New David Sylvian Biography

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New David Sylvian Biography

Postby Blemished on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Must be an Oxford thing...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/synthesizer?q=synthesiser

Anyway, I only mention it - and will try and excuse the pedantry - as I think it's a bit unfair to criticise Chris for what is still a recognised UK usage. No excuse for "Satre" though!

I hope that second book does become possible.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm not interested in writing a Sylvian book but I'll support anyone who chooses to.

Nothing I've said is a personal criticism of Chris, I respect what he has done and the central approach of the book, exploring the song lyrics and spiritual influences, is good.

Don't know what happened to the "imminent" book announcement I was told about. We're on Sylvian-time. Just keep checking the official site.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 am

You mean the official site which still has the Christmas card up as the last post :roll: ?
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dconnery1966 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 am

I also noticed that Chris Bigg website has not been finished either, which has had ' website coming soon ' it has

had this on it since the middle of last year :?: so I have no idea what is going on here, anybody in the know :?:

Anyway big apologies from me Paul, I was not having a dig at you mate :oops:

Oh and thanks for yesterday Tin Bird, you made me laugh mate ;-) Just buy the book Tin Bird, and let me know what you

think mate, and I don't know Chris personally honest :lol:

Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 am

Blemished wrote:Must be an Oxford thing...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/synthesizer?q=synthesiser

Anyway, I only mention it - and will try and excuse the pedantry - as I think it's a bit unfair to criticise Chris for what is still a recognised UK usage. No excuse for "Satre" though!

Persisting in my pedantry :D , allow me to point out that I had written that these were annoying minor issues that had nothing to do with the book's value.

Blemished wrote:I hope that second book does become possible.

I second that.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:52 pm

dc...wasn't suggesting you knew him personally, but it was like you were defending the book as if the criticism was directed towards a friend of yours or something. Glad you found it funny (I guess), but I reserve the right to criticize anything I want to and do not feel any allegiance to anyone to buy a book just because they are a Sylvian fan. I may yet buy the book (as I stated), but others' feedback has given my pause.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah know worries there Tin Bird, I understand where you are coming from there :D

Yip everybody is entitled to there opinion, of course they are :wink:

Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am

One last thing: Know that I have a huge amount of respect for anyone that undertakes the daunting task of writing a book. I imagine the number of hours that went in to it's creation were significant and I do not mean in any way to detract from the obviously huge amount of effort that went in to the book. Although I have not read it, I am sure that it was a labor of love. :D
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue May 20, 2014 12:34 pm

This forum is in the book! :D
Although it's not something that was actually posted here, to show how alienated some fans were by Manafon, at page 341 Christopher E. Young quotes the e-mail baht habit received from a perplexed fan and shared here (the first post).
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Tue May 20, 2014 2:58 pm

wow great thread. So all this bitch and moan stuff started way before I showed up. :lol: I think its amazing how many people have bailed out. Just a few of you diehards left carrying the torch. I think we all, secretly or not, wish he'd get his sh!t together.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue May 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Chad wrote:wow great thread. So all this female dog and moan stuff started way before I showed up. :lol: I think its amazing how many people have bailed out. Just a few of you diehards left carrying the torch. I think we all, secretly or not, wish he'd get his sh!t together.

:twisted: Chad, you really might want to actually make an attempt at comprehending that which you are reading before making such remarks.
That thread - which I still cherish fondly, so I am proud that you find it to be a "great thread" - was essentially a sardonic gathering of the irrational anger and rantings from fans which were popping up on other discussion forums and amateur review boards. At the time of the thread, not one member on this forum was ever irrational.....though, come to think of it, one dude on this forum did come somewhat close to that sort of vitriol - I believe he only joined to spout out such intense personal animosity towards an artist who was merely creating art he wished to create - and he attempted to foment a good deal of disrespect to those fans who did not share his viewpoint. Yet that guy eventually drifted away from the forum after expressing his discontent by utilizing the same schtick over and over and over. NOBODY had been forcing him to stay, I can assure you of that. But I did happen to enjoy his contributions. :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue May 20, 2014 5:19 pm

That was a mighty thread...

Chad - I've always wondered if you were ScottR reinvented...you certainly share some opinions :-D

I think it's great that David's work arouse strong reactions. I hope he can give us something else to chew over sooner rather than later. I also wonder whether people's views of that era of his music will change or has changed over time? There's a funny comment in the recent interview with Fennesz where he says how his mother told him she couldn't listen to his first record - thought it was noise. Then, years later, heard some of it and asked why he had stopped recording such beautiful music!

http://www.wonderingsound.com/feature/fennesz-interview/
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Chad on Tue May 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey Baht,

Okay bitch and moan may have been a little over the top but I was really referring to all the members on that thread that aren't here any more. This post from Phil Lawton is priceless -

"I have a daily window within which to play 'Manafon' - it's between three-thirty and four thirty every weekday afternoon.

This is perfect, as I don't get home from work until after six."

Fvckin eh... I haven't laughed that hard in a while. My gut still hurts.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 am

Oh, got it...my apologies. I should turn my previous words around on myself then ---- Perhaps I might want to actually make an attempt at comprehending that which I am reading before making any such remarks. :twisted:
There were undoubtedly a good number of those members on the forum who had become disillusioned with the musical direction Sylvian followed. They lost interest and moved on. They didn't disparage those who did not feel the same way as they did, nor did they feel as though everyone on the forum should share the same inclinations. They merely moved on ---- which is the rational way to handle such discontentment, wouldn't you agree?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed May 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Fair enough Baht. I was thinking of bailing out after that Fennesz k-watt thread anyways. I have to confess to finding some sick pleasure in spinning you guys into a frenzy. I guess my inner troll needed to be fed but even he's gotten bored with it.

I have to say its been fun talking with all of you. I've learned a lot from you guys along the way. Thanks you Baht, dougie, Tin, depeon, QV & Ink for all those great music recommendations over the years. It's nice knowing that there are other like minded people in this world.

So cheers for now. I'll be back when David gets around the bend…
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work