24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby silentwings on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:30 am

In the middle of the piece there are a couple of lines read in another voice other than Franz Wright's (I believe):

"Beneath the Eastern hedge I choose a chrysanthemum
And my gaze wanders to the Southern hills"

The voice is highly treated and tremulous at first, but then clear.

These are words by the ancient Chinese poet Tao Yuan-Ming (365-427), and are quoted in the novel "Three Cornered World" (also known as Kusamakura or "Grass Pillow") by Natsume Suseki. They are very striking words of light in the middle of the piece, and I wonder if David is recalling these words of the protagonist in this book:

"Happily, oriental poets have on occasion gained sufficient insight to enable them to enter the realm of pure poetry.

'Beneath the Eastern hedge I choose a chrysanthemum
And my gaze wanders slowly to the Southern hills'

Only two lines, but reading them, one is sharply aware of how completely the poet has succeeded in breaking free from this stifling world. "
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby mike on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:08 am

I agree I think those words cut through the density of Franz Wright's words, I remember someone saying somewhere that the recording of "Beneath the Eastern hedge I choose a chrysanthemum And my gaze wanders to the Southern hills" was Stephan Mathieu contribution during the live shows.

I was also wondering why there is no mention of where the sessions were recorded usually it will mention the studios.

Also can anyone shed light on the string section at the end, is it sampled if so by who and where from?

Mike
mike
Noob
Noob

Postby kitaj on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:19 am

Nicrobliz wrote:Were you banned because your comments were too abrasive or simply negative?

I was projecting. never a thing to do, which I never seem to learn. my own problems with someone else's work are only ever my own - I have to keep repeating this.

silentwings wrote:In the middle of the piece there are a couple of lines read in another voice other than Franz Wright's (I believe):

These are words by the ancient Chinese poet Tao Yuan-Ming (365-427), and are quoted in the novel "Three Cornered World" (also known as Kusamakura or "Grass Pillow") by Natsume Suseki. They are very striking words of light in the middle of the piece, and I wonder if David is recalling these words of the protagonist in this book:

"Happily, oriental poets have on occasion gained sufficient insight to enable them to enter the realm of pure poetry.

Only two lines, but reading them, one is sharply aware of how completely the poet has succeeded in breaking free from this stifling world. "

ah, wonderful info. thanks. I was wondering about that sample, too.

mike wrote:I agree I think those words cut through the density of Franz Wright's words, I remember someone saying somewhere that the recording of "Beneath the Eastern hedge I choose a chrysanthemum And my gaze wanders to the Southern hills" was Stephan Mathieu contribution during the live shows.

cool. post-gig talk, maybe?

mike wrote:Also can anyone shed light on the string section at the end, is it sampled if so by who and where from?

I was also wondering about this. if it is composed anew, it would be an interesting turn for David. I'm inclined to say it is sampled, especially as the whole seems to be put together on a laptop exclusively (going by David's notes - "composed in transit", as he writes, so no studios to speak of), but it seems like a really long sample to be used without a mention. the string section samples in Ember Glance, for example, were shorter and repeated.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:10 pm

kitaj wrote:
mike wrote:I agree I think those words cut through the density of Franz Wright's words, I remember someone saying somewhere that the recording of "Beneath the Eastern hedge I choose a chrysanthemum And my gaze wanders to the Southern hills" was Stephan Mathieu contribution during the live shows.

Ouch! :smt077
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
kitaj wrote:

Ouch! :smt077

oh - I didn't intend it to be nasty in the least! my too-succint comment should have read: "cool info (thanks!), wonder where it's from? (maybe Stephan told someone this after a TKW gig?)".
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

silentwings wrote:In the middle of the piece there are a couple of lines read in another voice other than Franz Wright's (I believe):

Fantastic insight. Thanks silentwings.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:51 am

My two cents...yuck on the "poetry"...Ok on the music. Skipping this one.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:(...) Ordered the deluxe version.

Got it yesterday and for me the book is a present on its own. Had a short listen and I guess this is something to listen to quietly with your headphones on.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 am

My copy arrived today. Rather lovely thing and I'm looking forward to giving the music a proper listen through headphones tonight. From what I've heard of the music, its reallr quite accessible and not like Sylvian's last longform piece..."When We Return..". Christian Fennesz certainly brings melody to the proceedings albeit in his usual fuzzy processed guitar way. Does anyone know how many of the deluxe edition were produced? Just curious as they appear to have sold out already
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hego on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am

Maybe 1000 , the normal version has a run of 3000. This morning DS announced a second batch of the luxe on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOfficial?fref=ts
hego
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Simonp wrote:My copy arrived today. Rather lovely thing and I'm looking forward to giving the music a proper listen through headphones tonight. From what I've heard of the music, its reallr quite accessible and not like Sylvian's last longform piece..."When We Return..". Christian Fennesz certainly brings melody to the proceedings albeit in his usual fuzzy processed guitar way.

Just realized that John Tilbury's contribution at the 7:15 mark was previously used as incidental music for Amplified Gesture. I still cannot get past tone of the voice, which now reminds me of a cross pollination between Garrison Keillor and Stephen Wright - with a little bit of Art Buchwald and Daniel Schorr thrown in for bad measure. :twisted: Obviously, this is entirely my own failing due to my personal perception, which leaves me unable to appreciate any of the prose.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:48 pm

"Just realized that John Tilbury's contribution at the 7:15 mark was previously used as incidental music for Amplified Gesture. I still cannot get past tone of the voice, which now reminds me of a cross pollination between Garrison Keillor and Stephen Wright - with a little bit of Art Buchwald and Daniel Schorr thrown in for bad measure. :twisted: Obviously, this is entirely my own failing due to my personal perception, which leaves me unable to appreciate any of the prose."

I definitely appreciate Baht's honesty and not blaming David for it like some I have read elsewhere. It's not an easy voice for sure. The Daniel Schorr comparison made me laugh. Yeah, that was one guy with a voice for silent films.

I also put my order in for the deluxe version instantly so if it's numbered I'd appreciate one of the 1000. Got an email from the distribution company today however saying they are waiting for the second batch so kind of pissed off right now.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 am

missouriman wrote:I also put my order in for the deluxe version instantly so if it's numbered I'd appreciate one of the 1000. Got an email from the distribution company today however saying they are waiting for the second batch so kind of pissed off right now.

I can't find any sign of a numbering on the deluxe version (except of course for the page-numbers, the catalogue-number and the running time (64:20)).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 am

I do think if an instrumental version of this was released I would buy it but the talking is really just laughable to me....sounds like some Woody Allen movie character talking some random bullshit... too easy to make fun of. :roll:
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 am

Tin Bird wrote:I do think if an instrumental version of this was released I would buy it but the talking is really just laughable to me....sounds like some Woody Allen movie character talking some random bullshit... too easy to make fun of. :roll:

Well, TIn Ear, it's not "talking" it's poetry. Franz Wright is a poet not some character in a movie. I will take a guess and suggest you have likely never picked one of his books up and read it. And I didn't find it laughable, but I do find your need to troll for confirmation of your opinions amusing and a little sad. We understood the first time you posted. Ok, we get it. You don't understand it and want us to tell you that you are ok. You are ok, Tin Ear. You'll be ok.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work