September

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: September

Postby Chad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

hey missouriman,

yeah I like a good debate... no question about that.

I do speak for a lot of people mo-man. but the vast majority have gotten way beyond the point of give-a-sh*t. I would think by now you would understand that... maybe in 26 more days it'll sink in. and you know its not about money, its about enthusiasm. I could put this web site up and manage it for little or no cost but like I said. I'm just not feeling the love anymore. not many are...just a few diehards left like yourself.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:35 pm

ob8 wrote:Chad are you posting on here because you have nothing better to do ?

--You have not even attempted to answer anything I have said, you have just made tried to make some crass jokes.

--Why has this project got lazy written all over it ?

--Because you say so ? :D

ob ... I'm sitting here looking at your post trying to figure what it is you want me to answer to.

I guess instead of saying everyone I should have said the vast majority (proven & documented). you can keep lying and telling yourself otherwise but it doesnt change the facts.

Davids new work doesn't challenge me in any way whatsoever. I find manafon to be the most boring & unchallenging work of his career. instead of challenging me he needs to challenge himself to stay focused and coherent throughout the entire recording process. manafon is a total fricken mess. if thats all he's got left maybe he should give it up.

I think I covered the whole lazy k-watt reasoning pretty well. maybe you could have another go at my post and lob a counterpoint at me.

because you say so...lol. yes I have an opinion on an artist I've been following for over 30 years now. sue me.

you want positive posts ... maybe David should give us something positive to talk about or a change.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey Chad,

Tell me, do me a favour... Humour me... How can you judge The Kilowatt Hour before even having heard it?
My guess is, you're not going to be in Kristiansand tomorrow, or in Pescara or Milano later this month. So, why jump to conclusions? Why judge before you experience?

My five year old daughter often tells me she doesn't like a new dish before she's tried it...

Sad to see such attitude in what I presume is a mature and intelligent human being.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm

baht habit wrote:It's not personal, I just think it is disturbing that you clearly appear to be reveling at the demise of this highly informative forum.

And the average this year has merely been 68 posts per month - April was truly lackluster and drug the average down a bit.

on the contrary baht. I just wish we had more to be excited about here. it would be nice if David would throw us a bone once in a while. a $35 limited edition track isn't what I'm talking about either. 68 posts is a lot more than I figured it would be but is that enough to justify keep it going?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Sven,

never presume someone is a mature and intelligent human being.

I know, i too would like to think they would be if they are a fan of David's music.

He slates TKH but says Fennesz will save the day ?

David needs to challenge himself ? You are not in a position to say that he is not doing that. Ask David if he feels he is challenging himself and then post that. You are not in a position to presume anything. In fact it's the other way round.

Chad, your words are just pure drivel and I feel sorry for you that after 30 years of listening to the most most talented visionary musician (in my opinion) that you feel so cheated as to keep on posting a succession of infantile posts.

Please everyone from now on ignore his posts and do not respond unless he qualifies a point.

Chad four words.

Emily Dickinson, utterly magical.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Chad wrote:hey missouriman,

yeah I like a good debate... no question about that.

I do speak for a lot of people mo-man. but the vast majority have gotten way beyond the point of give-a-sh*t. I would think by now you would understand that... maybe in 26 more days it'll sink in. and you know its not about money, its about enthusiasm. I could put this web site up and manage it for little or no cost but like I said. I'm just not feeling the love anymore. not many are...just a few diehards left like yourself.

Yet you continue to log in...
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:19 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:Hey Chad,

Tell me, do me a favour... Humour me... How can you judge The Kilowatt Hour before even having heard it?
My guess is, you're not going to be in Kristiansand tomorrow, or in Pescara or Milano later this month. So, why jump to conclusions? Why judge before you experience?

My five year old daughter often tells me she doesn't like a new dish before she's tried it...

Sad to see such attitude in what I presume is a mature and intelligent human being.

my experience with live improvisation is that 90% of the time is spent fiddle-farting and 10% in an actual grove. especially when dealing with so called non-musician types. fennesz is awesome live but throw in a coupla rookies and all sh*t could break loose. I could be wrong though, maybe they'll actually take some time to rehearse some structured materials. maybe they'll play life in tokyo and David will bust out some vintage moves.

are you going to the shows? maybe you could nick a copy and put it on line for us to listen to & discuss? :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 pm

ob8 wrote:Chad four words.

Emily Dickinson, utterly magical.

you got me good with that one oby ... its like ...a stab ..to ..the gut. :shock: gutterly magical is more like it. you forgot the g.

ob8 wrote:Please everyone from now on ignore his posts and do not respond unless he qualifies a point.

what fricken point are you referring to oby? just like a good ole tyrant. if you cant control the discussion take the ball and go home. talk about childish. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby pradakid900 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

It's quality discourse like this that always keeps me coming back! :smt006
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm

This thread was started on the 1st of September and this is the 25th post :smt110 , but that does not matter much. Statistics are not necessarily as easy to interpret as they are to read. Just to make myself clear, if David Sylvian was now a Justin Bieber-type pop-star and he got 20 posts a month or even 200, that would be a total failure. Considering the path he's taken in the past decade, and that this choice has without a doubt split his fans in two (or three, or four, or more), even if there had been only 20 posts from the beginning of the year it would have been a good result.
Whatever your view on what he has been/is producing, I think that the challenge in his output is undeniable (just look at these last posts: "He's doing good" "No, he's doing bad" "No no no, he's doing good"!). It's not easy-listening, that's for sure. If it is a pleasant listening is a more personal matter, but we shouldn't abuse anyone for not-liking/liking what we do/don't like, or think that our taste is king (well, it is, but in our own heads only; His Royal Highness Our Taste cannot, must not, become a tyrant to others).
I will be going to one of the Kilowatt Hour events and am looking forward to it. And I can't wait to see some feedback from tomorrow night's performance.

