about this too. I think 9H is probably his most crucial work since Secrets and it wasn't that long ago. It was certainly his last strong vocal performance. I wonder what happened back then? That crossroads was a critical point in his life, both personally and professionally. I think he got on the wrong path.

Foales Arishes wrote:Working on a laptop is fine, and you can do an amazing amount of work with very minimal gear these days, but for someone like DS I would have thought a proper, private, creative space would be essential... somewhere to soak in the process and innovate

Despite what others have said, this is a money issue. The fact that he seems to be floating in the wind could be limiting his abilities to record properly, especially vocals. This is no doubt a huge factor- hence the half-ass'd frank wright release.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Chad, I know the current release is not to your liking and I would prefer to hear David singing instead of a release with recited poetry on (no matter how dark and amusing I find it) but surely it's a good thing that The Sunday Times has the album publicised and maybe it will introduce David to people who have not heard of him or maybe it will get old fans who may have drifted away to have a gander at what he has been up to in the last few years.

My estimation of David has gone down immensely after last year in Italy, and I am not talking because of the music.

But I still think it's a good thing he is releasing material and it's a good thing that we are on the 11th page discussing things. It's surely better than no new releases and this place being a ghost town ?
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:44 am

ob8 wrote:My estimation of David has gone down immensely after last year in Italy, and I am not talking because of the music.

He did something bad in Italy??
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:21 pm

In my eyes yes.

He had his minder "Danny Boy' step in when he was asked for a photo. David now apparently does not do them. Even for people who had put up posters and spent their free time promoting the show. They were passionate about David but he was not passionate about them.

He seemed more interested in his rice milk.

This was the man I once looked up to and idolised.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:00 pm

ob8 wrote:He had his minder "Danny Boy' step in when he was asked for a photo. David now apparently does not do them.

That sounds truly bizarre.

Sylvian: "Sorry, I don't do photos, but this is my minder, Danny - he'll stand in for me in your photo"

ob8 (later, to friends): "...and here's a picture of me with David Sylvian's minder...!".
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 pm

ob8 wrote:He had his minder "Danny Boy' step in when he was asked for a photo.

Probably the pipes, the pipes were calling.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 am

Well they do say never meet your heroes, and generally this has proved true in my case... I suppose its reasonable not to want cameras stuck in your face all the time, and we as fans of any artist do not have the right to invade their personal space, just so we cab grab a selfie to post on Facebook... not that I'm suggesting that was your intent ob8... so, I don't know; I guess it depends on the circumstances and number of people etc, but having a minder intervene seems rather cold, but I can't say I'm surprised.

...and rice milk... yuk! The DS after show parties don't sound much fun :lol:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Ive met Sylvian a couple of times now and on both occasions he was warm and charming. I didn't ask for photograph to be taken with him because a) I think it's a bit naff and b) I look shit in pictures anyway :) he's well within his rights to not want to have his picture taken anyway. !aybe he had an off night or something but I wouldn't hold it against him

And Chad, I think it's ridiculous to suggest this release is purely what it is because of financial constraints, it's the kind of work he wants to produce now whether we like it or not. He's worked in this manner for years now, exchanging sound files by email. the samadhisound studio was a wonderful space for him to work, yes. But with mobile recording technology you can record almost anywhere these days. Weren't parts of Dead Bees recorded in a hut in the Californian hills? I remember reading that.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Hey hey my my...its better to burn out than it is to rust. Maybe Mark Hollis got it right.

:)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby afternoonfix on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Chad wrote:Hey hey my my...its better to burn out than it is to rust. Maybe Mark Hollis got it right.

:)

nice one
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work