September

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: September

Postby Chad on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am

I have nothing to prove to you baht so you can get off that high horse.

I'm trying to find a post where I questioned anyones intellect. I'm sure I've done that before I don't see it here. most of the personal attacks have come from you guys. I could probably cry foul but I see it as being part of a spirited conversation. the artist is fair game though. after all, thats why we're here. I call em like I see em - good or bad.

they're just opinions baht. why take it so seriously?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:43 pm

I have no horse... though if I did, it wouldn't be high for I would not allow it to inhale. :-)
But I do apologize if it seemed that I was haranguing you, so that you got defensive. I was just calling it as I believe that I've seen it. Perhaps I've been incorrect in my assessment of you. Perhaps you don't value your opinions higher than those of others and perhaps you have not inferred that certain fans are simply blind loyalists willingly being duped.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Chad wrote:
I just hope and would like to think David will get tired of playing in empty halls and making records that nobody listens to.

Selfless as usual Chad, your are a credit to yourself.

You say you have followed David for 30 years. He never has and never will pander to what people want him to make. He is happy with what he is doing now and he is fully aware the effect that will have on a lot of fans. But there will always be us nobodies.

He stepped out of the comfort zone making "Ghosts" and that spirit of exploration and pushing his song writing boundaries and abilities has continued all his career since then.

Chad have you bought Died In The Wool ? I Should Not Dare is one of the most beautiful and haunting tracks ever. It seems to me so potent considering the passing of Mick. I would say a fan of Davids work could not like that.

Have you bought Do You Know Me Now ? You moan about Davids direction but there are still gems in there for the fans who like a less broad minded approach.

I hope David goes on following his heart, in whichever direction it takes. I may not like every thing he makes but I know it will come from his heart and for that he has earned my loyalty forever.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Changing the subject, but I just went to You Tube to listen to "September" and got a message that it and "Secrets of the Beehive" has been blocked in America by someone called "The Harry Fox Agency" for copyright reasons. Anyone know who the two monkeys the "Harry Fox Agency" is and why they're allowed to do this? Gee, I wonder if they'll be blocking the rest of David's music? :evil: :(
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dizrythmia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Fire Rose 45 wrote:Changing the subject, but I just went to You Tube to listen to "September" and got a message that it and "Secrets of the Beehive" has been blocked in America by someone called "The Harry Fox Agency" for copyright reasons. Anyone know who the two monkeys the "Harry Fox Agency" is and why they're allowed to do this? Gee, I wonder if they'll be blocking the rest of David's music? :evil: :(

apparently they're some huge music publishing company. about a month or so ago i tried uploading two japan videos that i couldn't find on youtube (that should've been a huge red flag to me) and got a notice that they were blocked globally. can't remember by whom but that name sounds familiar, could've been them. now i'm thisclose to having my youtube account closed, sigh. youtube's become such a big mess. if this stuff were uploaded by the record company or some other official capacity, the fans wouldn't be doing it themselves.
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:57 pm

I think it said something about EMI. I know what you mean. I love You Tube, it has so many great things on it. But lately it has started to work my last nerve, what with all the ads and stuff. And the other day someone said they heard they are going to start charging a membership fee. It's really wearing thin with me. :x
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hego on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 pm

OBB wrote:

Chad have you bought Died In The Wool ? I Should Not Dare is one of the most beautiful and haunting tracks ever. It seems to me so potent considering the passing of Mick. I would say a fan of Davids work could not like that.

Have you bought Do You Know Me Now ? You moan about Davids direction but there are still gems in there for the fans who like a less broad minded approach.

I hope David goes on following his heart, in whichever direction it takes. I may not like every thing he makes but I know it will come from his heart and for that he has earned my loyalty forever.

Exactly what I think and feel.
hego
Regular
Regular

Postby Blood of a Poet on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Post by javier on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 pm

in the mid 1990s I could hardly have imagined the community of friends in my life at that time. A mixed collection of DJs, musicians, yoga and alternative therapists, artists and scientists. Some were professional 9-5 workers while others were night owls or lived more bohemian lifestyles. With a large shared house, there was never a shortage of conversation, energy, new friends-of-friends dropping by.
What kept things "solid" was the common interests and related interests, and shared outlook - from music and clubs, to self-improvement and an open, (in general) caring lifestyle. Everyone seemed to revel in helping everyone else.

20 years later, and of course things are different. Many are married with families, others have moved to new countries to begin new chapters in their lives, some took on more traditional careers and lifestyles, and a few are still partying and clubbing on a regular basis.

I may not share daily warmth and conversation with those people anymore, but I value the memories and simply accept that their choices and mine no longer align. I don't criticize them, I have no right to do that. One guy, for example, has become a political activist dedicated to things with which I disagree. But I don't criticize him, I accept he is following his own path, because he believes in it. And he owes me nothing. And I still value and am grateful for the friendship we shared years ago.

Any relationship, platonic or otherwise, is like this. It changes over time. The relationship between friends who have been married 15 years looks very different today than back then. And as our tastes change, and our life circumstances change, and our influences change it is inevitable that our paths diverge.

And although we can look back at past periods and how ideal they seemed, we certainly don't want them anymore. Sure, we can feel a tinge of melancholy as our current social scene may not be as eclectic or vibrant as then. Or occasionally long for that buzz of excitement at the overall sense of community and adventure. But that was then and this is now.

I loved the 3-day parties and unpredictable adventures we'd have and spontaneous trips we'd take in those responsibility-free times. I often have the thought that I'd love to have that again now!

But the truth is I wouldn't, because I have other things to do now, so many great things in life that didn't exist back then, new priorities, different interests, and I definitely don't want the hassle of the 2 days after-party recovery!

And that applies equally to our relationship with an artist and their work. Influences, styles, priorities, interests, beliefs, abilities, circumstances change. So their work changes. And so too our own tastes may change. That's not bad, or good, it's just the nature of things.

We might look back with fond memories at how things used to be compared to the present, but have no right to complain about the artists' choices. It's their life.

If their fans are still interested, they will follow. If not, they won't. And new fans, like new friends, will come. Or not. It's simple really.

Postby kitaj on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 am

you've said it all and said it well, Javier.

Postby natsume on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 am

Thank you Javier.

Brilliant Trees came out the summer I turned 16, and I had only been exposed to Japan for about two years prior to that. I was extremely fascinated by the change, the shift from Tin Drum to BT in such a short time. I have, happily for me, extremely eclectic tastes in many areas, and I am sure witnessing this change with Sylvian was influential in this regard. He taught me that with him, expect the unexpected. I have been happy to follow his path since that time, I am always interested in what he does. I don't like all of it, but that doesn't matter. Integrity has never been lost.
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Previous

Return to Solo Work