P.S. It is interesting to point out that there are 201 posts (including this) on the 8 most recent threads created on the Solo Work section (September; New installation project in Japan; a fire in the forest remix; A world of change; David's facebook page; New single?; The Latest Tour Info...; The Kilowatt Hour) but there are 13421 views. Some people may have nothing to say, but they sure are interested in what is going on.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 am

Some people may have nothing to say, but they sure are interested in what is going on.

true. like me.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Chad I have no desire whatsoever to control or dictate the conversation.

If you don't like Davids recent material then that's fine with me. It's all a matter of taste and there is no question that his recent work challenges even his most ardent of followers.

But you make these sweeping statements, they may reflect how you feel but you are generalising broadly and I am not sure how you come to assume that we all feel the same way.

You said " David's lack of enthusiasm is contagious to say the least."

David was never a great fan of touring so for him to undertake his latest project is him showing a lack of enthusiasm ? I suspect Fennesz and Matthieu would also disagree with that statement. Not to mention a whole lot of fans who can't wait to hear TKH. Your lack of enthusiasm (I hope) is not contagious. :?

This "general lack of enthusiasm from David that's killing it for everyone. If he doesn't give a sh*t why should we ?

Has David told you he does not care ? Where did you get that from. As that's news to me. I do give a sh*t, that's why i am telling you. I don't give a sh*t if you don't give a sh*t but don't tell us all that we don't.

He is immersed in his work and and his studiousness and attention to detail are still there. He is still a perfectionist, it's just the material now is not for you.

TKH has lazy written all over it ?

This project for me echoes what David undertook in '92, I don't know all the ins and outs this time but they must have gone into a studio and improvised together to find a common direction and voice for this project. I cannot for the life of me see how this is lazy. This is challenging for the three artists involved and challenging for the audiences to hear.

"He needs to stay focused and coherent throughout the entire recording process. Manafon is a fricken mess"

I don't think David would agree or any of the other artists who contributed to those sessions. Amplified Gesture gives a great insight into the musicians on there and their interaction and relationship with the music they contribute to. Think you should watch, mmm maybe not !

Strangely enough neither do i and neither does everyone on here !

You say you have been following David for over thirty years. Think you have started to lag behind a little and you need to catch up ;-)

David is giving some of us positive things to talk about. You should not be calling TKH until you have heard it. I would still say you need repeat listenings to take it all in. Like Manafon and Blemish. You need time with them, and you will get out of them what you put in.

In two weeks time I will know where I will be and you know what I will have a big smile on my face and I will be looking forward to what unfolds. I may not like it. But I have gone with an open mind and ready to enjoy the experience.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby depeon on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:13 pm

In two weeks time I will know where I will be and you know what I will have a big smile on my face

Well lucky you Obe that knows where you are going to be in two weeks time, i have trouble knowing where i will be tomorrow. Maybe i have taken David's idea of Abandon/Hope to literately but as he himself has said "it's been this way for years" In a previous post on this thread you mentioned Emily Dickinson and it just so happens that while i was jogging this morning that song came on my ipod and yes it it beautiful and i thought of the Manafon album and Blemish and the discussion on this thread regarding where Sylvian stands now and i have to say that prior to hearing Emily (this morning) i was very much agreeing with Chad but i remembered how much i love SMG and various pieces from Blemish and i surmised that maybe they weren't as bad as i thought but the fact remains that i can not listen to either Blemish or Manafon in their entirety. Maybe there is something wrong with me but sometimes i just wish that David would cheer up, yes he has had a divorce but he has also produced two children who i am sure have given him some wonderful moments and yet he never chooses to share the lighter moments of his life with us. I don't know what to make of where David is right now but personally i think he looks ill but in respect to where his music is, is it right that we should listen to something repeatedly in the hope that we can somehow connect with it? Sometimes i think that David has his eye on how history will judge him, sometimes he tries too hard and yet he still has those wonderful moments (the vocal on Emily, the detachment of the only daughter or the brilliance of snowborne sorrow to name a few) so i will tune in again. In the meantime time good luck to you all and all your various opinions.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dizrythmia on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:47 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Some people may have nothing to say, but they sure are interested in what is going on.

you can count me as one of those people. i live in the states so i never get to see any of his live shows unfortunately. also i haven't bought any of his stuff in a while, i think the last thing i bought was nine horses' second album. it isn't that i started hating his output, i just had a brief hiccup where my attention got drawn elsewhere musically. by the time i came back, i didn't know where to start so i just didn't buy any of it. ugh. that coupled with being a new member on here makes me trepidatious and not want to post anything.
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am

depeon wrote:Well lucky you ob8 that knows where you are going to be in two weeks time

Nothing supernatural, depeon: he's just going to The Kilowatt Hour performance in Pescara on the 21th of September. :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work